News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing tip skid, application?  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Wing tip skid, application?
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I have to put a wing tip skid on the Skyfall 007 because it has only one wheel as with the Flite Streak tradition. This would keep the tip off the ground a tad. Save on the paint over time.

I'm giving it some thought and would like to get it done sometime today.

I have ideas, but have never seen anyone's model with a wing tip skid.

Anyone's model have a wing tip skid?

Thanks in advance.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing tip skid, application?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
Charles,
There are several ways I've seen this done, one is a simple triangluar plywood piece about 1/2" off the late rib on the tip. Another way is with a wire again attached to the last rib kinda like a tail skid. The problem is that you already have it painted. If you have a tip weight box you could do the skid soldered to a large washer or piece of brass plate, then use the box bolt to hold it in place and the box cover. You might also be able to just make a new box cover with a plywood skid off to the side of the bolt then just repaint the skid and box cover. Last thing I can think of is just shape a skid strip and glue it on top of the last rib, if you do it with brass sheet you could polish it and maybe make it part of the gold trim out there.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Charles,
There are several ways I've seen this done, one is a simple triangluar plywood piece about 1/2" off the late rib on the tip. Another way is with a wire again attached to the last rib kinda like a tail skid. The problem is that you already have it painted. If you have a tip weight box you could do the skid soldered to a large washer or piece of brass plate, then use the box bolt to hold it in place and the box cover. You might also be able to just make a new box cover with a plywood skid off to the side of the bolt then just repaint the skid and box cover. Last thing I can think of is just shape a skid strip and glue it on top of the last rib, if you do it with brass sheet you could polish it and maybe make it part of the gold trim out there.

Best,        DennisT

BINGO!

Dennis to the rescue!

The weight box lid. So obvious you don't give it thought. I know exactly how I will do it now.  #^

Dennis, thanks for info and direction.

I'll be back with a few photos.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »
Here's how I did my wing tip skid. As suggested by Dennis Toth.

Pictures should tell it all.

Thanks Dennis!

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
Charles,
Nice job, did you get the clear coat on? Hope you can mount up the engine and tank and be ready for the weekend. We plan on going Saturday and Monday morning. I have an adjustable handle that you can use to do the initial setup flights, I'll have it with me at the field.

BTW, I have the YAK-YAK bipe ready with the new light muffler and pushrod, ship is now 44oz on 600 sq in. Also slowed the controls by drilling a new closer-in hole in the bellcrank. All looks good.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »
Dennis,

I'm waiting on the Body shop. I found out today the guy will spray the model after hours.

Possibly Thursday or Friday.

Can't see how I can have the model ready for Saturday.

what woyld be a good tank size for the vintage Fox .35? I have the one in the photo and another that is 3.5 oz.

I can use the prop that's on the McCoy, yours.  LL~ LL~

I'll bring my ball and glove.

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
Charles,
The 3.5 oz will be good for the OTS pattern but 4 would give enough for the full PA. Maybe the guy will get it done early. Monday may be windy but we'll give it a try.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
Charles,
The 3.5 oz will be good for the OTS pattern but 4 would give enough for the full PA. Maybe the guy will get it done early. Monday may be windy but we'll give it a try.

Best,        DennisT

Dennis,

Is there a 4 oz tank that guys use on Flite Streaks? Bearly get 3" between the LE and the engine.

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
Charles,
I think you can get a tank from RSM the snub nose tank (the 4 oz is 3" long model# GRW400U, $11 bucks) that would be setup be setup as uniflow profile and has the pickup line coming out the bottom to keep the fuel line short to the NVA.

Remember to put the 1/64" crush shims under the engine mounts and when you mount the tank to offset high on fin on the Fox 35, also put a 1/8" kick-out wedge on the back of the tank.

BTW, we have a neat dedicated flying field in Palm Beach County at the west end of Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach. It is a little drive but might be a neat place to do evening flying. Hope we get to fly over the weekend.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
Charles,
I think you can get a tank from RSM the snub nose tank (the 4 oz is 3" long model# GRW400U, $11 bucks) that would be setup be setup as uniflow profile and has the pickup line coming out the bottom to keep the fuel line short to the NVA.

Remember to put the 1/64" crush shims under the engine mounts and when you mount the tank to offset high on fin on the Fox 35, also put a 1/8" kick-out wedge on the back of the tank.

BTW, we have a neat dedicated flying field in Palm Beach County at the west end of Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach. It is a little drive but might be a neat place to do evening flying. Hope we get to fly over the weekend.

Best,         DennisT

Dennis,

What are "1/64" crush shims? I have Brodak nylon weggies someplace to offset the Fox.

Yes, I remember you mentioning the "kick out" for the tank. I will do all of that.

No clear yet and I may have to work Saturday.

Haven't been there in years, but I know that flying field well. I heard they did away with the CL circle? Maybe not.

That field a drive.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
Charles,, Fox 35s are bad for the machining on the mount flanges,, they seldom are true,, if you just sinch them down they will flex and distort the case,, motor no run good,,,

so I use a small strip of 1/16 balsa under the mount flanges as a crush zone to take up the misalignment,, others use different materials,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »
Charles,, Fox 35s are bad for the machining on the mount flanges,, they seldom are true,, if you just sinch them down they will flex and distort the case,, motor no run good,,,

so I use a small strip of 1/16 balsa under the mount flanges as a crush zone to take up the misalignment,, others use different materials,,

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I understand that now, I can still put my Brodak nylon weggies under the balsa for engine offset. Correct?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:54 AM »
RSM the snub nose tank (the 4 oz is 3" long model# GRW400U, $11 bucks)

Dennis,

I didn't want to spend the money because I have this 3.5 oz. tank, but I did. I ordered it this morning from RSM.

I hope it's chrome plated. I'm kidding!

Did you look that up or have you used that tank?

Charles

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
FAI team racers have only one wheel and they land really well because of the placement of the wheel relative to the CG.  They might have a small bump on the bottom of the outboard tip to keep that tip to eliminate scratches on the bottom of that wing tip due to rough handling.  A wire hanging down from the outboard wing tip scraping the ground will give the impression of a wallowing drunken praying mantis.

Keith

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »
Charles I would have to agree with Keith. That wire is not the way to go. A small 1/8 plywood skid about 1/2 off the wing in the similar shape  as the rib would be better.
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »
Robert,

A skid is necessary because we sometimes fly or land on dirt. Dirt is like sandpaper.

The wire will be cut and bent back to follow the airfoil shape. I thought that was obvious.

The advantage with the wire skid attached this way is, it can be removed if an all grass field is used, and it disappears when the model is in "Flite."  Doesn't take away from the clean lines of the Flite Streak at all and could also be removed and used as a tool to clean out tank tubes. Could also be used as a toothpick?

I was thinking of donating the Skyfall 007 to the Academy, but because they have little interest in CL, they may not even want it.

Saving their room for the growing interest in and the more popular ARF R/C Foamies.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here