News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .15 Carrier engines  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Darrel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
.15 Carrier engines
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »
Thinking about a .15 carrier.  Are there any reasonably easy to obtain .15 engines that can get the 70 mph high speed?

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: .15 Carrier engines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:12 AM »
ASP 15 or Magnum 15. Both very competitive and being currently used. The ASP 15 is available on line just Google it and it's an ABC Motor. Maybe John Vilna or Bill Bischoff will chime in for some suggestions.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
Darrel
No longer made but good, cox 15 conquest, mvvs 15, Nelson 15,
New mag 15, os 15, not the la.
Have not seen the asp
Fox 15, I have seen some get there

If your interested in Nelson or mvvs I have some I am willing to sell

John

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
John, sent you a personal message.
Thanks

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »
I just happened to be looking around and found this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25464__AP_Hornet_0_15_Two_Stroke_Glow_Engine.html

I don't know anything about it but I really like the AP .061,so this is probably the quality. Don'twoory about dealing with Hong Kong, you can use paypal and except for slow delivery they are OK, I but most of my electrc stuff from them.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
I just happened to be looking around and found this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25464__AP_Hornet_0_15_Two_Stroke_Glow_Engine.html

I don't know anything about it but I really like the AP .061,so this is probably the quality. Don'twoory about dealing with Hong Kong, you can use paypal and except for slow delivery they are OK, I but most of my electrc stuff from them.
I have one of those, tried it in a Clown racer.  IMO the Magnum XLS15 a better choice.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Joe Just

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
I have one of those, tried it in a Clown racer.  IMO the Magnum XLS15 a better choice.
I have this engine as a Yellowjacket in a Carrier Flying Clown.  I am using muffler pressure and that reaaly restricts top end rpm, but the engine is so user fiendly I like it for non competitive flying.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
The carb looks like the same design as the .061, if so it needs muffler pressure to idle, and would not be suitable everywhere. It would be ok at Brodaks because we allow muffler pressure

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
Too bad we can't get the big guys to let us use muffler pressure on stock mufflers nation wide in AMA carrier competition.  Would have made a proposal before now, but almost get tarred and feathered every time I bring it up.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Joe Just

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Doc, your best idea to date.  I will sign on on that proposal.  Perhaps allowing it in "Sportsman" would be a good start.  Perhaps it is time for the whole membership of NCS to firmly get behind this proposal.  If i happen to one more time hear "Well, just try it out locally..." I will puke.  Our NW .40 Profile Carrier rule (stock mufflers mandatory) is working very well. And we are in our 3rd year with this ruling.  Perhaps a "Safety issue" proposal might just do it.  The largest AMA Carrier contest in the U.S. is the Brodak Fly-In. Muffler pressure there is working just fine there thanks to John Vlna!  Using muffler pressure makes it so easy albeit a bit restricting, but who cares?
Joe
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:05:56 AM by Joe Just »

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
We also allow muffler pressure at Brodaks in Sportsman
John

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
How can you justify muffler pressure as an urgent safety issue? Carrier planes have been safely flying without muffler pressure for years. Someone should step up to the plate and propose the change through the normal rule change process. I'm quite sure there will be no tarring and feathering. Of course Sportsman and 15 aren't even AMA rules, so all you'd probably have to do is ask the NCS to vote on it. This year in Dallas we will allow muffler pressure in Sportsman, but only in conjunction with stock carbs and mufflers.

Sorry, I seem to have strayed from the subject of 15 carrier engines. I like the Conquest 15, but If I had to buy something new today, I'd probably buy the Magnum.

