News:

• May 16, 2024, 09:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your ideas on my next steps  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Your ideas on my next steps
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
OK, guys, I have a "Hunt Mustang" that I converted to a "B" model.  The cowl, and the nose back to the wing LE, is covered w/.5 oz. glass and resin.  I plan to now cover everything with silkspan.  The wings are open bay with SLC applied and then silkspan over that for puncture resistance.

What steps would you take next for applying a dope finish?  I would like to hear other people's techniques on finishing.  Which materials- fillers, primers, blocking coats, clear coats, how many of each, etc.

Thanks, a lot!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Mike Griffin

Re: Your ideas on my next steps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
Bill I have my own way of doing it but there are others on here that are FAR more qualified than me to give you techniques and procedures...If nobody chimes in .. I will list mine....

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Bill I have my own way of doing it but there are others on here that are FAR more qualified than me to give you techniques and procedures...If nobody chimes in .. I will list mine....

Mike

Hi Mike,

List your techniques, that is what this post is for.  Seeing all the different ways people do the finishing process.  I have no interest in iron on films for this one as a finish.

Thanks!
BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
If you apply butyrate over the fiberglass, make sure you sand the heck out of the glass before doping.

I really like Brodak White Primer.  You sand most of it off, so it isn't heavy, but it fills in the blemishes.

Brodak Polar Grey paint is a neutral undercoat for any color.

I haven't found a need to use plastic film under silkspan.  I use SGM (heavy) and it is nearly bulletproof!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »

Sounds like a cool model, where's the pics Bill? ???
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
Sounds like a cool model, where's the pics Bill? ???

Hi Wayne,

Haven't taken any pics in a while.  Since you asked, I'll ry yo get some taken and posted here.

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
Yes, I think your next step should definitely be to produce some eye candy for the rest of us.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
I have a suspicion that this Mustang will be the trans-polar speed record replica (i.e., red?). I know you're supposed to put red, yellow, and (I assume) orange over a white basecoat. Is light grey close enough? I doubt it, but haven't tried it.

Did you put the fiberglass on with epoxy? I would be inclined to use an epoxy primer on that part, but mostly, I'd ask Mark! When I built speed models, I used "last years color" of epoxy with talc added as a primer. You could use the Z-Poxy Finishing Resin with a bit of talc added on just the nose, and clear dope/zinc stearate on the rest? You do have to rough up the FG good, but if you cut through the strands on the surface, you just have short bits of glass that don't do a lot except give a hard surface, which isn't all bad.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
Hi Steve,

That IS the model I am duplicating, except it will be as Paul Mantz's racer #46 (earlier version).  It IS red.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
Bill,
Look at this web site for some cool P51 paint schemes:    http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/p51pastpaint/home.php

As far as paint go, since you have fiberglass you may want to apply the covering with nitrate as it seems to adhere better. I would do two thinned (60/40) coats of thinner/nitrate on the silkspan. Let that dry a week ish, then switch to Butyrate clear SIG Super Coat (this is a taunting dope). Give it four - five coats of 50/50 clear super coat to fill the weave. Let it dry a day between coats and at least three days after the last coat of clear. Candle the surface looking for dry spots or rough spots and repair. On the solid surfaces you can apply the dope/zinc stearate filler. Once dry sand most of this off to get a smooth surface. Once all is smooth, if you are going to use a light color top coat,  spray on a coat of cream color butyrate. This is the first fill/base coat, let it dry at least a day, carefully sand off most of it to get the surface smooth. Spray on a second coat of cream, lightly sand and candle. Fix any dry spots, fuzz or low spots.

If all is smooth, tack rage down the surface and spray on a coat of clear Sig Lite Coat, let dry a day or so. Lightly sand and start appling the color finish. Once finished, let dry about a week and check that the edges of the trim tape lines are smooth (you can use old credit cards to shave the edges down smooth). Start the clear top coats, I use 40/60 Sig lite coat to thinner. I start around the frame and cap strips putting on three coats, then start doing the whole ship. Do one coat a day, I use five coats if using just clear dope.

If you are going to use "Death Paint" top coat you can do the frame with two coats and then two coats over the whole ship, let it dry a week, then spray on one lite coat of DP let it cure out then I do a second coat on the fuse and top surfaces. Let it cure out a week and its ready to polish or fly.

Good luck with the finish, let us know how it comes out.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »
Thanks, Dennis, for a clear and concise explanation of your finishing process!  Never heard of the "cream" as a filler/blocking coat.  Sounds like a great idea!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
Bill,
The idea of the "cream" color dope as a block and filler was something that a good friend, Wayne Triven who passed away a several years ago, showed me on ships for ships with light colored top coats (yellow, white, light brown). For the dark colors you can go with the polar gray or silver (ala Windy method).

If you are going for the front row the silver is the best way to find flaws in the surface. The first time you use silver it can really make you question your building skills, how could I have miss so much. The down side to using the silver under light colors is it takes lots of coats to cover and for yellow you will get a greenish tint until about 10 coats, very heavy.

Best,            DennisT

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I do know about the silver, and what effects it has on the top coats of color having used it a time or two. 

