News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What causes it ?  (Read 673 times)

Offline steve pagano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
What causes it ?
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
Just finished spraying my plane a coat of Polar Grey used 50/50 mix with a little retarder. The Finnish was rough and dried in about 2 minutes. any suggestions for my next coat of Piper Cream?

THI
                            -Steve
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What causes it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
Steve, I'm not a g'reat spray painter, so take this with a grain of salt until one of the more knowlegable finishers shows up.

It sounds like your thinner was too hot. Made the paint dry too fast. Makes me wonder what the paint was, and what thinner you used.

Some times paints and thinners aren't as compatable as we think they are. Most of the good painters I know, won't mix brands of paint and thinner. For instance, Brodak paints work extremely well with Brodaks thinner. Not sure what happens with Sig brand used with Brodaks and vice versa.

For your next coat, you'll want to smooth out the base coat by sanding most of it off, and apply another base coat. Let it dry a day, sand lightly, then apply the next coat.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: What causes it ?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:45:22 PM »
Steve,
I will attempt to help you, but to do this I need a bit more info

what kind of spray gun,
pressure at the gun, (or pressure at the compressor, and how long the hose is and what size is the hose)
brand of paint
brand of thinner
temp
humidity
how far away are you holding the gun from the surface
how much thinner
short of having that info, its virtually impossible to really diagnose the problem. sure a lot of guesses can be made but to really address the issue I need that info.

another thing to help diagnose this, you may want to test the adhesion of the paint you sprayed. one method (a bit aggressive) is to use good masking tape and stick it down over a part of the plane you know the covering is well stuck, then pull the tape up, if the grey lifts off the substrate it most likely is going on to dry for One of many reasons. be advised this is NOT a test to be taken lightly, you can pull underlayments up with it. the less potentially harmfull method would be to wetsand an area that you sprayed, pick the roughest looking spot, and wet sand with say 400 . You will need to sand until you start to see the underlayers showing slightly, if the grey feathers well, (no discernable sharp edge where layers seperate) then it is probably stuck andmost likely the problem is with the application as opposed to the material drying to fast.
If you let me know the other info I will help as much as I can before you "attack" your plane
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here