News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:00:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a carrier  (Read 1433 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2a carrier
« on: January 11, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
We, Black Hawk Models, are looking for a fun 1/2a carrier model that will be able to land on a special 1/2a carrier deck. Our current idea is a biplane with flaps. We are open for suggestions and ideas on the model and the arresting hook arrangement. We are not interrested in being told to make a larger model for competion. We have a larger model 90% ready for that role.
Larry

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Re: 1/2a carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »
Larry, How about a little more info about this carrier kit that is 90% ready. #^    Mike
mike potter

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:30:34 PM »
OK, Mike!
         It will not be released for awhile as it still needs a little work. I never flew carrier, I flew scale and slo combat so work on this kit is slow. We have the parts already laser cut but at the last minute the designer called to tell me that there was trouble with the airfoil. All we could do was to make a quick change to a flat bottomed airfoil. In assembling the kit we found that the wing did not line up properly and will need some alterations. So 50 kits are waiting those alterations  SH^ . In order to save money we had extra parts cut to make two kits from the one. They are a Douglas Dauntless and a Japanese Val. The planes are full fuselage build up wing and fuselage, 1 inch to the foot. This way they can doubble as scale models too.
         What else can I tell you? I was almost replaced over this error....Ooops!
Larry

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
Larry,

You may want to talk to Tony Naccarato.  His club used to try things like 1/2A Carrier and indoor 1/2A electric models.  If anyone would have the information you are looking for is should be Tony.

Dave

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
Thanks, I will give Tony a call.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:08 AM »
This sounds like a cool idea!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:38:47 AM »
Over the years this has been tried several time without much success. There are few 1/2A engines with throttles and the system to control them has to be a homebuilt set up. The Brodak/Roberts system is too heavy. The best one I saw used one of the old light weight J-Roberts bellcranks which are pretty hard to find these days. The advantage was it was readymade and worked. The other guys tried to use the double bellcrank set up and were always struggling. It can be done and is fun. Good luck!  Mike
mike potter

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:49:53 AM »
Mike,
         Thank you for not giving me negitive remarks about the larger models that I am reworking. We have made a couple of simple test runs with our "Zero" Sarpolus kit and that looked real good. The large wing area and the more powerful throttled engines it is almost a no-brainer.
Larry

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
We, Black Hawk Models, are looking for a fun 1/2a carrier model that will be able to land on a special 1/2a carrier deck. Our current idea is a biplane with flaps. We are open for suggestions and ideas on the model and the arresting hook arrangement. We are not interrested in being told to make a larger model for competion. We have a larger model 90% ready for that role.
Larry

I vote for Grumman F3F.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »
With 1/2A engines, it's tough enough to get a decent run, even at full speed.

Do you have an engine in mind that will actually hold an idle?   Perhaps one of the new ChiCom units might work.  I don't know any "old school" Cox engines that would do.  Jus 'cause they sell engines with a throttle doesn't prove that anybody can get results.
Paul Smith

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 10:23:39 AM »
In the early 90s I started flying carrier in WAM contests and they had a 1/2A event. I remimber Jim Schneider being quite successful with a Douglas Skyray(I think it was a Skyray as it had a delta wing with a tail and stab./elevator?). The event was flown with Cox engines and they used a 2 wire handle and a 3rd wire connected to the aft end of the fuselage. They used the regular size carrier deck and when the plane was ready to land they pulled on the 3rd wire which pointed the nose out of the circle and slowed the plane down to any speed that they chose. There always seemed to be a half dozen of these planes at each contest and they were all different profile scale carrier planes. I never entered a plane but it was fun to watch and the fliers had a ball. eric

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »
On earlier test planes we used a Norvel (no longer available) engine but we do not feel that throttle is the most important item if you are not in competion. If you are going out to a local ball field and making a carrier deck in the dirt, you do not need to worry about the differance between fast and slow only that you can slow the plane enough to make an arrested landing. FUN CARRIER. The F3F is my first choise for the model. Of course we have not made the trial runs yet.
Larry  %^@

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here