News:

• June 01, 2024, 12:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying Pancake is now in Dallas  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flying Pancake is now in Dallas
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »

The V173 'Flying Pancake' has been restored and is now at Dallas' Love Field.  This link is a newspaper article about it.
As some of you know, this was the flying, proof-of-concept test model of the XF5U-1 'Skimmer' design.  The V173 was flown many times, but is not a designated 'Carrier Aircraft' and the Skimmer was never flown, so the design gets no scale points, but there is an eligible Nostalgia era design for a profile version.  There is a thread here about my build of this version.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Flying-Pancake-Takes-Up-Residence-at-Dallas-Love-Field-144388875.html

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Flying Pancake is now in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Mike, thanks for the heads up. Great story about the restoration. Bob Heywood are you there.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
By the way, if you go read the story, there is a video and a slideshow --

Click on the large photo at the top and you get the video --

Click on the smaller photo down the page and you get the slideshow.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
Mike, thanks for the heads up. Great story about the restoration. Bob Heywood are you there.
Thanks
Wayne

Got it!

Thanks.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
I believe the XF5U-1 meets these AMA requirements:

b. Aircraft is designated as a carrier aircraft by an acceptable source (in cases where actual carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing are not documented).

So gets 100 scale points in class I & II if built to match the scale three views.

The XF5U-1 profile version is not eligible for nostagila for the same reason the Sterling Skyshark isn't, not enough wing area. I figure about 260sq in.
                                                                      Mike
mike potter

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »
For Nostalgia, you may be correct that the XF5U would have received bonus points.  The bonus points rule was worded differently in the 74-75 rulebook.  The present day rules require that the full-scale plane had been "successfully flown".  The lone XF5U which was completed was taxi tested, but never flown.  The point is moot, however, since there are no (known) Class1 or Class2 models designed or published prior to the cutoff date, so the 100 point Nostalgia bonus would not apply.

As for the Profile version, no bonus points apply to Nostalgia Profile.  The published plans are ~305 sq.in. plus 'ailevators'.  They were legal for profile in 1972 and were flown by several - including stunthanger member Bob Heywood who is one of the contributors to the original article in AAM.  Here is his description from one of the threads mentioned above:

"The model was originally published in American Aircraft Modeler, June 1972. It does qualify for the Historical Bonus.

The Span is 19-3/4 in (across the main lifting surface). The Length is 23-5/8 in (spinner tip to rear of elevator). The area is 300 in. sq.+. It is a legal Profile Carrier model. I have a blueline taken from Frank's original tracing as well as a copy of AMA # 32545. I assure you that they are the same plan.
"

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
Both mine and Frank Scott's original Profile Navy Carrier models of the Vought XF5U-1 qualified as legal entries at the 1972 Glenview NATS. We didn't challenge the really fast models but did have a lot of fun. My plane was featured in the AMA NATS report published in the November 1972 issue of one of the national modelling magazines. This, and this alone, is sufficient to make the model eligible for the Historic Bonus under NCS Nostalgia Rules.

The model is scaled @ 6.9% of true scale. Our reference was the scale views drawn by Paul R. Matt. Mr. Matt states that his drawings were reviewed for accuracy by Charles Zimmerman, the original inventor, Boone Guyton, the original Vought test pilot as well as a couple of other members of the Vought project team. This plane is a flying wing. Everything seen in the top projection counts as wing area. The area given for the plane is 475 sq.ft. We did our homework correctly. It's legal.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »
the F5U Skimmer (cousin to the V-173) was published in the 1972 June American Aircraft Modeler as a profile for a .35. I have the article and plans on my C/L Carrier CD #6.

Tom Wilk

Joe Just

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
Tom has offered some of his DVD's for past postal Carrier contest.  I highly recomend getting a sxet of plans from him>
Joe

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
sxet, I wanna sxet sounds like great fun  ;D

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »

(Clip)

The bonus points rule was worded differently in the 74-75 rulebook.  The present day rules require that the full-scale plane had been "successfully flown".  The lone XF5U which was completed was taxi tested, but never flown. 

(Clip)

Actually, there are references that state during taxi tests, the XF5U actually became airborne, thus qualifying the design for at least scale competition.  Now, if the carrier rules require that a shipboard takeoff and landing was performed, that is another matter.

Keith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »
I would appreciate a pointer to those references -- my only reference states that according to the test pilot, he "MAY" have briefly gotten slightly off the ground, but felt that it did not really qualify as 'controlled' flight.

(edit)  Again, though, the point is moot in Nostalgia -- You would give up your Nostalgia points, since there are no Class 1 or Class 2 designs of this plane from before the cutoff date (known, at this time).  Nostalgia Profile has no scale points, so it doesn't matter if the prototype ever flew or not, or even if there was a prototype. We already have a Nostalgia era profile.

