News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thundergazer Electric build  (Read 26541 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Thundergazer Electric build
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
hello friends
i am just about to finish the Thundergazer electric version for a friend, and would like to share the building process here
right now just needs the clear and hinging.
i have been professionally building model airplanes for the last 20 years in Brazil, focused on R/C Jets and Scale models, but i am a control line flyer, and my long time friend Rogerio asked me to build the TG for him, so he came with the fantastic RSM kit. Usually i don't build C/L for clients, but i know this guy since my 17´s, He's a really nice guy and a 100% dedicated pattern flyer. He's also championing electrics down here and developed a NICE timer for C/L use, so i couldn't say no to him.

The kit: awesome quality by RSM, the balsa is the best I've ever seen, nice plans, great package and value considering amount of wood that came in.
a few plywood parts came missing (no problem, i have plenty scrap at workshop), plans would benefit of more details on cowl and tail end or even better, manual/pictures. wood selection is on ultra light and soft stock, and i think some harder balsa would be better for some parts (will deal with that along building description) and finally due to local Brazilian shortage of materials, the carbon fiber and Carbon veil requested could be added on the kit, although the price would raise a lot. this is not putting kit down, just a foreign view of the kit.

the Project : Mr Fitzgerald design is really awesome,looks gorgeous, use of materials and clever design to make things light and strong

Deviations : i was requested to use Yatsenko´s metal bellcrank instead of supplied carbon fiber unit, removable titanium landing gear and choose to modify the cowl to my own design, since the plan don't show it clearly, and we moved to electric Powerplant, so we can play with nose design too.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:36:53 AM by fred cesquim »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thundergazer Electric build
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:06 AM »
Can you post some pics?

I would love to see your craftsmanship.

Thanks
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »
first thing with this kit : study VERY  carefully the plan, there is lots information written here and there, you i´ts easy to skip vital steps, like adding carbon fiber strip lammination to the tail LE and TE.
i choose to laminate and sand the LE/TE before construction, because the structure it´s too fragile to be handled and sanded properly later, and instead of an airfoil section sanded freehand, i opted to do it flat and tapered towards tips. No way i could sand perfect airfoil shape identical on the four sides and i belive is better to have a straight and true surface than a assimetrical one

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »
fuse sides glued together
have made a curved support to assure fuse side lamination of carbon veil and plywood doubler curvature symmetrical both sides
carbon veil glued with finish resin

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »
Great thread. I have this kit so, I'm glad to see how it's built.

MM

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Beautiful build fred!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
Subscribing. Fred-
You might find the attached PDF from Mark Drela (sailplane guru) useful for sanding.
Thanks for the pics! H^^

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »
Subscribing. Fred-
You might find the attached PDF from Mark Drela (sailplane guru) useful for sanding.
Thanks for the pics! H^^

R,
Chris

Wowzers!!! Thats really cool!! Thanks Chris

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
Welcome, of course.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
Subscribing. Fred-
Thanks for the pics! H^^

R,
Chris
thanks a lot Chris, indeed is a great tutorial, i do use similar methods, but this tail structure is too flimsy to be held and sanded properly.
i would rather liked to build a laser cut airfoiled structure, sheet while on the bench and then flip and sheet the other side, like a wing.
but maybe i am just to concerned or lazy to do that lol (hopefully Rogerio don't read this )

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
OK, now comes the Fuselage
have sanded both mount supports to the nose curvature and cut a fair amount of rear part to save weight, as electric engines vibration is minimal,we don't need such a beefy lumber here.
building is straightforward until you have to do the bottom sheeting.
this must be done with the fuse firmly attached to the bench
you sheet a 1/32 balsa over the fuse and the worst part here is to trim perfectly before gluing and to keep it straight while gluing
to help bendind the sheet i used Windex or similar
metal rods are butted to the sheet and hold with tape to keep the thin sheet from distorting and contacting all the formers perfectly
the goal here is to make a butt joint of 1/32 sheet with the 1/8 fuse side and still leave a perfect lip for the next 1/16 sheeting. this is the tricky part indeed
next came carbon veil sandwich glued with finish resin and the top 1/16 sheet. i glued both at the same time, so the finish resin bonded both balsa layers.
sounds easy but it's not!end result is awesome, really strong and a beautiful radios bottom fuse, that if was made with balsa blocks would cost lots sanding and  and hard to achieve, plus weight.
as you can see i left the wing belly part off this process for now (more on that later)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
I like the way you did the cooling holes on the top of the nose of the fuse. Are those fiber glass? Can't wait to see it done.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »
I like the way you did the cooling holes on the top of the nose of the fuse. Are those fiber glass? Can't wait to see it done.

