News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinning two part epoxy  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Thinning two part epoxy
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:16 PM »
Any body try thinning two part epoxy (TAP premium marine grade 413 resin 143hardner) ? I am getting ready to glass reinforce the nose and wing joint and would like to try thinner mix of epoxy . I have heard that it helps to heat it with a hair dryer but I was hoping to try the thinning route. the guy a the TAP plastics place where this stuff was purchased seemed to have no working knowledge of this stuff.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Thinning two part epoxy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
Either Acetone or Lacquer Thinner will work. You will suffer a roughly proportional decrease in the strength of the epoxy for each bit of thinner added; i.e., adding 25% thinner will cost about 25% of the strength of the epoxy.

Another approach you might consider is to heat the area to be epoxied rather than the epoxy itself. This will allow pretty good flowout without shortening "pot life". Use a Monokote Gun, or Hair Dryer.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »
Any body try thinning two part epoxy (TAP premium marine grade 413 resin 143hardner) ? I am getting ready to glass reinforce the nose and wing joint and would like to try thinner mix of epoxy . I have heard that it helps to heat it with a hair dryer but I was hoping to try the thinning route. the guy a the TAP plastics place where this stuff was purchased seemed to have no working knowledge of this stuff.

Gorden,

You might have better result by using an epoxy formulated for the application you have in mind.   As with most materials a purpose manufactured material seems to give better results.

I used to use Z-Poxy for finishing jobs it worked great but was pretty pricey.  On a visit to one of my LHShops I discovered a product labled "FINISH-CURE EPOXY."  Although labled with the LHS name it is really manufactured by Bob Smith Industries in California.  Here is a link to BSI's web site:

The bottles, part A and B, are 13 oz. each and labled 20 min.  this is the working time, as you will have to wait 8 hours be for sanding.  I paid 13.99 plus tax and thought it worth the price.

Follow the directions on the bottle and you can't go wrong with the product.

I got a chuckle when reading the directions.  Here is a partial quote:

"3.  Remove caps and snip off very end of nozzle.  Squeeze equal amounts of 20-min. resin and hardener onto clean disagreeable surface or container ......"

I couldn't find any clean disagreeable container but was not surprised to find one of those small clean ketchup cups purloined from my local burger shop worked pretty well.   **)
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »
Either Acetone or Lacquer Thinner will work. You will suffer a roughly proportional decrease in the strength of the epoxy for each bit of thinner added; i.e., adding 25% thinner will cost about 25% of the strength of the epoxy.

Another approach you might consider is to heat the area to be epoxied rather than the epoxy itself. This will allow pretty good flowout without shortening "pot life". Use a Monokote Gun, or Hair Dryer.

DSI, the same manufacturer mentioned in my other post recommends using 99% isopropel alcohol to thin epoxy.  If you use acetone or lacquer thinner it can also attack plastic surfaces.

They say their Finish Cure Resin can be thinned enough to be sprayed on.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
Thanks guys for the response . I was also told locally that denatured alcohol sold at home depot will work well also as long as it is kept free of water.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the response . I was also told locally that denatured alcohol sold at home depot will work well also as long as it is kept free of water.

Sorry in my first post I thought I gave the URL.  Here it is:

http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/epoxies.html

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:22:59 PM »
Use "Shellac Thinner" from the hardware/paint store, which is denatured alcohol. It won't have water in it. Lay the 'glass on the model, cut as required for "pie cuts" etc., and flow on the epoxy. :D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:07:54 AM »
I have used Rubbing alchol my self, You have to stir it in a lot
T

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 10:37:59 PM »
Isopropyl & Rubbing Alcohol are the same thing.

I use the 91 % to thin epoxy. Never a problem.

If you use the 70% it will be rubbery when it cures. Hard to sand.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 12:21:33 AM »
Ty, to your #8:-

Locally, in a small town in way-Southern Arizona, 91% AND 99% isopropyl alcohol are available from local drug stores, occasionally.

Prices are inversely according to water content, so bring green...

...and, read the labels!

\BEST\LOU

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 05:29:29 PM »
Z-poxy has acetone or a similar solvent in it.  It melts styrofoam.  Ask me how I know.  Goriila glue and other urethanes do to, especially if you don't give it 10-15 minutes to dry before sealing the joint.  If fresh glue is trapped agains the foam it will melt it.
phil Cartier

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »
Two part rod finishing epoxy might be an answer if a relatively thin epoxy is needed.  It spreads about like paint and is very durable. It does require about 24 hours to dry thoroughly which could be a problem for some uses.

Cabela's carries it.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here