News:

• May 20, 2024, 09:55:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Workbench/Building Center  (Read 900 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Workbench/Building Center
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
I am in the process of setting up another workbench dedicated to the construction of airplanes.  I came across this bench that is oak and very rugged.  Plus, it is big enough and the $159.99 price is very reasonable.  I would remove the dowels and put a sheet of heavy glass on the top.  What do the experts think?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93454
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Workbench/Building Center
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
That is a nice lookin set up. Unless you don't have the time or equipment you could build a table for a lot less than that. Menards or Home Depot should have books with bench designs. I like doing most of my own stuff like that but your mileage may very.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:13:18 AM »
Dick, I think you will find 20" a bit narrow unless you only have the space for that width. Also, I'm 5' 8 1/2" tall and I find standing at a bench 900 mm high ~35.5"—we're metric for stuff like this in Oz—only just high enough. My main work surface is an old office desk 6' x 3' and I sit at that on a normal chair.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »
Dick: I have one of those in my garage and build on it. For the $$ it is a good value. Now for the bad news. The top, while large enough is not true enough to build a wing on. However, it is a good base for my trued building board. On mine, the attached wood clamp will not close, the holes are mis drilled. It has resisted my efforts to repair.

The good news here is that it closes enough to hold a smaller metal jaw-clam securely that is more approprite for model building anyway. The drawers are nice, but a bit shallow. The shelf below the work area is very handy.  So, on a scale of 10, about a 7. Would I buy it a again?, for the price and convenience of getting a quick work area going, sure, it'll do the job but is not perfect.  8)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:19:59 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
Dick: I have one of those in my garage and build on it. For the $$ it is a good value. Now for the bad news. The top, while large enough is not true enough to build a wing on. However, it is a good base for my trued building board. On mine, the clam will not close, the holes are mis drilled. It has resisted my efforts to repair.

The good news here is that it closes enough to hold a smaller metal jaw-clam securely that is more approprite for model building anyway. The drawers are nice, but a bit shallow. So, on a scale of 10, about a 7. Would I buy it a again?, for the price and convenience of getting a quick work area going, sure, it'll work but but not perfect.  8)

I am not surprised about the top.  I figured I would have it planed at a local cabinet shop, anyway.  What do you use for a building board?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
Hey Dick, welcome back to the hobby, sport, obcession...whatever.  ;D  My usual building board is a 48" balsa building board I bought from "Gullow's" back in the day. Great Planes makes them now and they are about $30.00 through Tower.  Mine is attached to a trued piece of shelfing  material. I make no recommendations regarding the set-up except that it works for me and is easy to stick pins into.

I have also used an Adjusto Jig, now, long out of production. Next wing I make will be made using the "Control Line Specialties" wing jig system. I have high hopes for that. I know Walter Umland uses this system on his projects and that in itself is a pretty good recommendation.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here