News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing Tips Design  (Read 2833 times)

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Wing Tips Design
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
What to do about 'em when building? I see some stunt models are equipped with very simple wing tips consisting of nothing more than just a rib running parallel to the fuselage. Others are tapered down in various fashions and look much better. (I'm not sure of the term, but is this called "wash-out"?) Is there a significant performance difference between the two designs in control line?

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing Tips Design
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
No, that is not what "wash out" means!  Wash-out means that the wings are twisted so that the tips are pointed slightly downward compared to the roots.  It's done one aircraft that need to perform much better flying upright than upside down, and it is either done to avoid tip stalls, or to make a "hershey bar" wing oh so slightly more efficient.

Wash-out is undesirable on a stunt plane.

Tip shape doesn't have a huge impact on flight performance.  There's some subtleties with how tip shape makes the plane handle in the wind which, frankly, I can't keep track of.  Look at the shapes of tips on airplanes flown in the top 20 at the Nats, pick one you like, and run with it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
Like Tim said, "wash out" or "washin" are free flight terms for trimming a model to turn in a thermal without stalling or spinning. NOT used in CLPA. Ever.  n1

From what I have seen since 1948 and my first model, wing tips are like women, you like what you like.  D>K

Washin and washout are full-scale aviation terms, too -- same twist, different reasons (one doesn't often trim a full scale plane for a smokin' hot climb followed by a slow glide, all without pilot input).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
No, that is not what "wash out" means!  Wash-out means that the wings are twisted so that the tips are pointed slightly downward compared to the roots. 

Wash-out is undesirable on a stunt plane.

Actually, "wash out" is when the trailing edge of the wing is twisted upward at the tip.  Often employed on free flight models to delay tip stall.  "Wash in" is when the trailing edge at the wing tip is twisted to a higher angle of incidence, promotes tip stalling and generally should be avoided with any kind of airplane, model or full size though wash in might be employed on a free flight model for certain issues with flight trim.

An interesting example of "wash out" is to examine the wing tip of the F-15.  The wing tip airfoil is highly undercambered and normally is operating at a noticeable negative angle of attack (wash out).  That wing tip does not start lifting until the aircraft is pulling several positive G's, as in a hard turn.  It will not help much when pulling any negative G's, which most fighter planes do not try to do.

Like Tim suggested,  CL stunt planes should avoid any kind of twist - period.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:49:33 AM by Trostle »

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
Tim, Ty and Keith:

I like what's written here! So I can forget about another aviation term, and choose a tip design that fancies my eye. Many thanks for such timely responses.

Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
Actually, "wash out" is when the wing is twisted upward at the tip.

Oh dangit, it's that free flighter vs. the rest of the world terminology difference.  When you're building a free-flight wing you shim the trailing edge up to get wash-out.  But that means that the angle of attack of the tip is down (which is what you find in the full-scale aeronautical texts).

I'm not going to say I'm backwards, here, but if open my mouth at a free-flight field I'll try to get it right...
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Tim, Ty and Keith:

I like what's written here! So I can forget about another aviation term, and choose a tip design that fancies my eye. Many thanks for such timely responses.

Mo...

Yes.
AMA 64232

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
Oh dangit, it's that free flighter vs. the rest of the world terminology difference.  When you're building a free-flight wing you shim the trailing edge up to get wash-out.  But that means that the angle of attack of the tip is down (which is what you find in the full-scale aeronautical texts).

I'm not going to say I'm backwards, here, but if open my mouth at a free-flight field I'll try to get it right...

The terms "wash out" and "wash in" apply the same in full size aviation as well as model airplanes, including free flight model airplanes.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 08:12:46 PM »
Wingtips?  LL~

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
For a while, there was a certain segment of the stunt "guru club" advocating tips which had taper, front to rear, similar to the Flite Streak.  No good scientific explanation was given, except that it was "better".

I design wingtips to complement the overall design lines.  Some round.  Some elliptical, some just squared.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
For a while, there was a certain segment of the stunt "guru club" advocating tips which had taper, front to rear, similar to the Flite Streak.  No good scientific explanation was given, except that it was "better".

Which parts of Ted's "Imitation" article are you disputing?

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »
"Actually, "wash out" is when the wing is twisted upward at the tip."

To make this as easy as possible to understand,

Washout:

The root airfoil is at a greater angle of attack than the tip airfoil.

So, the root could be designed to be at a positive "2" degrees and the tip could have a positive "1" degree or "0".

Best explanation I can do as a washed up former commercial pilot.  n~
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:35:17 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »
Make your wing tips like the SV 11 or Pathfinder. Randy Smith says it's better.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:13 PM »
Make your wing tips like the SV 11 or Pathfinder. Randy Smith says it's better.
Everything I have designed since 1965 has had swept tips.  I have no idea if they are actually better, I just think they are and they look cool.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
I think "looks cool" is the operative phrase.  Just as some like the "jet look", where the canopy is 1/2" behind the propellor.  On a real plane, I wouldn't want to be that close to the prop.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »

I design wingtips to complement the overall design lines.  Some round.  Some elliptical, some just squared.

I'm with you Floyd. At our Renolds numbers it doesn't matter...... We need the DRAG in the vertlcal portion of out maneuvers anyway.

Jerry

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
Swept back wingtips, like "Flite Streak", were widely discussed on this forum. 

I do not attribute this idea to any particular person. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here