Cheers, Jerry
thanks Jerry!
they are arrow shaft push rod tube lef overs from Dave Brown

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
just a preview of the nose, prior to India Ink

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
Hyperion motor?
Looks like it could be...
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 05:43:30 AM »
Hyperion motor?
Looks like it could be...

Yes Chris  Hyperion HP-Z3025-10

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
now the real fun begins!
THE WING: OK, at first the rib pattern may look a bit intimidating, but it's easy once you properly support the longerons.
main spar is accomplished with 2 really soft balsa 3/32 strips and a carbon fiber strip between them. too tricky to accomplish without distorting the final spar, and too soft to my peace of mind.i decided to epoxy the Dave brown carbon fiber strip between 2 harder 1/8 balsa, and then trim straight and cut in 2, saving cost and finishing with a straight spar and less flexible, weight gain was minimal. Don't forget to sand the carbon strip prior to gluing!
as Rogerio bought the Yatsenko´s landing gear, new half ribs where done using side view of the plan to align the new legs, no big deal.
plan asks for a full rolled over molded sheeting and no LE spar.
again, i deviated for 2 reasons> i wanted a LE support to rest the ribs and thought the LE would be too fragile without a minimum spar, so i used the left over original spar material and made cuts at ribs LE to fit them.
my wing Gig was borrowed from Rogerio, it's a nice aluminum device he assembled after Martin's (stunthobby.com.br owner) drawings.
i have clamped LE and TE and then it's just matter of adding ribs and squaring them while gluing
hope the pictures are better than my explanation.
it's a beautiful wing and indeed fun to build!

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
How can i move this topic to the building forum?
i think i have posted on the wrong section (open forum)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
How can i move this topic to the building forum?
i think i have posted on the wrong section (open forum)

Send a pm to the moderator of this forum, or the owner of the forum, Robert S.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
What glue did you use to glue the carbon fiber in the spar?

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
Epoxy Motorman, just scuffed the CF with 150 grit sandpaper and epoxied under pressure of weights

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 03:31:36 AM »
next came sheeting. i have butt glued the 1/16 sheet to the remaining balsa lip of the new added leading edge, then rolled over the ribs avoiding to cap the full leading edge freehand and maybe inducing warps, plus, i have more time to glue one side at time and a slight stiffer l/e.
bellcrank is another Yatsenko´s unit.
for the wigtip i have made some supports to make a good contour at the l/e transition and made it a bit less fragile
after sanding the LE to shape, i was really worried that the wood was absolutely soft and prone to dings easily, so i took it off and replaced with light but stiffer wood

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »
And then problems started! as i have said, my last control line model was ages ago, as you can see, i first passed the stranded cable through the bellcrank without the copper bushing and sheeted the center section. Upon talking with Rogerio, he said, please bush it or will brake!, ok, there it goes the sheeting and some surgery done to make the bushings. a week later, after new sheeting added to the center section, i found the unit is stuck, really hard to move! there it goescenter sheeting again LOL... i have used acid instead of flux to solder the bellcrank shaft to the washers and corrosion stuck everything. More surgery, grease added to the bush and new soldering and another last sheeting.OK, my bad, primary errors, but who never failed?i will never fail on that again for sure!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
Fred, we all can see that you are a wonderfully skilled craftsman. There are lots of people here on SH that will be happy to help you. I'm a newer C/L guy myself, so these folks have saved me many times.
Please ask anyone if you are not certain and someone will help you out before execution of the building step.
We are all enjoying your great build show.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 03:35:43 PM »
Fred, we all can see that you are a wonderfully skilled craftsman. There are lots of people here on SH that will be happy to help you. I'm a newer C/L guy myself, so these folks have saved me many times.
Please ask anyone if you are not certain and someone will help you out before execution of the building step.
We are all enjoying your great build show.
hello Chris! thanks a lot for the kind words! indeed from time to time i checked here for advice, but these 2 mistakes are so basic that i would be ashamed to tell!
just lack on attention indeed
plane is about to have clear cote, so o will follow here with building log!

