News:

• May 17, 2024, 04:19:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Undercarriage legs on old designs  (Read 1209 times)

Offline charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Undercarriage legs on old designs
« on: April 15, 2006, 04:36:13 AM »
Many of the vintage and classic designs have the undercart fixed to a ply bulkhead behind the tank.  From there the wires stick down through the bottom fuselage sheeting.  It is all lovely when first built, but after a couple of flights the flexing of the wires tears the balsa away from around them leaving plenty of access for the oil to start soaking into the raw wood.  Other than changing the design entirely (too late anyway if it is already built), does anyone know of a foolproof way of sealing those gaps to prevent oil ingress while still remaining true to the original plans?

Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Undercarriage legs on old designs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:04:20 PM »
Many of the vintage and classic designs have the undercart fixed to a ply bulkhead behind the tank.  From there the wires stick down through the bottom fuselage sheeting.  It is all lovely when first built, but after a couple of flights the flexing of the wires tears the balsa away from around them leaving plenty of access for the oil to start soaking into the raw wood.  Other than changing the design entirely (too late anyway if it is already built), does anyone know of a foolproof way of sealing those gaps to prevent oil ingress while still remaining true to the original plans?

Hi Charlie,

I plug the holes neatly with clear silicone caulking.  Tail wheel outlets, too.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »

Hi Charlie

A lot of people  split  silicone  tubing about 3\4 inch long  and  wrapped it  around the gear right where it  exits  the  fuse. This  will help  but  nothing I know of will  be  permanent

Randy

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
I slide the tubing over the wire rather than splitting it.  another possibility, which I have not done, would be to make a plywood thing for the gear to exit through rather than balsa.  I have made that kind of gear removable.  Put the wire in a ply sandwitch and make a ply lined pocket for it.  Run a bolt through to hold it in place.  This is for having different gears for hard surface or grass.  It is a little heavier, but then I build tail heavy airplanes.  ;)

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 07:03:57 AM »
Also, you want to anchor the wire to the plywood bulkhead as close to the bottom sheeting as possible.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
   We generally only fly off grass around here (soccer/football fields and a couple of guys have their own circles).
Some times these grounds are a bit "unloved" during the off seasons for the sports and our models cop a hard time because of this.
   What we tend to do if we can afford the weight in the .35 and larger sized models is to use 5/32" wire instead of 1/8" for a bit more rigidity.
   This combined with soldering a small washer on to cover where the wire exits the bottom of the fuse.
   I generally rough up the back of the washer first so that some thin CA can be wicked in afterwards to give a good puchase onto the bottom sheeting.
   I have seen models with  hundreds of flights on them and there is not even a crack in the paint around the undercart legs let alone the ugly oil filled slots that occur when running 1/8" wire.
   This seems to be the best solution for us as we only ever fly off grass and don't require interchangeable landing gear.
Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »
I have an EASY under construction in the U.S. As Jim indicated, when adding the 1/8" cross sheeting to the bottom, I used a piece of 1/8" hard ply at the u/c exit point. So, great minds think alike! Oops. Yes I know the original had much thicker material top and bottom, but I am trying to build it a bit lighter without anyone knowing. ::)
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here