I have recently been using Billy Werwage's idea of white with a few drops of black added to make it just slightly gray.  Makes a very good blocking coat for almost any color and doesn't have to be "perfect" in coverage.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
As I think I have proved rather conclusively, I have no ideas.

Good luck.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »

Good luck.
or to many ideas?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Good luck.

Yeah, Yeah, and Joe Namath couldn't pass a football...........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »
Brothers Randy and Mark,

I am actually (shudder) considering using the same product line all the way through on this model.  I am going to order the actual Randolph red that was used on the real plane and will use Randolph clears and thinners.......  They have non tautening clear butyrate.

Fortunately the only colors needed are red and white (a little bit of trim, and I have some Randolph white already). 

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
Don't use polar gray under white, red or yellow. Bad things will happen.
Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
A bit of very light gray is OK under white, but it tends to darken it. Like anything else, you tend to get different effects depending on undercoat. More if the top coat is semi-transparent or transparent (like red and yellow). I routinely put a few drops of black in any white base coat because it give better coverage with substantially darkening the color.

I will try to work on more well executed ideas for you, Mark.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
I see a lot of planes from folks who I believe to be good finishers that are in a state where they're all nicely sanded, with mottled light- to dark-gray primer.

What then?

White then color?  Or do you do something to block the mottling, and then white?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
Brothers Randy and Mark,

I am actually (shudder) considering using the same product line all the way through on this model.  I am going to order the actual Randolph red that was used on the real plane and will use Randolph clears and thinners.......  They have non tautening clear butyrate.

Fortunately the only colors needed are red and white (a little bit of trim, and I have some Randolph white already). 

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

and what thinner are you going to use Bill???
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
You need to look into the "Ragu" primer that Derek uses for his planes.  It would seem to be good stuff.
Steve

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Well, Mark S. won "Pilots' Choice Concours" at the 2012 VSC, so I suppose he knows what he's talking about.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
well Mike, even a blind hog finds a grub occasionaly  LL~

thanks for noticing,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
Tim,

Yea, my ill-fated plane last year had that problem. I hadn't realized how transparent the base color was. I thought it would cover and really didn't. In the sun it looked fine, but from certain angles, you could see the mottled look of a filler coat sand job. Won't make that mistake again. I will always use a blocking coat regardless of how well I think the base color is covering.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »
Yea, my ill-fated plane last year had that problem. I hadn't realized how transparent the base color was. I thought it would cover and really didn't. In the sun it looked fine, but from certain angles, you could see the mottled look of a filler coat sand job. Won't make that mistake again. I will always use a blocking coat regardless of how well I think the base color is covering.

Actually my question was the long-form of what do people use for a blocking coat in such circumstances, and if it's something like a layer of silver, what do they use over that for transparent colors?
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
and what thinner are you going to use Bill???

Well, Brother Mark, like I said in my post I will use Randolph dope AND THINNERS.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I will order it all from Aircraft Spruce.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
Tim,

It depends on what you want the color to look like. For something like Red. if you want it vibrant and bright, use white underneath. If you use gold or gold flake, you will get a candy look. Silver will get you a rose tone (sort of pinkish). Other things give other effects. I shot Cadillac gold under yellow once and got a sort of redish mustard color (not really what I was looking for, unfortunately).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
I see a lot of planes from folks who I believe to be good finishers that are in a state where they're all nicely sanded, with mottled light- to dark-gray primer.

What then?

White then color?  Or do you do something to block the mottling, and then white?

Gray, then white in my case.  Then color, if you don't want a white plane.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Bill:

Please pay a lot of attention to the comments from the guys about painting red over a white base coat. That is what I did with my current project, a scale Rearwin Speedster, and I am very disappointed. I keep adding more coats with varying degrees of cover. The firsts applications were a wild shade of pink. I guess I will just have to keep adding until I have enough pigment applied to cover the undercoat. I am under my anticipated weight, so I guess I will be OK. With your use of a paint as legitimate as Randolph, you will probably have more success. You indicate a red color with white trim. I envision the application of the white and then masking off the trim before you apply the red. I don't think I would recommend trying to trim white over the top of the red.

Jim Fruit

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Have you guys ever tried the model railroad paints called Flo-Quil?   Covers a lot of stuff with a  very light coat.   Only draw back is you have to be careful til you put a clear coat over it.   Comes in small bottles and when I used it, could do several F2C planes with one bottle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
Bill
 Finish the I/Beam
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »
Bill
 Finish the I/Beam
Ed

Hi Ed,

That will be the next "big" project that I will finish.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
I have used Brodak primer just after the build up clear coats.  Usually thinned to spray with one drop of black in the pot.  This is then sanded and candled until either it is translucent or where I can tell it needs another coat.  This process continues until the surface is perfect. At this point the entire model looks like it has a translucent white finish.  Next a medium weight white dope coat.  The yellow plane and the white plane were the same process to this point. 

A well designed scheme will have enough to look at that slight mottling will not be noticed. Plan your ink lines and such to hide seams, glue joints like tip to main wing on a foam wing. This joint always shrinks and becomes visible so plan to hide it with an ink line.  You don't need a million colours or super bizarre designs to hide the slight mottling.  Just resist the urge for one more coat.  Heavy hangar queens are just as useless as super light and crappy finish.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here