• May 05, 2024, 01:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wings  (Read 835 times)

Offline roger gebhart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
wings
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
My flying skills are not the best but I do Like to build. I have been looking at a set of plans for a spifire.(hobby helper) and it has a long and short wing. Have I read that now that is not a favored technique and should I bother to change it if I go further. Not worried about  anything but a good flying and appearing airplane. I think I saw that talked about on here somewhere but I can't find it now.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: wings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:29:37 PM »
From what I've been reading here, apparently 1/2" or 3/4" shorter outboard is plenty enough difference.  I know some of the old-time designs used 2 or 3" difference, maybe more on some.  I never did like the look of such an unbalanced wing. 

I personally use equal-length wings, and more tip weight as needed.  Keeps me out of the controversy.

If any of the gurus here contradict my advice, my advice is to follow their advice, as any of them knows reams more than me. 

--Ray

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: wings
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:11:53 PM »
If built by the plans, it will be a good flying plane.  There are two "camps" as to wing offset.  Some or none!  **)

I have built both, so has about everyone else.  I do believe the plans I have for Mr. Paul Walkers Impact has some asymmetry.  I believe that plane has won multiple NATS in different iterations.  Just about all of the older planes had 1 1/2" to 2" offset.  Nothing wrong with the way they fly.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here