News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wetting LE sheeting  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Wetting LE sheeting
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »
Thought I would throw this out there.  I have a Buddy who comes over about every weekend to build (and sometimes fly).  He is building a Brodak Warbird modified to a P-47 w/bubble canopy from plans and his drawings.  He flew combat for a long time, but hasn't had a chance to fly much stunt, or build stunt planes.

When it came time to apply the LE sheeting, I wet them with some diluted Windex for him and had him pin them down on the wing until they dried.  Then he white glued everything down.  This was, in essence, "molding" the sheeting.  It goes on so much easier and gives less chance of inducing a warp.  He had never done it that way, so I guess it isn't that widespread an activity. (??)  I have been doing it for a long time.

What ya think??

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
Re: Wetting LE sheeting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:56:58 PM »
What's the mix ratio of water and windex?

Thomas

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »
What's the mix ratio of water and windex?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

About 1/2 and 1/2.  Some people use straight Windex, but I don't like to get a LOT of ammonia on the balsa.  I have seen ammonia cause balsa to become real brittle after a while.  Plain water will do the trick.

BTW:  When you want to fly, just give me a holler.  Is there a place near you where we can fly?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
Hi Thomas,

About 1/2 and 1/2.  Some people use straight Windex, but I don't like to get a LOT of ammonia on the balsa.  I have seen ammonia cause balsa to become real brittle after a while.  Plain water will do the trick.

BTW:  When you want to fly, just give me a holler.  Is there a place near you where we can fly?

Bill <><

Bill a little vinegar and water mix after molding should naturalize the wood and prevent it from getting and staying brittle.  You can also just try soaking in water only.   <=
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »
 This method has always worked well for me.

Walter y1
walter menges

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »
I have also used the wings of various planes in the shop to form the sheeting over ,just use the ace bandages lightly streched to keep from warping the wing.
Marshall Busby

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »
Thanks guys, 

What I am erferring to is "pre molding" LE sheeting on conventional stunters.
I have used about every liquid that you can wet balsa with. 

Many people wet the outside of the balsa and glue it down all in one stroke.  I am referring to wetting both sides of the sheet, and letting it dry BEFORE you glue it down.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »
So was I, I just did not repeat all of the steps to soak it in hot water in the tub for about 15/20 minutes prior to using an existing wing to form and dry,as this was what we were discussing.

You can utilize this for fully preformed leading edge sheeting or just a top or bottom piece.

You would not want to wet either one or both sides and glue it down immediately as this could lead to the starved horse look as soon as the balsa dried and the adhesive would help to lock that sway back look in place.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:38:33 PM »
So was I, I just did not repeat all of the steps to soak it in hot water in the tub for about 15/20 minutes prior to using an existing wing to form and dry,as this was what we were discussing.

You can utilize this for fully preformed leading edge sheeting or just a top or bottom piece.

You would not want to wet either one or both sides and glue it down immediately as this could lead to the starved horse look as soon as the balsa dried and the adhesive would help to lock that sway back look in place.
Busby

Thanks, Marshall. 

I want the guys who have not had as much experience in building to get ideas from us.  I have LE bucks that I mold turtle decks from and such.  I have also seen construction articles that tell you to wet the LE sheeting and glue it.  I think that procedure leaves more risk for a bad turn out of the parts.  Inducing some stresses, etc..

I found out that Phil had never even thougth of doing this, and I have been doing it for years.  You know what the word "assume" is for.   y1 <= **)

Bill <><

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 04:01:44 PM »
K
Marshall Busby

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 09:45:44 AM »
Thanks guys, 

What I am erferring to is "pre molding" LE sheeting on conventional stunters.
I have used about every liquid that you can wet balsa with. 

Many people wet the outside of the balsa and glue it down all in one stroke.  I am referring to wetting both sides of the sheet, and letting it dry BEFORE you glue it down.

Bill <><

Thats what I do on built up wings.  It works great
Steve

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »
this might be worth a try

when i have to mold balsa i put a coat of dope on the inside and let it dry a day or so

then glue say the leading only in place and then wipe with wet rag and let it curve its ownself down and then glue.

be carefull on this as it can be used to wrap sheeting around the small end of a pool stick.this is how i did it for a free flight boom. did need hot water or maby i steamed it on but i remember that it wraped itself around the q-stick with out my helping it.

David

David Roland

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »

Bill <><

Bill,

This is interesting. I have a few planes in the basement that are old enough to vote and I've never had any sheeting become too brittle.

I just use regular household ammonia and brush it on straight from the bottle. Clears your sinuses and molds your sheeting in one easy step.  <=

I let it dry before gluing and have never had any problems.

My .02 worth,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »
Hi Ron,

I used the same stuff a couple years ago.  Poured it straight from the bottle.  Could have molded a pretzel out of the balsa!

Later, I have had four holes I the LE sheeting of three planes I did this way from VERY minor finger taps. 

As I understand it, ammonia breaks down the lecithin in the wood and it stablizes back as it dries.  Maybe I used too much ammonia.  I really drenched the wood! 

Anyway, I found that hot water will get about the same results and (so far) no evidence of the wood wanting to break that *easily*.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
As I understand it, balsa has little or no subrin or lignin; the substances which ammonia affects.  So no ammonia is needed.  The problem is getting the balsa wet.  I did some leading edge molding and used just a wisp of simple green in the water (sprayed on) and had an immediate limp piece of 1/32.  Had no problem with gluing or doping.

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
Years ago I had a friend in the sheet metal business make me a pan about 38" long x 8" wide and about 3" deep.  Filled with HOT water and a generous splash of ammonia (stand WAY back and hold your breath!)  Add balsa sheeting and let it soak for hours.  lay it on an old wing that is the right shape or a mold and bandage in place.  Let it set for a few days...  I would set it on top of the heat vent in the basement in the winter, toasty...!  Made it very easy to lay on the ribs with out inducing warps.  Of course I added the warps during the glueing!  Drat!!  I was told the secret is getting the wood thoroughly soaked....  Just a thought
Jim   

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Here is something I have thought about which may appeal to some.  Get a piece of more that 3 in inside diameter PVC pipe a little longer than your sheet.  Cap the bottom and put a screw on cap on the top.  Also make a screen device to fit inside.  Make a connection on the cap for a fuel syringe.  Fill near the top with water, put the sheet balsa in, put the screen in to hold the balsa below the water.  Put the cap on, Use the syringe to pull a partial vacuum. Clamp off the syringe line and pull some more vacuum with the syringe.  What you are doing is pulling the air out of the balsa.  Should have limp balsa very shortly.  Rube Goldberg would be proud.  ;D

Offline Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 08:12:51 PM »
I've always had good luck wetting the sheets with methanol.  It draws right into the wood and evaporates shortly. No need to wait a day.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here