News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel Pant Halves, Remove and Replace. Repeat.  (Read 855 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Wheel Pant Halves, Remove and Replace. Repeat.
« on: April 03, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »
I have these fiberglass wheel pants for my Scale TEXACO 13, 2 halves actually.

My goal is to be able to change the rubber William's Brother's wheel when necessary.

I really don't want to copy what I did with the GBR-3 wheel pants, I cut an opening and the piece can be removed and replaced. A lot of work. I would like to be able to remove the entire halves.

Any of you scale guys ever have a situation like this with wheel pants, and what was the remedy?

Thanks in advance.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Wheel Pant Halves, Remove and Replace. Repeat.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:12:18 PM »
I am not a scale guy, but Windys video, on You Tube, showed how he did it with balsa wheel pants.

Video number 304, 5, 6 or 307. I watched it the other day not sure which one it was, a friend of  his building a Cardinal.

He split the pants in half, laid in 1/16"(?) ply on one edge left an area extra at each end for a blind nut. Inlaid ply on the other half of the wheel pant to take the bolt. I wasn't paying that much attention, I had it on in the background, but that was the jist.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
I am not a scale guy, but Windys video, on You Tube, showed how he did it with balsa wheel pants.

Video number 304, 5, 6 or 307. I watched it the other day not sure which one it was, a friend of  his building a Cardinal.

He split the pants in half, laid in 1/16"(?) ply on one edge left an area extra at each end for a blind nut. Inlaid ply on the other half of the wheel pant to take the bolt. I wasn't paying that much attention, I had it on in the background, but that was the jist.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm familiar with this setup, in fact I did this on a R/C Ryan ST years ago. Big wheel pants.

That method is nice but you have the holes showing for the fasteners. I could use this method and apply small vinyl circles over the holes. Possibly get a good color match.

I was hoping for some magical way where no holes where present. Not a lot of scale guys so replies may be limited

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
What about if you overlapped 2 ply platforms at 90°, or whatever it would be, at the top and drilled in from underneath? So the holes would be in the bottom.

Or is that still an issue?

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »
What about if you overlapped 2 ply platforms at 90°, or whatever it would be, at the top and drilled in from underneath? So the holes would be in the bottom.

Craig

Craig,

Did you see these?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
Craig,

You took some interest, I want to thank you for this.

Thank you.

Believe it or not, your suggestions have helped me think a bit.

I believe I've found a way to join these things for removal and replacing using only two small bolts on each pant, underneath, front and rear.

I'm guessing, and at the moment it's only an idea, I can use thin metal rod's about .25" in height that will fit into brass sleeves. Sleeves on one side and the tiny rods on the other. Allowing for the half to be slipped up into the brass sleeves.

Just have to decide which side gets the sleeves?  They will have to be aligned perfectly for a tight fit.

I'm thinking 3 placed at the top.

Thanks again for that input and your interest.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »

Craig

Craig,

Something else I have to think about.

Because the wire gear is complicated, not a lot, some, I have to be able to tweak it a bit so the model tracks well on the ground.

I'm thinking that both halves should remain unfixed for their removal so this can be accomplished.

I still think the "pin and sleeve" idea will work, with two machine screws per side.

Charles.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
Magnets?
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 12:48:29 AM »
Magnets?

Craig,

I thought about magnets.

It's 2:51 AM, I had to walk my wife's dog. One of them anyway.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:34 AM »
2.51am! You take, "Social Distancing", seriously!!!!!
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:50:37 AM »
Craig,

I gave this a good deal of thought, I decided to take your advice and use magnets. With a few machine screws.

Obviously as few as possible.

Alignment is a challenge. Be interesting to know how others align these things up? I already know how I do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here