News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing tip UP-Down lead out position, does it matter?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
wing tip UP-Down lead out position, does it matter?
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »
I have seen that the forward wing tip lead out for up elevator is preferred. Many of the classics, such as the J.D.Flacon I am building, show bell crank/push rod position that will result in a wing tip forward lead out will give down elevator and up elevator for the rearward lead out. I am not good enough at flying (yet), to discern a difference in actual plane performance. Does it actually make a difference?
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: wing tip UP-Down lead out position, does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
Jim,

The down leadout in the forward position is a result of attempting to moderate gyroscopic procession. In this case, the tendency of the plane to yaw in (toward the pilot) on down control. Not sure how effective this method is, but some at least. A lot of stuff effects this trim consideration and the down line forward is just one way to help counteract the effects.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »
I get myself confused. So, is down elevator in the forward lead out the preferred position? Or is it better to have the UP in the forward lead out position?  And if I switch to UP in the forward lead out, is the J.D. Falcon still determined to be classic? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure this all out.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »
Which leadout is in front doesn't effect it's stature as a classic plane. In theory, having the down leadout in front is the preferred position, depending on how you look at things. I doubt you'll notice much difference either way.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »
Randy:
Oh, OK, now I've got it! I kind of prefer the down as the forward lead out. And maybe another little benefit, less tendency for the push rod at the bell crank to the flap horn to contact the lead outs. Maybe this isn't a problem, but as many binding points that I can avoid will help me.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
Which leadout is in front doesn't effect it's stature as a classic plane. In theory, having the down leadout in front is the preferred position, depending on how you look at things. I doubt you'll notice much difference either way.

OOPS; to counteract precession the preferred installation is UP line forward, DOWN line in back, per the church of "Reverend Al" Rabe.  Maybe he'll check in here and affirm???

Jim:
I'll bet I've really confused the issue for ya now!  I routinely make the front line UP, even modified a couple ARF's that way.  However, it is NOT a deal breaker either way.  More important that the controls work freely, and I really like to see the leadouts spread no more than 1" or so at the tips - further minimizing any impact.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »
Dennis:
During flight, do you notice a difference between Up front, down back and up back, down front? And yes, I continue in a confused state.
Jim
PS: 32 temp. man it's cold where you are! To us Floridians any thing below 60 or maybe 70, is cold.
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:43:30 PM »
Never flown the SAME airplane both ways.. From airplane to airplane can't tell ya that I ever noticed a difference - there are other things that matter more.

However, talking to Al Rabe WAAAAY back in i the early 1970's he made a convincing argument for putting the UP line in front.  Al was (and still is) flying airplanes with BIG propellors and precession effects.  He links the rudder to the elevator so the rudder turns IN on up manuvers annd OUT on down manuvers  Thus the front line UP is marginally making a contribution to controlling the precession effect.  I bought into the line set-up because it seemed the "right" thing to do, NOT because of any trim problems that I could trace back to.

The only other thing to watch for is whether the bellcrank is straight across the arms or offset, like the Sig 4".  That bellcrank should ONLY be used with the front line up and the pushrod arm pointing at the inboard wingtip.

Build the JD whichever way works the best for you.  As you noted if the pushrod arm points toward the outboard tip there are fewer issues with interference.

Finally, as for the weather report, I'll have you know its a balmy 38degrees as I write this.  I'm thinking about breaking out the sun screen as my long lohns only are rated a 4 in UV protection.   8)

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »
Dennis,

Pretty much my thought. I've done it both ways and never seen much effect one way or the other.

First sunny day we've had in awhile here. And a balmy 37 degrees. But it's the high humidity that gets me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
jeez guys, sounds like lawn chair weather over there, weve been in the mid 20 degrees, with some brisk breezes to help stir up the snow, only about 4 or 5 inchs, but its hard to tell exactly, every time I go measure it, the wind moves it around!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
I suppose I should stay on post once in a while, I build mine with the upline in front cause sensai Pat says to. does it make a difference? lol ask someone who can tell, I cant tell if I get the motor running the right direction some times HB~> HB~> LL~ %^@ 
anybody have any idea if skis will trow the trim off on my stunter?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
Al Rabe first pointed out the possibility of countering gyroscopic precession in a magazine article the 1970's.

The principle is that gyro precession from propellor rotation tends to yaw the model's nose out on UP control inputs, and in on DOWN inputs. (Normal rotation engine, CCW upright flight direction.)

The leadouts split the pull load and aim it through the leadout guides at the model's CG. One leadout is usually ahead of the mid-line of the pull force, and the other behind it. When there's UP input, there's an increase of the load on the UP line (to overcome the airloads on flap and elevator.) If the UP line is behind the mid-line to the CG between the leadouts, it ADDS to the nose-out on UP tendency from precession. Same happens the other way, on DOWN inputs, the load shifts forward, ADDING to the nose-in tendency.

