News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:40:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Umland Chipmunk 6 - Wings started  (Read 627 times)

Online Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Umland Chipmunk 6 - Wings started
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:11:02 PM »
First I cut out the foam where the gear block go in. I had glued in the clips previously. I had a bad experience with 3M spray glue once, so I use epoxy for the wing sheeting. I mixed 30 min glue and spread it really thin. Then hit it with heat and scraped off any excess. Smashed the cores in the cradles and let them set overnight. The leading and trailing edges are epoxy as well. I'll probably pay a weight penalty for all the epoxy glue here, but it makes me feel better. The sheets were made with CA though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:41:11 PM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Ron King

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Umland Chipmunk 6 - Wings started
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »

Clint,

The final result will depend on how much epoxy you were able to scrape off. If you got enough off, the results will be lighter than contact cement. I prefer epoxy for wing skins and my leading and trailing edges, too. It's inert after curing, doesn't attack the foam, and is much easier to sand and shape later.

I stared using vacuum bags for my wings 25 years ago when we were doing some serious RC Sailplane building. I'm now spoiled and don't feel like hauling all those weights around.  :## :##

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here