Offline Mark Hansen

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »
I have been fooling around with the Enya 15s.  The old version, like the III and IV are very cheep on ebay, but will not hit the speed limit.  The new SS 15 will hit the speed limit, but the one I purchased was a total kit motor.  The Piston liner fit was so tight, I could not turn the engine over with an electric start, even when I heated the heat with a torch!  So I fitted the piston correctly bit the engine still felt tight at botton dead center--the rod was dragging on the case!  So once I ground the flash off the rod, and got that taken care of, it was a very fine performer on a 7x5 prop, turning in 17,300 RPM static on 10% nitro fuel and 25% oil.  Next I rotated the front cover 90% counter clock wise (looking form the front) and now it runs exactly the same backwards. One thing I did have to do, was don the muffler to get the air bleed carb to work correctly, but with the Muffler (yes on muffler pressure) it idles very nicely.

As for the other engines mentioned, I would go with an engine that can be made to run backwards.

Rules changes should be submitted through the regular channels.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
Too bad we can't get the big guys to let us use muffler pressure on stock mufflers nation wide in AMA carrier competition.  Would have made a proposal before now, but almost get tarred and feathered every time I bring it up.
I agree, I was really shocked that the 2.4 GHz proposal passed. 
If you use 10% fuel just about any exhaust can be used, I think.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
True, but no pressure of any kind allowed in profile. You might go too fast or idle better.  ~^
mike potter

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
I've been trading messages with a gentleman from the Netherlands, Max Uttien that fly's carrier in Europe. He is acquainted with Allberto that handles the Para engines. Alberto has a new .15 that is aimed at the racer/speed group and Max has ask him the chances of a Para .15 with a reverse crank and a carburetor. The question raised immediately was what is the market in the US? So naturally the next question would be how much will it cost? Well both questions are unanswered at this time but I'm thinking that the price would be over $200US but hopefully under $300US for the engine equipped for the carrier event. It would certainly be a higher performance engine than the MVVS and I would hope somewhere on the level of the Nelson (approaching) and should assure the over 70mph HS with plenty of out thrust to deliver a good LS. So what do the people think that are flying .15 carrier??  Eric
Eric

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
A .15 cubic inch engine with reverse rotation that can turn 31,000 and hold a reliable idle would certainly be with $1,200 to me.  Anything to win!
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »
I'd have a real hard time paying $200 for a .15 carrier engine.  :-\

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Maybe here is the long wished for .15 in a pair for my Tigercat!  Just think, for about $600 I didn't need to orry about getting off the deck! WOW!
Joe

Online Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »
Sad Truth: The price threshold for almost all high performance "competition" engines these days is about $200.00 and up, even 1/2A. Whether it's free-flight, c/l racing, c/l speed, c/l combat; more if you want a throttle, shutoff, or exhaust system. 8)
For price point value. I would pobably opt for the Magnum or ASP (the blue head one), for all out performance: pick up a good used  Nelson FIRE or FISE  and adapt a carb to it. H^^
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
The Fora 2.5 cc F2D engine sold for $240 in 2008, and that did not include shipping from the Ukraine, which was more than just a little.  If you want to fly FAI Combat you need a minimum of four engines at a cost of over $1,000.  And that was for a mass-produced product of which hundreds, maybe over a thousand were sold.

A 15 Profile Carrier engine as described would probably sell less than a half-dozen units.  I would not be the least bit surprised if somebody who developed such a unit would ask $1,200 for it.  A person who bought such a unit would have a much higher chance of victory than somebody who bought five F2D engines and tried to win at combat.

I doubt that the mythical engine will be created, but it happens, I expect that one or two guys would buy them.
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
Eric,
I'm not interested in any expensive engines. The only 15 contests I go to allow electric combined with glow, so guess what I am flying. Hint it is not oily.
John

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

I'd have a hard time paying $200 for THREE .15 carrier engines.    y1
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
Why do you need 3 .15 carrier engines?  ;D

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
Why do you need 3 .15 carrier engines?  ;D

One for the club penguin .15 trainer, one for the newbee I'm trying to get to take up the event, one for the buddy who needs another event and who I already gave a plane to, a couple for my grandsons, a couple for me to dink around with.  If I ever get REALLY serious about .15, I'll put together an electric .. can't let Eric have all the fun.     >:D
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
What about the OPS .15's????  They could be had for less than $175.00.  In rear and side exhaust....and I could probably get then with a nice Carb too.
Bill Hughes
B&L Hobby Supplies, Inc.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
I think Dave Rolley had an OPS a long time ago -- whoever's it was, it was plenty fast enough.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
For an event that started out as something for the novice to get into, it sure has went out of bounds.   Need to get my .15 cleaned up and start having some fun again.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
Very true.  The original sell job was based on utilizing the abundance of unemployed F2D engines put out to pasture by the new generation of muffled Russian engines.

