News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: V tailed Stunt models?  (Read 868 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
V tailed Stunt models?
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:54:45 PM »
In the last gasps of my building mode.....I had the awwwwdaaaasitteee' to build one of those beautiful Dave Gierke Novi 4 designs..... except that I built it with a quite sizable V TAIL.

After looking at this model on the building table...virtually ready for the final clear-coat before adding the first coat of grey-laced filler coat.
I stopped and viewed that model from all angles......
MY-OOOH-MY!
I started thinking of the razzing I would get, from not only Geirke-jerky, but also from the feed-back that I got from my local stuntgrunt-peanut gallery of co-addicted brotha's in balsa. Eveyone that looked at this aborted Novi...convinced me to abandon that rather funny looking V TAIL...and so I op'teteted' for a standard rudder, just still retained a small token jesture V tail, that included a rudder!!!

After finishing my 1977 new FAI Avenger model...I put that model back up on the wall, for more options...before I was sweet talked this model by a young senior flyer, (shall remain nameless-due to the STUPID-IS-AS-STUPID SHOULDN"T B.O.T.M.RULE, in order to semi-protect the guilty and innocent, who by the way, Took that model to great future success...and even placed highly at the national level with that modified V tailed (creme-n-slimegreen) Novi 4 that I fretted so long about and sadly abandoned the cause of the V!!!

Still, I keep wondering, if in fact....what a full oversized V tail would have done to the flying characteristics?  I have been sooooo out of touch for so long, but anyone know who has worked with this concept.
I have flown a few NOVI III's that sporte the anhedral elevators and I was very impressed with that beautiful model.

www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Gierke.pdf
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: V tailed Stunt models?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
Dave Gierke's beautiful NOVI III
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: V tailed Stunt models?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:16:54 PM »
Another shot of a beautiful flying Novi...extremely well built by Mark Freeman of VanCouver-Portland area.
Mark is an extremely talented builder and flyer, even shown here as a "child"he was takin home lots of winning pieces of plastic.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here