News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Universal EP  (Read 2747 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Universal EP
« on: February 16, 2006, 02:11:28 AM »
I started this one in 2003 after reading a great thread in SSW about flapless stunters. I think it was Doug Moon and Mikey Pratt who gave the 'numbers' that I applied in this design. Thanks guys! Unfortunately I can't access the full CAD file, just a small jpg below, but Bob Kruger once kindly converted the file to DXF for me, so he may still have it. I promised Bob some construction pictures way back when, so finally here they are...

Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline ash

• Commander
Re: Universal EP
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:42 AM »
Fuselage, first up.

Its a built up profile. Aft of the wing looks a little like the tailplane structure under the 1/8" balsa skins. Forward of the wing its solid with 2 Oz CF cloth between the balsa skins and the core instead of ply doublers. The engine plates and undercarriage are recessed into the balsa to bear directly on the CF surface.

The inboard side is stiffened up and streamline with a balsa cheek cowl, which you can see in later pictures.

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:50:46 AM »
The tailplane and elevators are a simple balsa truss. The tailplane is 1/2" in the middle tapering to 5/16" at the tips. The elevators are about 3/32" thinner at the hinge, tapering to 3/32" TE.

Part of the 'Universal' concept is for modular parts that can be configured differently for design changes. This tailplane is a shortened 25% tailplane as the flapless concept needed only about 20% tailplane area, maybe less (I can't remember exactly). The original design called for a moulded CF tapered rectangular tube for the main spar, but I went for balsa this time in order to get it done quickly.

The CF undercarriage legs are layed up on an MDF z-shaped pattern with a mylar release film either side and another MDF pattern clamped down to form the mould. Its about 3/32" thick with a glasscloth core to preseve my CF stocks. Once the long panel is 70% cured, I hacksawed off some 3/4" strips and shaped them into legs.

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »
The wing is a little bit special. The construction method was devised as a way of getting a built-up structure to be very light using composite materials, namely rigid PVC foam, CF and S-glass. The idea was to have a moulded glass or kevlar D-box up front and idential CF/foam/glass hanging off the back of the d-box to support the film and TE. This is similar to how some fancy FF wings and combat wings are made.

Rather than make the moulds and find it didn't work, I decided to do a couple of balsa mock-ups to test the plan. One of those mock-ups was too good to ignore, so it became this very wing. Foam core sheeted with 1/16" balsa for the LE d-box, 1/8 balsa ribs and cap strips, 1/2" balsa TE and tips. Because all the ribs start out identical, I sanded off some of the 1/8 cap strips with the long sanding bar to get the airfoil even from root to tip. The airfoil started life as an Impact airfoil, but has evolved to suit the construction method. Basically that means a more forward high point at the tips and more aft curvature is some places, less in others.

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 03:06:50 AM »
You can see the carbon tow spar reinforcement near the centre section here. Its just epoxied onto the surface roughly. Each rib pair starts out parallel and are moved 1 inch either side at their TE station to create a kind of geodetic arrangement. It looks kind of random from some angles, but gives adequate support to the film skin and significantly improved the torsional rigidity of the structure.

The shucks from the foam LE core were used to hold the sheeted LE in alignment and the ribs and TE were built up behind it. Then each wing half, supported by the shucks was aligned and glued together. As it happens, I was not sufficiently accurate, as it needs a decent sized trim tab to fly level!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:41:06 PM by ash »

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:11:06 AM »
All in one peice!

The LE, centre section and tailplane centre section were all covered in CF veil doped on. The other black areas are all stained. I had planned to cover it in clear film and have the coloured wood and CF areas matching and visible through the film, but this turned out to be a really bad idea, so I painted it in the end.

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:21:30 AM »
And here it is ready to test fly!

The open bays were covered with a laminating film like OzCover or SLC. Then I doped Modelspan (like Silkspan) tissue over the whole model. The key to getting the tissue to look so transparent is to fill it completely with dope until it can be sanded smooth.

The whole thing was sprayed with acid catalysed lacquer sanding sealer, then auto acrylic lacquer silver. By that time I was eating into Nats preparation time, so I rushed through the final finishing. The colour is NGR stain sprayed directly onto the silver and outlined with a thick black marker pen, pretty much freehand, so plenty sloppy! ;D Thank goodness there are no appearance points in F2B!

The final satin/gloss finish coat is also acid cat lacquer, which seems to be reasonably fuel proof, but it sure ain't acetone proof! Don't ask  :-[

You can clearly see the black cap strips through the surface, and a number of people have been impressed by what they thought was CF construction. Telling them its just black ink is good comedy material  ;D

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 03:35:31 AM »
Power is an LA46 on uniflow with a special light muffler made out of a peice of aluminium deck chair extrusion. It weighs about and ounce, took 30 minutes to make and cost.... nothing  ;)

The model weighs 43 ounces, span is about 56" and area must be around 650 sq. I can't remember most of the specs off hand.

So, how does it fly? Well at first it exhibited many of the failings associated with flapless models. Tail-dragging square corners for example... But with a few months of trimming and practice, it seems to fly as well as any flapped model I've had, especially in low winds. The one thing it still can't handle is a 12+ knot wind overhead. It just gets blown down the hemisphere with disturbing ease.

The experimental aspects of this model have been very successful. I've learned that is very difficult to substitute balsa where weight is such a factor and that the special construction method, while it works, isn't any kind of revelation. It may be worthy of further development when I have nothing else to do, though. As far as the flapless thing goes, it has been great not having to trim flaps, but on the other hand its good to have the option of trimming flaps! The next one will be the original fully flapped Impact derived design, with more composite content, more weight, more power.

Offline Dennis Pedersen

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »
Very nice Ash and thanks for the detailed build info.First class.   :)
Dennis Pedersen
Alberta Canada

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks Dennis.

I had  great day with it today. It was calm so I decided to try some new, longer lines. I went from .016" HT steel 62ft e/e to Brodak .015 SS 64ft e/e. The difference was astounding. This thing likes a bit of velocity, but I'm no good with fast lap times. I have noticed it would do the best turns coming out of the hourglass, where it is travelling quite fast and the worst at the top where it is quite slow. Going to the longer lines, a few clicks leaner on the needle and whipping into the hourglass has boosted my flight quality enormously... everywhere. After two very successful trimming sessions in the last two weeks, I think I'm going to see my scores really jump. Two weeks til the next contest ;D

Offline Phil Smith

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:19:41 PM »
Nice article Adrian... It really does look very good from the outside of the circle. Very solid leaving a square corner...

Phil.
Phil Smith
Control Line is my life
NZL 323

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:15:21 PM »
Did any of those in-flight pictures come out any good, Phil?

Offline Phil Smith

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 08:43:58 PM »
I've sent some to your home email, the light was not too good, so quality is poor. Do what you will with them....

Phil.
Phil Smith
Control Line is my life
NZL 323

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
Thanks Phil. This one is ok:

Not as close to the wall as it looks ;D