News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing tips  (Read 1411 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Wing tips
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »
The wing tip for this build are done just as plans state. First make a tip plate and then add a block top and bottom. Next tack it to the wing and sand to rough shape. After you are satisfied with the shape cut it loose form the wing. Separate all the pieces and using the finger method make a line around the parameter. Carve out the excess balsa.

How important is the step you ask? Well it started out 19 grams of dead weight and after hollowing it ended up 7 grams. 12 gram savings X 2 tips is almost a ounce.

After gluing the tips together finish sanding the inside smooth. The light airplanes are sanded just as good on the inside as the outside!

FIT-FIT-FIT!! Finish start with the first piece of wood cut!!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:42:28 AM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
Wing tips finished
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »
Here is what they are suppose to look like sanded in.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 01:48:42 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing tips
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:27:27 PM »
That seems like an odd place for the tip weaight box.  I say that because it will be ahead of the CG.  Seems like it could cause trim issues.  Bob Gieseke always taugh me to put the tip weight as far out the wing as possible.  He puts his in the wing tip, and in line with where the projected CG will end up.  I put mine at the tip of the wing prior to tips inline with the CG.

By the way.  That is really nice work on those tips.  I used to do it that way as well.  Have you tried the Tom Morris method?  Really cool way of building tips.  Goes very fast.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:59:32 PM »
That seems like an odd place for the tip weaight box.  I say that because it will be ahead of the CG.  Seems like it could cause trim issues.  Bob Gieseke always taugh me to put the tip weight as far out the wing as possible.  He puts his in the wing tip, and in line with where the projected CG will end up.  I put mine at the tip of the wing prior to tips inline with the CG.

By the way.  That is really nice work on those tips.  I used to do it that way as well.  Have you tried the Tom Morris method?  Really cool way of building tips.  Goes very fast.

The weight box is right on the hypothetical CG
AMA 12366

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:38:01 AM »
OK.  I thought it looked forward that is all.  My mistake.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here