News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What’s up with my CA?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
What’s up with my CA?
« on: October 07, 2020, 10:42:51 PM »
Over the years I’ve tossed multiple bottles of ca because it set up hard in the bottle. This bottle is different. I used almost half of it with no problems then it started talking forever to set up. Several minutes after applying, it still pulls apart?  When it does set the joint seems week. It doesn’t seem very sticky when it comes out of the bottle.

Any of y’all ever had this happen?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
Re: What’s up with my CA?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 05:46:37 PM »
Is it cold where you're working? I find CA doesn't harden if it's too cold in my shop but it still goes off if I kick it.

Motorman

I have seen glue affected by cold but I don’t think that’s what’s going on here.

It dropped below 60 a couple times recently but not for long. I wouldn’t say it was cold. I doubt it got much lower than seventy in my work space.

Probably gone bad. Just never seen it go bad like this.

Understand what you’re saying Ty. Already got a replacement bottle.

Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
What you're describing is a clear sign that the CA has gone bad. I've had that happen many times. I now store my CA reserves in a ziplock bag in a freezer (1-yr shelf life), and pour into a dispenser bottle about 1/4 oz at a time. Lasts much longer this way.

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
I have had this problem with Zap/Pacer products CA. Normally with time it would thicken and be unusable, now, several bottles stayed liquid but would not harden. I have since switched to Bob Smith CA and I am very happy with their products. BTW- this is from very mild, SoCal weather.

NormF

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
Probably old.
Or Zap, which I've given up on.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
Over the years I’ve tossed multiple bottles of ca because it set up hard in the bottle. This bottle is different. I used almost half of it with no problems then it started talking forever to set up. Several minutes after applying, it still pulls apart?  When it does set the joint seems week. It doesn’t seem very sticky when it comes out of the bottle.

Any of y’all ever had this happen?

That's what happens to most of mine, eventually.

Brett

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
I've used Bob Smith exclusively since 2000 now with only one bottle setting up, and that was a gap filling bottle that was at least four years old.  I also use the freezer method of storing, but once I open a new bottle it says open in my shop.  Keep in mind that I'll use four to six ounces of thin a year and at least four ounces of gap filling.  The stuff has me totally spoiled.  There are alot of guitars out there with BSI CA holding parts of them together.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
>>There are alot of guitars out there with BSI CA holding parts of them together.<<

LL~
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 10:01:41 PM »
As stated, Zap / pacer gets to this useless point extremely quick. I don't open the bottle until I'm ready, but when I do, I add how much I'll use to an empty BSI bottle, and use pipettes to apply what's needed. That leaves the original about as sealed as it gets. I use BSI, or extreme power from Hobby Lobby. It's pretty good stuff and easy to get around here.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here