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
fuse to wing attachment:
blocked fuse to the table and attached the wing, squaring everything as usuall.
after fastening the wing with the bolts, made the turtledeck and front hatch lamination with all attached to avoid fuse twists.
wing belly was added this time, to be perfect aligned with the fuse sides
tail: stab was attached with 4 bolts and a saddle and incidence was checked with 2 Robart incidence meters ( ok, overkill to have 2, but try to rig a scale bipe with only one!) wing has zero incidence, stab 1 degree as per the plans.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
wing saddle made with 1/64 ply, balsa strips and super fill by brodak (first time i have used this stuff, and realy liked!)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Another way of doing things and it looks great.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
Another way of doing things and it looks great.
thanks John, i usually go for the normal routine, but as i spend so much of last years on r/c only building, here and there i used a new approach, not necessarily better, but hopefully with same results

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
the cowl: OK, here's a few of the "grey" areas of the plans, just a side view and parts...none of them seems to match properly the full rounded fuse bottom unless we use a lot of blocks (not supplied) and lots sanding too. i have seem some TG cowls more to the square style and moving towards a full round at the back to match the fuse, making an odd look (to my like).
as this one have no pipe running through the belly neither a cylinder head protruding, i choose to make a more streamlined cowl deviating from the side view.
only trial and error and the old planking method with 1/32 balsa and a lot of guessing was needed.
intake grill was thought with a vintage style.Cowl acess for electrics must be of easy opening, so no bolts are allowed, instead i used a spring hatch latch ( jet builders use them all the time). Fuse facing was lined with 1/32 ply to avoid nicks and keep it straight. some superfill was used to blend everything and to blend nose to the spinner.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Never thought of the spring latch for use on a control plane, but I don't fly electric and seldom need to remove the cowl.  I like it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »
i think that for glow it's not enough, due to vibration...maybe using 2 would be perfect...anyway, it's easier to install then countersunk bolts

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
tail : another hard to accomplish area. Fin is a very flimsy open structure, and i opted to sheet it with 1/64 balsa in order to paint it. Just sanded 1/16 of the structure and sheeted.
the tail unit is a handfull to be built due to the narrow section to sheet with the lamination of carbon and 1/16 - 1/64 balsa.
next everything was sanded, doped and sylkspan  used for fuselage, tail parts, flaps and belly pan.
2 primer pack, bit of sanding, almost no filler added as i have blended most of the wood to wood finish with super fill

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Fred,

Great build!  H^^

Gotta tell ya, "PLANKING" is definately a way to skin a cat.  LL~
How did you know about planking?

Have you been in my Mig-3 Thread?  LL~

Fred, your avatar, looks like a Smoothie? Do you have photos of it, I'd like to see that model close up.

Looks really nice what I can see.

Again, great build!  H^^

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:32 AM »
hi Charles! thanks a lot man!
will look for the MIG here, after all i am a scale builder by heart!
the first time i have "planked" a plane, if this is the right word, was a NAT6 awful control line kit, back in 1987, indeed my third kit!it's a very strong method and nothing beats for compound curved models
the avatar is my De Bolt Continental, cut from plans, i have entered last year Brazilian Naftalina meeting and won first prize on control line category, this meeting is for planes prior to 1980 ( R/C, C/L & FF)
this year i missed the mark due to model finishing delay...
follow some pics of the Continental, indeed a lovely looking plane but no good flier at all. Max 20 for power and slc/silkspan covering

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Nice work Fred!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
Fred:

Absolutely awesome build!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and especially for all of the pictures of the various steps in the building process. So very many of us are "visual learners" so pictures along with written descriptions are most helpful.

Would you have any objection to me copying the pictures along with the written description of the various steps and posting it on my web site in the "Building Guides" section? If I can do this it will help many folks who purchase the kit and answer many of the questions they may have. Please drop me an e note at eric@rsmdistribution.com as I assure you that I will do this only with your permission.