If one were to consider building a present day version, if the 'successfully flown' part could be verified, one would an engineering nightmare, although John Vlna has suggested that it might be do-able with electric power.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:19:06 AM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
Air Classics ran a feature titled "The Flying Pancakes" by Arthur L. Schoeni, LTV Historian. Schoeni wrote "Although numerous taxi tests were conducted with the first XF5U-1, it never made an actual flight, although it lifted off the runway a short distance." Unfortunately, I only have the article cut out of the magazine and don't know the issue date. None of my other references mention even a brief lift-off.

There is a 35 sec film clip on YouTube showing the fighter during a taxi trial. It is titled Chance Vought XF5U-1 Flying Pancake Fighter.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »
I would appreciate a pointer to those references -- my only reference states that according to the test pilot, he "MAY" have briefly gotten slightly off the ground, but felt that it did not really qualify as 'controlled' flight.

(edit)  Again, though, the point is moot in Nostalgia -- You would give up your Nostalgia points, since there are no Class 1 or Class 2 designs of this plane from before the cutoff date (known, at this time).  Nostalgia Profile has no scale points, so it doesn't matter if the prototype ever flew or not, or even if there was a prototype. We already have a Nostalgia era profile.

If one were to consider building a present day version, if the 'successfully flown' part could be verified, one would an engineering nightmare, although John Vlna has suggested that it might be do-able with electric power.

I will not be home until early next week where I can get to my library.

Charlie Reeves built a profile scale version of the XF5U for the Tucson 1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Scale contest.  It was flown there for several years.  Power was two Norvel .061's.  In that size, the nacelles were almost scale and the nose/cockpit was not far from scale width while adhering to the 1" maximum width parameter for the fuselage and nacelles in profile scale.  Once it got off of the ground, which was kind of tricky as it would want to nose over if power was not slowly applied, it flew just fine.  I will try to get pictures of it posted when I get back.  The point is that the references show that it became airborne during one of those taxi tests.  That means that it flew.  In scale, the rules simply state that the full size aircraft must have actually flown.  The rules do not specify how well that airplane flew or for how long.  Therefore, the thing was acceptable for that scale contest.

Keith

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
here is the plan page for the F5U Skimmer

Tom

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
<snip>

Very do-able with todays motors. This guy even lists his specs. at the end. "Fritella Volante" lol, luv it!

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
nice take off, good flight, but ooh that landing. My b-390 flies well and lands better, but take offs are tricky.

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »
Here are some pictures of Charlie Reeves' XF5U, taken the afternoon of the last day of VSC 2009.  From what I remember it flew quite well, although many of my pictures show it banking in toward the center of the circle (not much of a moment arm for tip weight to be effective!!!).  Charlie did a great job on this plane.  The Pima Aviation Museum in Tucson had a scale model roughly the same size...virtually indistinguishable from Charlie's except for the scale props (rotors?) and no cylinder heads sticking out of the nacelles.
AMA #335952

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
That is about the neatest "Scale" model I have seen.  Looks like science fiction! LL~ LL~

Charlie always does nice work. y1

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
Since it was too windy to fly today, I went over to the Frontiers of Flight Museum to see the flying pancake. Very cool, and hard to believe it flew on a pair of 80 horse Continentals. Here's some pic's to enjoy.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
Two more...

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:53 AM »
Bill:
Your last V-173 pix shows a really nice bit of detailng on the LG strut.  Looks like when the weight was off the gear it flexed down & inward so that the lg struts tucked into a nicely faired & filleted junction.  That was a beautiful bit of detailing on what was a "simple" demonstrator.

Always bugged me that Vought & USN never undertook flight trials of the XF5U.  While outclassed as a fighter the technology would have been darned interesting for some of the close support work that needs to be done...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:17:21 AM »
The V173 'Flying Pancake' has been restored and is now at Dallas' Love Field.  This link is a newspaper article about it.
As some of you know, this was the flying, proof-of-concept test model of the XF5U-1 'Skimmer' design.  The V173 was flown many times, but is not a designated 'Carrier Aircraft' and the Skimmer was never flown, so the design gets no scale points, but there is an eligible Nostalgia era design for a profile version.  There is a thread here about my build of this version.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Flying-Pancake-Takes-Up-Residence-at-Dallas-Love-Field-144388875.html

According to your attached link, it flew MANY times.  I would think that this comes a lot closer to legal than than Bf-109, buit by a country that didn't even have an aircraft carrier. As a practical matter, the extreme low aspect ratio is exactly what I don't want in a carrier plane.

Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
The V173 flew many times, not the XF5U-1.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here