News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .15 profile carrier plane  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
.15 profile carrier plane
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
Guys
Here's your chance to help the new guy.  I flew NW Sport .40 last year and I'm thinking of starting into .15 carrier.  So the question is, which model is a good starter plane?  Ideas anyone?  Post pictures if you can.  Thanks

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: .15 profile carrier plane
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »
A number of people have used the Brodak Profile Clown. Tim Lenore flies one all of the time. Gay hull published an article in Control Line World about his Brewster. Maybe John Vilna can chime in and give you some tips. I am currently building a .15 Guardian as my first .15 attempt that was based on Gary's brewster design. Tim lenore has available videos of Carrier at Brodak's which shows a number of .15 designs. check out Control Line World.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »
A number of people have used the Brodak Profile Clown. Tim Lenore flies one all of the time. Gay hull published an article in Control Line World about his Brewster. Maybe John Vilna can chime in and give you some tips. I am currently building a .15 Guardian as my first .15 attempt that was based on Gary's brewster design. Tim lenore has available videos of Carrier at Brodak's which shows a number of .15 designs. check out Control Line World.
Wayne

I just searched this site for .15 carrier and there is quite a bit of information to review. Have you tried that.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »
Thanks. I'm a little new to this site, but if I go to the top of the page and under search type in '.15 carrier?  Is that the best way to search this site?  I have heard more than once that the flying clown is a good starter .15 carrier.  I have the plans and most likely the wood at home.  Maybe I should start one.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Brodak is suppose to release the kit for the FJ-4-15 before Christmas. It's a pretty durn good 15 Carrier airplane even if I do say so myself :)

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
It would help if Brodak got the kits/plans for the FJ Fury out this year so people could use it and get the 10 points for a Brodak product at his contest.

I've always used the Brodak Junior Lightning Streak which is definitely Brodak-legal and works well.  But if winning The Brodak is not a factor, any 15-size model will do.

Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
Do a search for ".15 carrier sniper". It is great flying, easy to build, and durable. There are lots of them flying, in the hands of novices and experts alike. I still have plans available.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Any of the planes mentioned would be a good choice. Make the lead outs and tip weight adjustable, and mount the controls externally. Carrier planes always seem to need some trimming and these are the primary areas.
John

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
Are the Sniper cores still available?                                   Mike
mike potter

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »
Now Mike, I'm looking at getting some points on you this year.  So, don't read this thread. ;D mw~ LL~

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
The Sniper uses "Halflite" cores from the CoreHouse. They are not currently listed, but I bet Phil would still cut some for you. The root and tip are on the plans, so you could also cut them yourself.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
What about the Akromaster?  I have a kit on the shelf and it flies great.  I just don't know if it's to big or not.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
I personally think it's too big. My original Sniper had longer wings, with a little over 200 sq. inches of area. Fairly early on, I cut a couple of inches off each wing, bringing the area to 178 sq. inches. After one flight I knew I had made the right decision. A 15 that is too big or too light really flounders in the wind.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
Bill
Where can I get the plans for the .15 Sniper?  And can I build the wig out of balsa instead of using the foam cores?  The pictures show it hanging really nice, do they really hang that well?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
I sell the plans. They are $10.00, mailed in the US. I'll send you a PM with my address. You could build a wooden built up wing if you wanted to, but there are no details for that on the plans other than the root and tip ribs, and the plan view of the wing panel. Foam is quicker, easier, more durable, and more repairable in my opinion. If you've never worked with a foam wing before, this would be a pretty simple airplane to get your feet wet. The wings are not sheeted with wood, they are just covered with film like a combat plane. I like to cover the wings with silkspan and thinned Titebond before covering them with film. This makes them smoother and stiffer. If you think the airplane will have a short life, then don't bother with the silkspan.

When properly trimmed, the airplane will hang very well. Slow times in excess of three minutes are possible. I have even broken four minutes a few times. No trick photography required!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
Brodak is suppose to release the kit for the FJ-4-15 before Christmas. It's a pretty durn good 15 Carrier airplane even if I do say so myself :)

Christmas this year, next year, or the year after?  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »
The key question is this:

Do I want to compete at The Brodak or not?  The 10 points for kit and/or plans bought from Brodak's menu is a key element.

If it's a Brodak entry you have the Clown, Circus Prince, and Junior Liughning Streak (my ride).

If it's non-Brodak (or you think you can overcome the 10 points), use anything you want.  This is a cheap, simple event, so it's good chance to try something original.  If it doesn't work you won't have lost much.

You could build a stripped-down maximum performance model like the Sniper or design your own "carrier-rat".

Or if there's a certain Navy carrier airplane you like this a good chance to draw up a profile model and build it.  I've seen some pretty good scale-like planes score well and beat the carrier-rats.  I'm currently working a scale plane to replace my Junior Lightning Streak.   If it works, it's good and if not I've still got the Streak.

Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Christmas this year, next year, or the year after?  D>K

All I can go by is what John is telling me.. I have jumped through every hoop he has asked, even shot the assembly photos, wrote the assembly manual, and have not asked for anything in return other than the bonus points.

Couple months ago he sent me a prototype with the manual for my look over and said he wanted to get it out before Christmas. Haven't talked to him since I sent back my corrections.. Have no idea but don't think it will make Christmas at this late date.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
All I can go by is what John is telling me.. I have jumped through every hoop he has asked, even shot the assembly photos, wrote the assembly manual, and have not asked for anything in return other than the bonus points.

Couple months ago he sent me a prototype with the manual for my look over and said he wanted to get it out before Christmas. Haven't talked to him since I sent back my corrections.. Have no idea but don't think it will make Christmas at this late date.

Sorry Bob, I just couldn't resist tossing that one out there when I saw it.

Honestly, I'm a big fan of John and everything he and his company has done for our hobby, but I do feel that they have a pattern of announcing "Coming Soon" way too early. I've lost track of how long I've been waiting for the Klepsic B-25. D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
Peace is at hand.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

I can't fix this in one term.
Paul Smith

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
Bill
I received the plans for the Sniper and the foam cores.  The plans are great, tons of details.  And the cores are some of the best I've bought,id you say they were from Phil?  Thanks for your help.
Duke

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
They are from Phil Cartier at the CoreHouse. I've been using and recommending his cores for over 20 years.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
They are from Phil Cartier at the CoreHouse. I've been using and recommending his cores for over 20 years.

My oldest son has a set of lil hackers and I wasn't overly impressed, but these are great.  Nice job Phil, I'm very impressed with the quality of the halflite cores.  I really like the spar slots being done and that trailing edge looks nice.  If I could get the hang of covering foam to make it look nice, I would build more foamies.  D>K

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
Bill
Any building advise for my first Sniper?  I also have one of you MO-1 cores and plans.  I did some horse trading with someone who wanted a set of the sniper cores you sent me.  I may have to build another carrier plane!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here