News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 line lead outs and flying lines.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
3 line lead outs and flying lines.
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
Hi All,

Is there anything I need to know about setting up the lead outs and flying lines for a 3 line system (I have J. Roberts, G-S, and Brodak systems).  Is everything just made up the same lengths?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 3 line lead outs and flying lines.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »
Bill,
Not everything is equal, here is how I do it. I adjust the leadouts to match the handle. (the throttle line will be longer than up/down. ) Then the three flying lines are the same length. To do this I use a jig. The bellcrank is mounted on a board long enough to accommodate the leadouts and the handle. I make the leadouts to match the handle and your done.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
I suggest this:

Make a new gas pedal leadout on the handle so that all three handle leadouts are equal length at high speed (and of course level flipper).
Build the plane the same way: All equal at high speed (and level flipper).
If you hit those two right, you can make all the lines equal with no need for adjustment.

Take along an assortment of line clips in case you need to tweak it a little.

Paul Smith

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »
 I say old boy, Flipper ?
mike potter

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
We assembled an old kit that called the thing in back that goes up & down "the flipper" and sort of liked the term.
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:59 PM »
Was it a Jetco Dolphin?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
Was it a Jetco Dolphin?

Hi Bill,

I know how to set up the lead outs on a Dolphin, but no instructions for the 3 line ones. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
We were polking a little fun it your use of "flipper" instead of elevator. Dolphins have flippers.  ;)
mike potter

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
Everybody has their own method of doing this, but there are a few universal truths. Obviously the handle has no built-in provisions for adjusting the length of the lines. You will want to have adjustment capability on the elevator pushrod, either a threaded clevis at the elevator, or a threaded ball link on the bellcrank, or some such thing. The only way to adjust the length of the throttle line is by changing to longer or shorter line clips.

If your airplane will have leadouts, then I recommend making the leadouts match the handle. Then you do your best to make three equal length lines. By the way, I recommend pre-stretching your wire before you make the lines, because they will grow a bit when a load is applied. In spite of your best efforts, you will probably have to fiddle with clip lengths a bit. If you are a hard point stunt handle, custom make your own line clips kind of guy, this will already be familiar to you. If not, then buy an assortment of different size clips from Brodak. To check the throttle line rigging, disconnect the pushrod from the carburetor, then pull back on the trigger on the handle, and verify that the throttle line doesn't go slack. If it does, the throttle line is too long. If you push the trigger forward and the up/down lines go slack, then the throttle line is too short. Ideally, you can move the trigger through the full range of movement, and no line ever goes slack. Once you have this as good as you can get it, then hook the pushrod back up to the engine and adjust as required. It will be likely that the throttle pushrod will have more travel than the engine requires. This is bad because it will limit the movement of the bellcrank. To correct this, you may need to extend the throttle arm or replace it with a longer one.

This process can seem daunting at first, but if approached methodically, each individual step is not difficult. Best of luck with it!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »
Oh, and "Flipper" was a dolphin  ;D

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »
There are some line clip making tools that you can find over on the stunt side for sale. I've been given a few clips of various lengths and they work great for adjusting the center line. If you make up a bunch and keep them in your box it makes rigging a bit easier.
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »
And just like stunt,  make one set of lines for each plane.   I have gotten by with one handle for years, but am getting more than one handle for my planes now.   The new radios should simplify carrier flying now or make it more complicated, depending on how you look at it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here