News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tricycle Wheels on a Foam wing  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tricycle Wheels on a Foam wing
« on: July 04, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
I have a Tom Dixon Vector 40 profile kit. We're thinking of finishing it in a sort of Blue Angel style.  Just curious if there's a way to mount wheel struts in a foam wing, and to be able to make it a Tricycle plane.  Just thinking.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tricycle Wheels on a Foam wing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »
Sure, you could do that. Go look at other conventional gear foam wingers. They will usually have some slots cut into the foam and lite-ply inserts (ribs, stub spars, etc.) installed. Look at the SIG Magnum, for example. With the tri-gear, you are just going to move these features back a ways.

Don't try to use too narrow a spacing between the main wheels. Things get tippy.

There was a thread here on the 'hanger about locating main gear for a nose-dragger layout. That would help you get your location worked out.

Have fun!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 05:48:02 PM »
How far along is the wing?  You can mount landing gear into a foam wing, you just have to build in hard points to do so.  Somewhere on the internet there's a set of pictures by Bob Hunt on building foam wings, he details his method for landing gear mounts which should work as well for trike gear as for conventional.  In fact, if you want to be tricky, you can mount the landing gear hard point right on your desired center of gravity, and either angle the legs forward for a conventional gear, or backwards for a trike gear.

This will be less added work if you're looking at a set of cores and haven't put the wings together yet -- a lot more if you need to hack them up and retrofit something in.

For the nose gear, I've done this successfully, twice.  Basically, leave out the 1/2" balsa below the bottom motor mount beam, from the nose to about four inches back.  When you put the doublers on the nose you'll end up with a deep pocket.  Then mount your front landing gear to that motor mount beam.  I've done this on two planes -- one has well over 500 landings on it (perhaps 1000), mostly on rough grass.  The other is scale so I had to mount a stub block to get the geometry right.  It's also fresh out of the shop, so it's only had one flight, but that wasn't cut short because of landing gear issues.

The technique I use does require a little block with a slot milled into it to hold the front of the gear in, held in place with 2-56 screws and blind nuts.  I machine these from aluminum, but you can probably build one up out of plywood instead -- it's really just there as a locator; all of the landing loads on the wire bear on the engine mount.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »
For the profile Genesis I put the main gear on a line 15 degrees back from the center of gravity -- basically, it's the same rule of thumb as for conventional gear, only backwards.

You want the plane to sit positively on the wheels, yet still be happy to rotate on takeoff.  I found on mine that with the fuel tank empty, it would just barely stay sitting on the tail if you pushed it down, but would stay firmly on all three wheels if it wasn't upset.

If you haven't flown a trike gear plane before, you need to pay attention on landing.  If you come in a bit nose-down, you'll bounce off of the nose gear.  You won't get 40 points for each landing.  However, once you do get it down you can absolutely slam down elevator on the thing and it'll stay stuck, without rotating the nose into the pavement.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 06:03:18 PM »
Hi Allen,Just above your post is tutorial on mounting LG in a foam wing. Hiding in plain sight?  LL~ D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 08:34:52 PM »
The wing is together but not mounted in the fuselage.

Ah, Ty.   I didn't have my glasses on. 

Thanks for everything so far.  It's still a dream because it's actually a Vector 40 which may get a Blue Angel color scheme.  We'll see.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here