News:

• May 04, 2024, 11:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector 40  (Read 1628 times)

Offline sadams714441

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Vector 40
« on: February 27, 2007, 08:07:58 PM »
Does anyone have pictures or can you tell me how to make the outboard trim tab moveable, and how do you hook it up?  Have my wing pretty much built except for this outboard tab
Steve Adams

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
Re: Vector 40
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »
On my vector ARF i literally broke it off and sanded the trailing edge of the wing smooth the put a single hinge and connected a control horn on the wing tip with a 2 inch pushrod connected to the trim tab with a adjustable clevis

hope this helps

Steve
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:11:18 AM »
Tom Morris sells a little device for this - works on rudders and trim tabs.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »
One hinge is enough to hold it on ok?  With adjustable link ?  Then inbed horns in wing tip and on adjustable piece?
Steve Adams

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:29:10 AM »
One hinge is enough to hold it on ok?  With adjustable link ?  Then inbed horns in wing tip and on adjustable piece?

I usually use two hinges. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
Does anyone have pictures or can you tell me how to make the outboard trim tab moveable, and how do you hook it up?  Have my wing pretty much built except for this outboard tab

Steve,

Here is an idea for you to work from.  There is nothing critical about the tab, so you can engineer it to fit your needs.

This is a moveable rudder on a Southwick "Skylark", but the principle can be use for your wing tab.

My criteria was to have the assembly removeable for finishing, minimum size for appearance, and to use 'pin-less' hinges to dampen any flutter or vibration.

One feature is that the "zee" bend goes through a 1/16" piece of plywood that is flush with the surface.   The reason being, of course, is to have a smooth surface for finishing.   I used a Dubro #180 ball link for the adjustable end, and that is threaded/glued into a short piece of 1/4" diameter dowel that is recessed  into the surface.  You can adjust the length of the dowel to give you the moment arm necessary for the amount of travel you need.   You could use a clevis, but the ball link is small, and perhaps will not vibrate as much.  However, a clevis would allow 1/2 turn adjustments, whereas the ball link can only be adjusted in full turns.

Another feature is, because the surface is only "adjustable", it does not have to flex freely, so you can use the "pin-less" hinges that that see in the photo.   You DO want at least two hinges.

Post a picture for us, so we can see what you ended up with.

Cheers,

Warren Wagner

p.s.   It's 81 degrees here in Bradenton, Fl, however, it's too windy to go flying !!   :-(
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
I once tried using a link to adjust a wing tab, another time a rudder. Seems I found a way to get some turbulence that caused additional problems. I switched to using small Dia. brass tubes installed into the hinge position. They acted as ground adjustable non-movable hinges. Just bend to where I wanted the tab to be, and they stayed there until I re-adjusted them later.

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 03:41:53 PM »
Why couldn't a fella use little sheet metal tabs, same size as those hinges, and just hand-bend them to whatever angle you want? No external mechanism at all.  As you say, by its very nature they wouldn't have to bend much, or very often.  K.I.S.S.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »
I've never had any luck with adjustable tabs on the wings. While they work, as noted, other problems are created.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »
Why couldn't a fella use little sheet metal tabs, same size as those hinges, and just hand-bend them to whatever angle you want? No external mechanism at all.  As you say, by its very nature they wouldn't have to bend much, or very often.  K.I.S.S.

--Ray

Hi Ray,

It does work, but there is a chance of bumping the alignment out of whack.  To keep it "soft" enough to bend without breaking ny structure, it's soft enough to get accidently moved.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here