News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using CA  (Read 738 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Using CA
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:54:48 PM »
While I have not built a respectable Stunt ship since my Nobler Jr. I really like to use CA to tack parts together then go back with Elmers wood glue and fillet the joints where applicable that's not to say I do not coat butt joints priot to gluing. But some of you may differ in gluing techniques. I guess I am interested in how who does what.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Using CA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
Hi Scott,
I use CA and Elmers type water soluable. I do like you said and tack with the CA and glue with Elmers. You have to be careful and not use to much CA as it will wick a pretty long distance. Wherever the CA is used it will not make a stong joint with the Elmers. The CA tends to soak in and seal the wood and it prevents the Elmers from soaking in to make a good strong joint. I also thin the water base glue so it's not so thick and it's a little easier to work with and helps keep the weight down. Another issue that I think has been mentioned in the passed but I'll mention it again is that it's not a good idea to use Elmers when gluing doublers for a profile. The glue tends to dry around the perimeter and about a half inch in from the edge but the area inside stays wet because the air can't get to it. Thus it's not as good of a joint as it could be nor is it as strong as epoxy.

#^
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Using CA
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:03:19 AM »
I use EITHER cya or Elmers Glue All now for all non epoxy areas.  No need to come back and make a fillet of glue if you have glued it with cya, that is just adding extra weight.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here