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Hi Fred
Very nice work indeed, I like the spring clip for holding and releasing the cowl. Sometimes it may come in handy if you need to remove a battery in a hurry!
I would like more details on your motor mount design, even a rough drawing would help and what material is used?
Thanks Mike

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
Fred:

Absolutely awesome build!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and especially for all of the pictures of the various steps in the building process. So very many of us are "visual learners" so pictures along with written descriptions are most helpful.

Would you have any objection to me copying the pictures along with the written description of the various steps and posting it on my web site in the "Building Guides" section? If I can do this it will help many folks who purchase the kit and answer many of the questions they may have. Please drop me an e note at eric@rsmdistribution.com as I assure you that I will do this only with your permission.
hello Eric! very nice to meet you, and yes, i would love and be honored to have my pictures and building notes added to your store! will email you ok? thanks a lot for the kind words and congratulations for such outstanding kits!

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Hi Fred
Very nice work indeed, I like the spring clip for holding and releasing the cowl. Sometimes it may come in handy if you need to remove a battery in a hurry!
I would like more details on your motor mount design, even a rough drawing would help and what material is used?
Thanks Mike
thanks a lot Mike!
Rogerio, the plane owner machined the mont, BTW a great finish indeed! he will be invited to add the information here regarding the powerplant specs and mounting as well!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
Building the wing in the kit is allot different if you don't add the leading edge.

MM

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
hi Mike
Usually preserve the traditional amounts, use profile machined aluminum Photo equal.
Engine: HP-Z3025-10 Hyperion - 775kV - 1150W
ESC: Castle Creation 50 Edge Lite
Timer: C / L timer by Fiorotti - Active accelerometer
Prop: 12X5N - Igor Burger

Rogerio

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
i forgot to mention about the flaps: i choose to oracover the wing, but the flaps are too soft and would twist in flight, so i have opted to silkspan and paint them.
added a 1/8 ply cap to stiffen the horn end and 3 lamination each side of carbon veil with finish resin on the 2" over the horns.
on the wingtips i have added a brace following the spar line to help support it and made a small leading edge block to get a better look and anchor the oracover more smooth
next transparent blue oracover was used

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:19 AM »
Building the wing in the kit is allot different if you don't add the leading edge.

MM
yes, for sure! i would have made a spar support and LE support to achieve that, but i am really pleased with this new approach and extra weight is just what and 1/32 x 1/32 strip that was added to the leading edge. This seems to me less work than to mold the LE sheeting and glue it "on air"
but sure the kit method can be accomplished as well

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 03:09:13 AM »
finishing: fuselage and tail was silkspan covered, and 2 part primer added. little or no filler was needed.
had a lot of trouble with the paint over oracover. i skip sanding it slightly and had adhesion problems and lift a lot of the white when unmasking the checker pattern, so i had to wipe off all of the wing white, scuff oracover with 2000 grit and paint it again.
pain is automotive lacquer.
panel lines drawn (i prefer to mix b&W and use grey) as they will be more subtle and will show off either over light or dark colors.
now the clear coat....

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
Wow Fred, just wow.
What a beautiful job you've done!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »
thanks a lot Chris!
right now i am gluing hinges, clear is ready, as soon as the weather gets better i´ll post some pics of the finished painting, after the clear the panel lines REALLY stand out!
best regards
Fred

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:33 PM »
Fred,

Really nice job.  H^^

Looks as though tou used a blue pen on the blue and gray or black on the white?

Or is it just the photo.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
Great craftsmanship. Good job!
AMA 12366

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
finishing: fuselage and tail was silkspan covered, and 2 part primer added. little or no filler was needed.
had a lot of trouble with the paint over oracover. i skip sanding it slightly and had adhesion problems and lift a lot of the white when unmasking the checker pattern, so i had to wipe off all of the wing white, scuff oracover with 2000 grit and paint it again.
pain is automotive lacquer.
panel lines drawn (i prefer to mix b&W and use grey) as they will be more subtle and will show off either over light or dark colors.
now the clear coat....

That is a really nice building sequence. The motor mounting system that you are using looks like it is adjustable. I like that!
Beautiful ship, well done! y1

Cheers, Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here