Al R's idea was to flip the bellcrank over, pushrod connected inboard of the pivot, so that the UP line leadout is forward. When the nose tries to swing right on UP, the pull force shift aims ahead of the CG, tending to pull the nose left. And, of course, vice versa. The slight complication of having the pushrod on the same side as the lines has been no problem for about the past 30 years.

I have seen a definite difference, and have tried it both ways on the same model. (Moved the elevator horn to the top surface of the elevator, on an unflapped profile.) With 'traditional' bellcrank set-up - pushrod on the side away from the leadouts, elev horn underneath - the model was very twitchy in yaw. When I moved the elevator horn to the top surface, the UP line became the forward line. Much less yaw twitch on sharp UP and DOWN inputs.

So, the simplest way to say it is UP line forward to reduce yaw twitch on sharp control inputs. It really appears to work!

I've also flown models with reverse rotation engines, and the 'traditional' (pushrod outboard of pivot) set-up works. The prop gyro precession with the engine going CW is the opposite of the effect with a CCW turning engine.

Ever notice that the HOT Carrier fliers are using reverse rotation engines??? A bigger part of that is the engine torque reaction rolls the model when they jazz the throttle, just like a muscle car did. With normal rotation engines, that reaction tends to roll the model into the center. In the "low" speed segment of the flight, it would be much nicer to have the model try to roll away from the center when you punch the throttle...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:47 PM »
I've put the "up" leadout in the back on every single plane I've built. Untill now. On the JVL Chipmunk I'm working on, I decided to try the "up" leadout in the front position, just to see if there is a difference. since there is good argument for doing it and it can't hurt performance, why not try it?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 05:23:00 AM »
Igor wrote a convincing argument in a "Hunting" thread on the SS forum that the front line up configuration exacerbates this problem in a plane with the tendency to hunt.

I'm not sure with narrow line spacing that it really matters much which is up.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
I've heard this discussion many times before.  My answer remains the same.

I've built and flown countless models both ways, and NEVER could fell any difference in the way they fly.

Maybe if you make a habit of hanging the plane from one line, you might feel something, but I rig mine so there's always some tension in both lines, the UP/DOWN positon means nothing to me, and I don't break leadouts.

ps: If you do plan on hanging by one line in the squares, put the DOWN in back (per Al via Dennis).
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »
I beleive in the early days the leadouts were spaced out to as much or more than two inches.  Would make a difference on yaw of plane.  Now leadouts are 1 inch or less.  I think that is why Palmer had the vertical leadouts on his Thunderbird II.  MERRY CHRISTMAS,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
Paul and Doc,

The pull on the leadouts almost never goes to zero on one line. When it does, you've hit the 'Netzeband Wall'. (Where the pull required on the 'acting' line side of the bellcrank to turn the model as you want is more than the total pull the model is generating at that moment.) That is the only time you're actually 'hanging' the model on one line, and you can really see the unloaded line droop way aft from its own air drag. Yeah, I have done that once or twice... very disappointing...

Doc, I have a little more theory on the separation between the leadouts at the guides... With the lines UP forward/ DOWN rear, if you can estimate how much the model pulls before starting a, say, square corner, and presume that all of the pull does shift to that line for an instant during the turn, you can also estimate how far forward of the mid-line, at the line rake angle, it takes to neutralize the gyroscopic precession yaw for the RPM and prop. Precession can be estimated. So can line rake.

If my ideas on this are right, or even close, leadout guides places over and under do nothing to oppose, much less cancel, the precession forces. Further, if the model rolls in flight - from a gust, or from a rapid yaw making the wings change relative speed, that creates a control input through the bellcrank.

Clearer, (perhaps?) if you're flying level and start a sharp corner, there'll be a gyro precession yaw unless something prevents it. For an UP-control input, the nose swings right. The left wingtip move faster than it did before the gyro kick. Since the model is yawing on the CG as center, the right wingtip slows, compared to before the kick. (Yes, the speeds 'progress' across the entire span, but the tendency is the same.) When a wing moves faster, it lifts more; when it slows, it lefts less. That says the model tends to yaw and roll in response to a sharp input. (Can you say:"Hinging?")

Overn and under leadouts act like a handle input when the model rolls... With the leadouts horizontally placed, there is some of the same tendency when the model yaws, but we're used to that. It always did since we started flying CL...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »
OK.  My answer is that it doesn't make much difference, but I have always thought that a front UP line would offer a slight advantage with regard to gyroscopic precession.  The front down line may have a slight negative effect.  Since there isn't enough difference to worry about, why not go for the slight possible improvement?

Al

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »
Hi All,
Every time I set out to trim or retrim an airplane, I end up moving the leadouts as close to each other as I dare.
I did try crossing the leadouts once after making some minimal provisions to prevent them sawing through each other, and I ended up with a forward UP line, but I think that the whole issue may have been clouded by the 1/8" of vertical offset I used. (UP line low)

hey, I did the experiment!
   Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here