I did exactly that.  I pulled out an old combat engine and epoxied on a carb from an LA15 which was used on a Clown racer.  Zero out of pocket cost.

Pardon my sarcasm at the idea of having a Cylon, Zorro, or Fora converted to back-handed rotation, but that would be way over the top and typical of what kills events.
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
I think you may need to recheck your history. I just reread Gerry Deneau's 15 Dauntless article from 1984. It says he and Dave Rolley conceived the event in 1982 as a simpler alternative to regular AMA profile. No mention of F2D combat anywhere in the article. Also, 1982 was the year Tom Fluker won the world champ's with a Fox 15. The Nelson had yet to dominate, and Russian engines and mufflers were years away.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »
I think you may be right about killing the event Paul. I'm trying to figure if the event was ever a competitive event or just an event. I know I go to contests and one of the events is almost always .15 carrier so I enter the contest to compete (competition). If it was just an event at a contest I would still enter but would probably be inclined to go with a plane that was very dependale and pretty much idiot proof which would make the whole experience more enjoyable. To me there is a big difference between an event and a competitive (competition) event.

When I first started flying competition carrier events I got to fly a lot but not place as well as I wanted (there wasn't a .15 class then). So after I thought I had mastered flying the event pretty much and I was still not placing where I wanted to I started looking around to see what I could do about it. Well there was one plane (MO-1) being used by the leaders of the pack but I was already flying one of them so I started looking at the engines that were being used. I found that the top carrier guys were using much modified K&B engines with high nito fuels. I could buy the K&B engines but not the modified ones and I am not an engine builder so I kept looking and finally decided on a Nelson combat engine because my friends were using them in combat and they were superior to all the other engines at that time. I called Henry and he talked me out of the combat engine and into the heavy case pylon engine with a reverse crank shaft. I purchased one from him ($245 at the time) and have used that engine 18 years (yes "that engine"). Henry had these engines available to anyone that wanted one from 1995 on up until he stopped producing engines a couple of years ago. The point being that there is no one out there flying carrier for the last 18 years that hasn't spent a lot more than $245 on engines over the same period of time.

So I think I have rambled on long enough and yes I'm old and would enjoy flying in events.  Eric
Eric

Offline Mark Hansen

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:49 AM »
300 dollar engine...I think if you adjusted for inflation, from today to say 1958 that would be the price of a Dooling 29!  In real terns the cost of engines has come down.  What has changed is that wages have not kept pace with inflation since R.R. was in the White House.  So, we don't want to spend the money to get a 300 dollars engine, now, but as Eric states, using it for 18 years it would pay for it's self. 

Oh, the best combat engine of the 1990's was the Fox Mk-VII! Mine ran circles around the Nelsons; even the custom Nelsons like the ones Mike Wilcox was using.  Nothing could come close, and all that for 150 dollars each.  Oh, then the chrome came off the liners, and they were done.  So, I to when to Nelsons and after some long talks to my friend Gary Harris and to Glenn Dye, I got them to run like my Fox's.  But they did not come out of the box ready to run, and they cost 265 each.  The chrome did stay on the liners, and the cranks held up, but the bearing in back was only good for about 75 runs, and it was not a cheap bearing.  So, in the end, it was something of a toss up on the great combat engines debate.

So for 15 carrier I think 200 is a fair price.  300 is probably more than I would spend, but not out of the question.  It has to be a good runner out of the box though.  I don't want to have to re-fit every part like my Tower 40 or my Enya SS-15.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here