News:

• May 18, 2024, 04:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The new Ephesian twin boomer  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
The new Ephesian twin boomer
« on: January 09, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
Ooooooooooookay - here it is in the raw.  This is the new Ephesian in the first coat of grey.  Having MK'd my last four ships I had forgotten how horrible the first coat of grey could make one look!  Glad it most all gets sanded off!
This is nearly an exact copy of the number one Ephesian from the mid 90's (Jan/Feb Stunt News '95, page 26) with a couple of changes.  The rear moment I increased from 16" to 18 1/4", made the stab/elevator ratio a bit different and added droop wingtips.  The droop tips were proven to reduce tip stall on full scale ships in the 70's and we put them on our Tri-Pacer which reduced the takeoff run by a good hundred feet, lowered the stall speed by nearly 4 knots and increased cruise at 75% by 5 knots.  I've always wanted to try them on a stunter as I tend to bang the corners a bit hard a lot of times and maybe this will help reduce the tip stall by dumbing down my hand's effect!
Power will be my PA75 with my own pipe with the exhaust exiting the rear tube of the main fuse.
The original flew well with a Tom Lay 46VF so this one should be capable of 5.8 second laps with the 75!  A good speed for old, slow hands!
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: The new Ephesian twin boomer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
That looks like one sweet ride!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
WOW!!!!   H^^  CLP**  BW@  %^

What an AWESOME project. Really looking forward to seeing this one.  That enter pod with the pipe exit and fin... how cool is that???

Fins on the top & bottom of the booms. finson the wing tip, fins on the center pod.  Do you drive a 1959 Coupe De Ville?  ???

I think I have fin envy  ;D
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
Thanks Robert & Dennis, and no, Denny, (not Bigiron) I don't have the Caddy, but I wish I had my '57 Chevy ragtop back!  It had fins too, ya know.
I did a duh and neglected to put the aerodynamics info on the post, so here goes; wing area is 715 sq's, span is 63" airfoil is 20% and projected weight is in the mid to high 60 ounce range.  The original was 72 ounces and flew well but at 5.4 second laps.
The wing is from Crist Rigotti and is gorgeous.
Blessings,
Will

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Will,

Well, it's finally happened. Someone has joined me in the "over the top and out of control" club. Glad to have you as a member. This is an awesome entry to persuade other club members to let you in. With this ship, trust me, you're in.

Very cool. So what, radioactive purple for color?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:26:36 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »
Thanks Randy,
I'm honored to be a member, but can I stop at the top for the overhead eight before I continue over the top to the other side?
Hmmmm, purple, hadn't considered that.  I've wrestled with colors for a while now - the original was white with flourescent green, yellow, and red trim, so I need to vary from that a bit.  I tried some yellow anlyine dye in some white dope yesterday and got a very pale yellow that I sorta like for a background to the royal blue, green and bright yellow trim I've had in mind.  But purple - hmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Gotta think about that one!  Could be.  Any other suggestions anyone?
Remember, it's a big ship.
Blessings,
Will

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
Will,

My fashion consultant tells me not to do red with purple. I don't know. For something like this, I'd probably consider something like black with electric blue and purple. Maybe some variations on that theme. I think white base color may be to pedestrian. Maybe that pale yellow for a base with varying shades of cold colors for trim: blues and purples. Hmmm... Could be cool. I'd suggest metallics, but it depends on the projected weight (metallics and flakes can be heavy).

Either that or go with something like red, black and silver. It's an aggressive looking plane. It needs an aggressive colors and scheme.

Just thinking out loud here. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be cool.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »
I think most of us are at the age where having red and purple together is no big deal!  The girls have made a big fun deal of it!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
I really don't think Donna would let me take a red & purple ship out through her kitchen! mw~
But Randy, you reinforced my thinking on the trim color choices.  I still haven't settled on the base color, but I agree, white is out.  I've had plenty of white airplanes and this needs a change simply because of the size and trim choices.  The original was white, but had those "urban camoflage" trim colors.  You know, flourescents.   j1
I have the royal blue on hand already, and am lookinf at a really bright green for next to that, but the third choice is still "up in the air".  Yea, I know, the pun is the lowest form of American humor - but I can't resist! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
By the way, that's an awesome looking LG mold on another post!  (CF molding)  If I can make this airplane look half that good I'll be happy with it! #^
Blessings,
Will

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »
Hmmmmm - maybe in a full military scheme? ???

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
 #^  How about adapting the Navies "Blue Angel" trim scheme. I've found that it 'SHOWS" real well. It would look outstanding on your twin boomer.  y1
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
Brother Will,

The ship looks great, as usual! y1

Remembering the F-9-F, you ARE familiar with the Blue Angels Paint scheme, and like John says, it does present well.

My take on it........ Purple is a "Royal" color, and gold trim looks fantastic with it, IMHO.  There is a color we refer to as *Burple* (a darker metallic purple that is *almost* blue) which would look freaky with the Blue Angels trim done in gold!  Harken back to your NAVY Airdale days! An accurate scale presentation? NO!  But I believe it would absolutely knock the socks off anyone who sees it!

Not absolutely sure exactly the name of the color, but The #97 Taurus in NASCAR from '05 had this paint scheme at the Shoot Out in Daytona.  It was a Martin Senoir or Sherwin Williams color.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts guys - you are all giving me so many good ideas the thing may have one scheme from outside the circle and another from the inside!  There are so many good ways to go here! y1 y1 y1

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »
Will,

With some planes, I know what the paint scheme and colors will be when I'm drawing it on the paper. I just know. Other's, it's not until I'm actually putting on tape that a scheme comes to me. Just depends.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
With you there Randy, I have done some paint jobs that I had all planned out totally down to color sketchs and when I started laying tape I didnt "feel" it, so they got changed. Its an emotional thing doncha know?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
 Nice plane!

My vote on the scheme is Navy training, the all white with red-orange wingtips, fin etc. Oh yeah, panel lines and stenciling too. y1

Keep the photos coming please. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
I still think that if you're going with a military scheme, you should think about a test plane sort of layout. But that's me. Do whatever you feel. After all, it's your brainchild.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 07:59:49 AM »
Okay guys, after some soul searching on this I decided that the Blue Angels scheme is out simply because I have this new F-9-F that still is to be flown and trimmed.  I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for it because it came out so heavy, but I simply have to try this summer so will do it early on when I'm just getting back to the circle for the season.
Here's some pics of the beast.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:53 AM »
WOW!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
FRANK!!!!

Haven't heard from you in awhile.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »
Kool plane with the steath center pod and jet exhaust tail pipe. Someday I am Goind to build a small twin Boomer and call it a Baby Boomer. Har Har Har HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here