News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two part epoxy paint  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Two part epoxy paint
« on: September 10, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »
Help!!!!! does anyone have an opinion or used Klass Kote epoxy paint? I want to try some but i have no experience with epoxy paint. I want to start using it only to fuel proof, then later to airbrush color. Klass Kote saye it can be thinned with there reducer or any good laquer thinner that thins epoxy.  It can be thinned to even more than 50/50 and still be 100% fuel proof using 50% plus nitro or as Dave Platt says " rubbed with a rag hard soaked in nitro" and no ill effects. I plan on using Powermaster 20/20 fuel. y1 <= Ron.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Two part epoxy paint
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
Help!!!!! does anyone have an opinion or used Klass Kote epoxy paint?

Try http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1277.0

I was very happy with the paint, I will be using it from now on.

Brett

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »
Help!!!!! does anyone have an opinion or used Klass Kote epoxy paint? I want to try some but i have no experience with epoxy paint. I want to start using it only to fuel proof, then later to airbrush color. Klass Kote saye it can be thinned with there reducer or any good laquer thinner that thins epoxy.  It can be thinned to even more than 50/50 and still be 100% fuel proof using 50% plus nitro or as Dave Platt says " rubbed with a rag hard soaked in nitro" and no ill effects. I plan on using Powermaster 20/20 fuel. y1 <= Ron.

I just started using the stuff on my last couple of projects and will never, EVER use anything else again. The stuff is fabulous.  <=  It has taken me years to find a decent replacement for K&B Superpoxy and Klasskote fits the bill.

If you've watched the Dave Platt DVD, you will know Klasskote is super fuel proof and super easy to mix and use.

I have learned a little goes a long way. It covers very well and its opacity (is that a real word?) is good enough you only need one coat.

I should also mention that their service is great. Order on the web site and see the product in a few days.

I could go on, but it would sound like they are paying me to say these nice things. Oh yes, the spousal unit loves the NO bad smell.  #^

Enjoy,

Ron

EDIT: there is some odor, but it's not bad.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:27:47 PM by Ron King »
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
 y1WOW, didn,t know it is oderless, my wife is going to love again!!!!!!!! Ron

kvarley

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:31:07 PM »
In the past while flying Pattern I used a lot of epoxy by Petit and K & B . I really like the durability and hiding ability . Now that I am in Stunt ,the question automatically arises ....Can you plasticize the Klass Kote enough to use it on open bay wings and  polyspan or silkspan ?   THat is one nice feature of Butyrate  dope . Any experience out there??? Keith Varley

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
In the past while flying Pattern I used a lot of epoxy by Petit and K & B . I really like the durability and hiding ability . Now that I am in Stunt ,the question automatically arises ....Can you plasticize the Klass Kote enough to use it on open bay wings and  polyspan or silkspan ?   THat is one nice feature of Butyrate  dope . Any experience out there??? Keith Varley

Funny you should ask that question. I crashed my good plane a few weeks ago and will be repairing the wing over the winter. But as I was priming the stab on the new bird, I realized I could use some of the extra paint on the old (open bay) wing as a test to see how it works. I'll post some pix for you to see.

Obviously, the epoxy paint will not shrink the covering, but it doesn't loosen it up, either. The results look good so far. The surface is still smooth and tight from the underlying butyrate. The epoxy primer goes on without any problem and covers like gangbusters. I'll let you know more as I progress with the test. I'll sand this primer coat, then shoot some color on it and see how it looks.

FWIW, I prefer foam wings and/or fully sheeted surfaces - but I sure would like to build my Umland Cobra I-beam kit someday.  <=

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:53:27 PM »
y1WOW, didn,t know it is oderless, my wife is going to love again!!!!!!!! Ron

Mine sure wasn't odorless. It probably wasn't as stinky as dope, and definitely different, has a pretty high solvent content once you spray it, and it has a very significant, and not at all nice, odor.

Brett

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:12 AM »
Ron King.... how do I get the Dave Platt DVD on Klass Kote ?...I want to try this stuff too! Thanks,
Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:34:07 AM »
Ron King.... how do I get the Dave Platt DVD on Klass Kote ?...I want to try this stuff too! Thanks,
Geno

Try "www.daveplattmodels.com".

Dave has produced a whole series of DVDs showing the various construction and finishing techniques for scale models. Of course, the whole system is applicable to any model. He has two that are specific to mixing colors and using Klasskote paints.

Nice guy. Tell him I sent you.  <=

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »
Ron, Thanks for Dave's e-mail. Iam going to order some DVD's on painting. Thanks again. Brett, i guess oderless was to much to hope for, guess wife will be mad!!!!!! Thanks all help appreciated. y1 <= #^ Ron.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
Ron, Thanks for Dave's e-mail. Iam going to order some DVD's on painting. Thanks again. Brett, i guess oderless was to much to hope for, guess wife will be mad!!!!!! Thanks all help appreciated. y1 <= #^ Ron.

Ron, Brett et al,

I guess I shouldn't have said "odorless". I should have said "odor not bad".

There is an odor, but it isn't as bad as the "Toni home permanent" smell of Hobbypoxy and it sure didn't permeate the house like the smell of butyrate dope.

The spousal unit (with the bionic nose) didn't object to Klasskote. She made me spend a few thousand dollars to seal up a section of the basement when I started spraying dope - and she claimed she could still smell it throughout the house.  ''

Take care,

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 08:35:22 PM »

There is an odor, but it isn't as bad as the "Toni home permanent" smell of Hobbypoxy and it sure didn't permeate the house like the smell of butyrate dope.

I guess it's in the nose of the besmeller. I actually think it's smellier, and more obnoxious a smell, than dope, and very similar to Hobbypoxy. I don't even think I *can* smell dope anymore, the receptors are all burned away.

Brett

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:42:35 AM »
   I guess it's in the nose of the besmeller. I actually think it's smellier, and more obnoxious a smell, than dope, and very similar to Hobbypoxy. I don't even think I *can* smell dope anymore, the receptors are all burned away.

Brett

We may think it's a bad smell, but women have no trouble with anything that smells like a hair care product. The guy who developed Hobbypoxy must have been a marketing genius. That stuff smelled like a home permanent kit and my mother never complained.   **)

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 08:32:36 AM »
I have ordered the paint and my airbrush waits. #^ if it smells,  '' i will just keep spraying. I am odering a Dave Platt DVD today on KlassKote. Ron i will tell Dave you sent me. Ron.  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here