News:

• June 05, 2024, 08:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing Tips  (Read 1381 times)

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Wing Tips
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
Gentlemen,

What is your method of building Wing Tips?

I build solid Wing Tips because the tips receive the most of Hanger Rash.  The solid tips reduce the damage due to Hanger Rash.  If the Wing Tips have open span areas and is covered with silkspan or monocote, they just get puncured. 

Building Wing Tips from solid blocks of wood is expensive and a major waste of wood.

I manage to sand thru the wood when building the tips from built up layers of 1/4 inch balsa.

Searching.

t michael jennings         ::)
knoxville, tn

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
You might try something new,  make them out of foam blocks covered with glass cloth.  Put wood inserts in where the leadouts would be exiting.  Should be easy to sand, but, go slow.  Just a thought,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
Recently I have been carving them from solid blocks. I think they look better and use up the not so light wood I have, after all your carving and sanding away most of the weight anyway. Also you can make nice tip weight boxes.
Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
I make mine flat.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't make a tip like, say, a Banshee or Excalibur (riblets) and then cover them with sheet balsa instead of silkspan. Of course, you'd cover them with silkspan, silk, or CF mat anyway. I think CF with Polycrylic would be a nice hard finish for tips and those places here & there that get hanger rash.

Regarding Crist's flat tips (like a Twister)...I think you might be able to notice the difference in wake turbulence (calm), also in windy conditions, and in glide speed. I want a clean model to penetrate the wind with the engine off, without having the CG on the LE. I also give fewer appearance points to models without proper wingtips...and typically, that's 2 points deducted. I wouldn't do it, even if it's 'scale', like an SU-26 or Extra 300. Gardner's "Fazer's" tip vortex, as shown by 1/2a combat streamers on each tip, made a big impression on us. WOW!  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
It really kinda depends. I've used ribbed tips, solids (though they are heavier), flat, horizontal plates with silkspan like the USA-1 and all kinds of variations. Just sort of depends on the wing shape and the need. I don't notice that the tips are damaged any more than anything else.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
<snip>
I also give fewer appearance points to models without proper wingtips...and typically, that's 2 points deducted.<snip>

WHY?  I thought that appearance points are on the quality of workmanship, etc, not design.  I gather it's your interpretation of what is a "proper wing tip" that determines a 2 point deduction?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
I like what you have done with those blocks of wood, especially the weight box.

Now 2 point deduction for flat tips.  Makes me think of when my profiles would be put at end of line during appearance judging, also planes covered with Monokote receiving fewer points.  I have actually had planes with silk and dope that were not that good receive more points then my Mono jobs.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »
"10. Appearance. Models shall be judged for appearance complete and ready to fly. After model has been judged, nothing will be removed from or added to the model which, in the judges’ opinion, changes in any manner the appearance of the model from the way it was when presented for appearance judging. However, during an attempt for official flight after the contestant has begun to crank the engine, if it becomes necessary to remove the propeller spinner for change of propeller, etc., then it is permissible to leave off the spinner for that particular flight. Any damage to the model after judging, or changes that may be made as a result of such damage, will not be cause for loss of appearance points. Appearance judging will take place just before contestant’s first flight. Judges shall exercise prudence in assigning points, and reserve excellent point values for those models which are decidedly above average. Appearance (Minimum-0 Maximum-20)"

The above is copied and pasted from the AMA website a few minutes ago. I don't see anything that says "design" or "style" or other stuff that's not to be judged. It's the APPEARANCE. Design, style, paint, graphics, shine, scars, patches, roughness, grain showing, seams in film, and all that stuff goes into appearance. If you're talking about Classics, then design and style can't be counted, because you're not supposed to change stuff (tho you can, and still fly). But don't you think that one design will just get higher AP's because it's a better looking design, with the finish, graphics and shine being equal to another (butt ugly) design? And of course, opinions vary...we're human. There are some designs that are ugly to me, but others seem to like. There are also colors I don't like, and I prefer a Classic model that has a Classic style of graphics. Reasonable? Wing tips are similar, in that some may like or dislike different styles. Oh well!

OBTW...if you submit your model for appearance judging with a fancy painted 3 blade prop and decide to change it to an APC before your flight...you should be busted, because it's not legal unless you can show that you broke it in a practise flight, etc. Changing airplanes also happens to be against the rules, unless you can show that your model submitted for AP judging, is broken and can't be repaired in time. Of course, if you are using an ARF, you can change props, or entire airplanes, because there are no AP's involved.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
This is tougher than I thought it would be - when it comes down to judging style, proportion, or some other aesthetics.

I think that when we admit that there is subjectivity in judging appearance, we are not advocating subjectivity. Judging and standards for judging should be as objective as possible. So I can't really agree here to judging on preferences of style. Workmanship and finish are another matter. Still, if someone were to claim that a model being literally unfinished and fuel soaked with hammer marks is pleasing to him, that would not get high marks from me either. Then there's the old "originality", not fair by today's standards, and the old standard of "realism", which can be judged on several levels, but shouldn't (IMO) be carried to excess - like claiming that pilot visibility would be lacking. I don't think that low scores for well-finished wing tips, whatever their configuration, lies very often within the spirit of the rules. For instance, I like Christ's beautifully finished tips. 'sorry to disagree here, but I think they deserve high marks, regardless of personal preferences. I would also reward Ron Burton's expert realism with the highest marks. Shiney isn't everything, but shiney or not, superior workmanship would get high marks from me.

SK

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »
I do not think that there should be any deduction for any shape of wing tip. After all the wingtips are what make the character of the model. To deduct 2 points for a wingtip because the judge dont like them is stupid and the judge should be hung from the higest rafter. Any tip is ok and it's the finish and the workmanship that counts. Booooooooooo to The Judgggggge mw~ HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
Steve,
If you deduct 2 points because the wing doesn't have the "proper" wing tips, do you also deduct for improper stab tips, fin shape, tapered flaps, etc?  How about the color of the airplane?  What color is the "proper" color?  Is a 2 bladed prop or a 3 bladed prop "Proper".  Where does it stop? 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
Steve,
If you deduct 2 points because the wing doesn't have the "proper" wing tips, do you also deduct for improper stab tips, fin shape, tapered flaps, etc?  How about the color of the airplane?  What color is the "proper" color?  Is a 2 bladed prop or a 3 bladed prop "Proper".  Where does it stop? 
. Good points but you have to concider the source of that kind of information ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> HB~> HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here