News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What kind of fillers ?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
What kind of fillers ?
« on: April 15, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »
I've been trying to mix up some light weight fillers for my model , with little success .
Does anyone have a good recipe for mixing SIG Micro balloons , to get a nice smooth , yet sandable paste , or filler ?

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: What kind of fillers ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 05:33:30 PM »
I've been trying to mix up some light weight fillers for my model , with little success .
Does anyone have a good recipe for mixing SIG Micro balloons , to get a nice smooth , yet sandable paste , or filler ?

Rob K.

HI Rob,

What are you needing to fill?  I generally use light weight spackle for slight dings and such.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »
Rob:

For fillets and for blending canopies I have just recently started using Sig Epoxolite. As far as I'm concerned it beats Brodaks areopoxy all to heck. It's more user freindly and sands great. I have Micro Balloons but haven't used it yet, so I too would like the formula.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 05:39:06 PM »
Rob:

For fillets and for blending canopies I have just recently started using Sig Epoxolite. As far as I'm concerned it beats Brodaks areopoxy all to heck. It's more user freindly and sands great. I have Micro Balloons but haven't used it yet, so I too would like the formula.

There is a product that I have been meaning to buy from Aircraft Spruce called Super-Fil.
It is a light blue, I understand.  Made for the purpose of fillets and such.  Everyone I have talked to that has used it says it is the best by far.

Randy Powell (IIRC) uses it, maybe he will "fill"us in!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 05:52:12 PM »
Hey Fellows :)

What I need to fill , are what Bill mentioned in his 1st post ( little dings and fractures in sheeting ) .
I've tried Great Hobbies Aliphatic resin-based wood glue (water -based) to no avail .
It mixes with the micro-balloons and then turns into a jellied mass , something like silicone :(
I did try Ambroid with micro-balloons and it worked very well , but I'm worried about it curing too brittle .

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »
Spackle is about the only thing I've found that applies quickly, dries fast, is sandable, etc... Only bad thing is that sometimes dope doesn't like to stick to it. 

Microballoons work great in epoxy, anything else seems to just make a mess.  The Sig packaging even suggests mixing with Sig-bond which is basically Ambroid, but that just turns into a goop that kicks before its applied. 

Epoxolite is great, except that its messy, takes forever to dry, and is impossible to sand.  Not to mention if you don't rough it up or clean its surface before painting, nothing will stick to it. 

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 11:39:36 PM »
T1 How to mix filler. I use Epoxolite and micro balloons. First heat the Epoxolite in the microwave.  n1EXTRA CATION NEEDED HERE! n1 It comes out hot! real hot.

T2 Carefully stir the parts A and B Real good. Mix 50-50 by weight. Stir real good. Add micro balloons till a paste is made. I use rubbing alcohol to smooth. Scuff sand with 220 and use auto primer to seal. y1

T3 %^  NOTE on heating. %^ Take the lids off and no more than 30 seconds. ''
AMA 12366

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 11:50:37 PM »
I tried the microwave trick and the gray stuff basically just cooked itself out of the plastic tub.  It was 10 years old though, so it could have just been the age. 

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »
I have been using Ambroid and micro balloons for a while, and I have not seen any cracking or brittleness at the filled area on my planes, and they hit the ground alot. But I put silkspan over the airplane too, and I always rub some thinned ambroid into the area that will take micro balloon/paste mix, works great for me.

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »
I have used Micro-Fill with pretty good luck let it get hard,sand smooth and hit it with thin Ca works good not messy.  Made by NHP suppose to put thin coat of polyester resin over it before dope will stick to it, or epoxy resin
Steve Adams

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »
These are all excellent techniques and I'm really pleased to see all the participants , providing  experienced insight .
I haven't built in a LONG time ( 12 years) and I feel kind of lost at times .
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post(s)

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »
HI Rob,

Ask away!  That is the primary reason this forum is here.  j1

As you will find, there about as many ways to skin a cat as there are people skinning them.  y1  Find a technique you are comfprtable with and build on that.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:51:25 PM »
On some dings I use Ambroid and balsa dust.  On smaller ones I use spackling.  The epoxy and micro balloons I have used on long grooves that were not too deep.  In all cases I let the stuff dry/cure for a few days at least. Learned the hard way of course, then sand, clear, dry, sand, clear, and filler coat.  Then finish as usual, what ever that means  <=

Balsa dust is great in Ambroid, Sigment, or Duco!  Just not for BIG areas.  Plus you gotta be quick.  y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
Hi Rob,

Much has been said about fillers, however until you hear from those that have used a product called "super-fil" made by Poly Fiber, you haven't heard it all.  It is easy to mix, 2 parts blue 1 part white and then stir.  It is a soft putty that dries in appx 12-14 hours and then sands like a dream.  Workability?  Scott Riese put me onto it when he did the Fillets on my Ringmaster and all I can say is wow!  I suggest that  you use google and key in Poly Fiber and then at their web site read up on Super-fil.  I purchased mine at Wicks but perhaps there is an outlet nearby where you live.  They have a toll free number and maybe by calling them you would be able to find a source right in you back yard.

Marv

Offline Greg Hart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 01:18:38 AM »
Supper Fil is the best working fill. I have used it on my last two planes. If you have never used it your missing the boat. I have tryed other fills, and have never had a filler that spreads as smooth as Skippy, and comeback  if needed, 4 hours later and dip your finger in alcohol and do added molding and smoothing touch up's. And for the cost, well it's a no brainer. y1
BUY A UKEY AND LEARN

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 02:35:44 AM »
On small dings, I've been using Plastic Wood, the common stuff in hardware stores. The ugly yellow color doesn't blend in much, but it sands well, especially when using a sanding block or t-bar. Under silkspan and primer, the color is hidden. I like the way it sands and the way dope sticks to it. I used light spackle for a while, nice and light, easy to sand. But dope didn't always stick well. At times the silkspan I applied over the solid surface failled to attach. Not a problem with the ugly yellow/orange plastic wood. I've hesitated to use plastic wood as a fillet. Thought it lacked the strength to make a radius and stay put. Thought it might fatigue crack over time. Of course it is possible to make a fillet using the ugly orange yellow paste, and, after it sets up, a top coat of CA or epoxy, might keep the fillet intact. Anyone try that?

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:07:21 AM »
Hi Guys,
Small dings in sheeting? Let the Balsa heal itself, I'll use water or windex, spritz a small area of the damage and most small dings will go away.

Mike Clark
Mike Clark

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
Actually, I have used a long needle and syringe to inject a little water into a covered ding from the backside of the sheeting, even from the bottom side of a wing or stab.

The wood usually returns to it's un-dinged state and the needle mark will disappear with a little heat from your covering iron.

Jim Oliver
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here