News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What glue for Laser cut kits?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What glue for Laser cut kits?
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »
Hey guys,

Do you sand off the scorched edge of laser cut parts before gluing/glueing? (pick one, either is correct)

If not, what is the best glue to use on the brown edge?

If you sand it off, does that cause poor fit of parts? ???

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: What glue for Laser cut kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:05:35 AM »
Hi Jim,

So far I have neither experienced any problems from the brown edge, nor have I heard of any, while using any glue.  Sanding the edges defeats the purpose of having the most accurate part possible, which computer controlled laser cutting allows us, IMHO.

No offense, Ty. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
I'm with Bill on this one. The CA glues work well for glueing ribs to spars. Alphatic Resin (Elmer's Wood Working Glue) works great for sheeting and cap strips. I don't sand the laser cut parts.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »
Hi Buddy,

I haven't run into the "Torch Bearer" yet! ;D

No I don't build many (if any) kits.  BUT, I have taken to getting laser cut ribs!  I LOVE THEM!  I also have three laser cut *short kits* of planes I especially have wanted to build.  A Bellanca stunter, a Mini Mako (Shark 35) and a Sterling Polish Fighter Scale plane!  Plus laser ribs for a Grondal AMA Special, mackey's Lark, Rabe Classic Mustang, Stuntwagon 30, and the SV series.  I even looked into getting laser cut ribs for the USA-1!  Haven't gone there.......... yet.  That laser has to run a LONG time to cut 144 ribs.  :o
Next will be an OTS Super Chief.  Oh, yeah, I do have a couple kits, even a Playboy kit.  I do like the looks of the Playboy.  And I have to build the Brodak Nobler kit, my family gave that to me as a Christmas present!

I have a "personal" design (mostly done through the help of Ron Burn) that I want to build in the next year or so.  It will be done with as many laser cut parts as I can get.  It is a VERY scale plane that works out to almost perfect numbers for a stunter.  VERY little deviation.  The airfoil only needed to be fattened up a touch, and a smidge added to the wing area.  It has an "automatic" pipe tunnel and it is a plane you will really like!  On paper it should be really good.  A lot of unique building methods in this one.

I don't have a great aversion to building kits, but I can build one from plans cheaper and get to choose my wood.  I don't ever have to "replace the kit wood"! **) 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
One kit in particular had some really burned wood. One of the few kits from that mfr.

Sounds like a Bear Cat, F8F, or a Crusader, F8U. The Crusader would be perfect for the pipe, right out the tail end. Great wing, kthickened up a tad. And it has a nice rudder shape.  LL~ LL~ H^^

Vic Macaluso did a great F8U for the pipe and used SV 11 numbers (inverted!).  Worked great....  I will let the cat out of the bag when I actually get it underway.  This one will in no way get "rushed", taking all the time needed to make sure everything is ready. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:06:26 PM »
Cat?  Hellcat?  Please do a Hellcat stunter. Cat out of the bag, a Freudian slip??  LL~

I do have a great set of plans, already, from Pat Johnston sized for a ST 51 or there abouts.

But the real project is still "Super Double Secret, for your eyes only, on a need to know basis, requiring a level 35 or above security clearance".  I have the cyanide capsule embedded in the tooth in case I get tortured......  LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 06:37:36 AM »
You can have it both ways... For a clear finish ship, wash the parts in bleach with a small brush, rinse in water and dry.  Clean parts and no loss of the laser accuracy.  Tom Hampshire

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

I like Toms' way but I still have a question Ty? You get laser cut ribs for the accuracy and sharp edges, how do you sand them without loosing all this. The obvious answer is very carefully, but I would like to know your actual process?

"Billy G"  ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »
I guess I don't know any better.  I usually run a bead of Elmers Glue All on each side of a joint.  Something like running a welding bead on metal.  Have had no problem gluing capstrips to ribs or the sheeting either.  I use very little CA anymore after having some problems with use of it.  In fact I still use quite a bit of the old Ambroid even tho it is not the same as I remember chewing off fingers in class.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here