News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing Building  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Wing Building
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
Has anyone else used the "Box" (for lack of a better term) method for building a wing?
I first saw this on the first Genesis plans.  A 3" sheet is used for the TE cap, attached to the table, and two sheets for the LE.  These are centerlined and a 1/8th" square strip is glued on to locate the ribs.  It is similar to the "Lincoln Log" construction with out the blocks and using full ribs.  I built a wing lke this and it was an easy method of doing so.  As straight as the table it's built on.  Build one side, flip it over and build the other.  The scrap that's cut off the LE and TE are used on the next one for spars, etc.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Wing Building
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:32 AM »
Bill, this method is shown on one of Windy's old construction video's, I'd send
you a copy but you'd already have a wing built by the time it's arrives from Australia ;)
RJV Melb. Australia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:36:16 AM »
Bill, this method is shown on one of Windy's old construction video's, I'd send
you a copy but you'd already have a wing built by the time it's arrives from Australia ;)

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the offer!
I have already built a wing like this, though, and I was just wondering what anyone else's experience was with the method.  It worked very well for me about 15 years ago.  Haven't built one like that since then but I am considering building the 35 size Genesis and I still have the templates for the ribs with the locating slots in the front and rear.
The last one I built was a Genesis 35 wing used in a slightly different body style.  I also stretched the wing to 54".  It flew very well!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:06:46 AM »
Hi Bill,

looks like we might have our own "building project MK11" ;D!!
I too am building a Genisis 35, good minds thinks alike ;)
The box method I've never used but it seems ok, I'll be using glass plate
surface and jig blocks (Tom Morris method) at this stage, read about the larger
Genisis 40 I think.....it was a kit from memory. The original version is what I'll
stick too.....though changing the fuzz is / was tempting but I'll leave it as is,
I wrote to Bob Hunt many moons ago about the G35 and my query was centered
on the type of stab section to use on this model ....nowdays, he mentioned
that his "Europa" shared some history with the G35 and to use a simiular geo -d
stab set up, this I'll do but keeping the thickness of the stab original, only other
changes in mind are 4" b -crank, extra fuze formers, traditional tail wheel (not
the orig) faired -in deal, motor wise I'll have a Frank Bowman OS 35 s that will
power it nicely.
Bill any hints or tips with your original G35 I'll gladly take aboard.
One thing I know is that this model flies well, many guys over the years give it the
thumbs up.

Ron.

RJV Melb. Australia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:48:14 AM »
Hi Ron,
Yep, great minds DO think alike!  ;D ;D :o
I just *might* make the fuselage "standard" width to accomodate a regular 2" tank.  I'm not sure I want to do all the surgery on the OS 35S to get it into the narrowed fuselage.  The visual effect is not real noticeable, and Bob has told me that the extra cross section that the rear half of the fuselage will take on could help in turbulance.
There were several other planes from that time period that were based on the Genesis 35 that were very successful.
We ahve a contest here where the cut off for "Classic" is a rolling 25 year date.  This local meet calls it Vintage, and it gives me a chance to fly the Genesis 35 in contest conditions with out giving anything up.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:39 PM »
Bill,

I agree with what you said earlier in the thread even though I will probably never compete seriously.  Building should be part of the competion.  Or, make a class for ARF/ARC.

You mentioned a competition "here."  Is that competition close to our area?

Thomas

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:06:07 AM »
Hi Thomas,
The meet in Marietta, GA. which Tom Dixon puts on is the one I was referring to.

Huntersville (Charlotte) is our "closest" contests.  They have  Summer (june) and Fall (Oct.) meets.  All classes of Stunt, plus Combat, some Racing, and Scale. 

Do I have your phone number?  If you would, email me it again.  We need to get together!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:13:36 AM »
Hi Bill,

looks like we might have our own "building project MK11" ;D!!
I too am building a Genisis 35, good minds thinks alike ;)
The box method I've never used but it seems ok, I'll be using glass plate
surface and jig blocks (Tom Morris method) at this stage, read about the larger
Genisis 40 I think.....it was a kit from memory. The original version is what I'll
stick too.....though changing the fuzz is / was tempting but I'll leave it as is,
I wrote to Bob Hunt many moons ago about the G35 and my query was centered
on the type of stab section to use on this model ....nowdays, he mentioned
that his "Europa" shared some history with the G35 and to use a simiular geo -d
stab set up, this I'll do but keeping the thickness of the stab original, only other
changes in mind are 4" b -crank, extra fuze formers, traditional tail wheel (not
the orig) faired -in deal, motor wise I'll have a Frank Bowman OS 35 s that will
power it nicely.
Bill any hints or tips with your original G35 I'll gladly take aboard.
One thing I know is that this model flies well, many guys over the years give it the
thumbs up.

Ron.

Hi Ron,
A follow up onthe Europa.  Robby wanted a piped plane more of the G-35 size.  Him and my son Aaron had become pretty good friends then.  We talked with Bob about the Europa back then, and it really is pretty much a redesigned G-35 set up for the pipe installation but styled more like Bob's Saturn.  The Europa even has the "narrow" fuselage in it's original design.  They used a soft mount that Bob was producing at the time.
Those planes are still good flyers, good enough for about anything less than a very top eschelon stunt meet.  Don't know if the "impression points" would compete with the larger "full bore" stunters of today.  How the airplane "presents" is a factor at the very top levels.  But, there does seem to be some "underground" interest in slightly smaller ships that present "larger".  ;)

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here