News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:07:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The New American elevator issue?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
The New American elevator issue?
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »
Well,

I was going to put the last coat of dope on the elevator of the New American, I was.

Low and behold, what was once "straight as an arrow" now has a distinct bow to it, .25" at least in the center.

The elevator has 6 or so coats of dope on both sides so it's sealed, can't understand why or what made it warp?

Steam? Make the thing over?

A setback. :'(

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: The New American elevator issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
I use a hand held hair dryer and get good results.  I aso use an electric cooking stove. Just have a finger or some part of your hand on the stove side of the elevator.  This will keep you from getting it too hot.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
It stayed straignt since it was built and doped, never had this arch. I also kept it on a flat surface.

If I straighten it, I'm wondering if I'll have repeated trouble with it again?

Easier to make one solid.

Jim, I have a hobby heat gun. I'll give it a shot.

Ty, do you do LGB?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
Laying flaps and elevators on a flat surface will make them bow. I put them in jigs that are inserted into the hinge slots and keep the parts standing up.

Derek

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
Laying flaps and elevators on a flat surface will make them bow. I put them in jigs that are inserted into the hinge slots and keep the parts standing up. Derek

Derek,

Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense.

However, once attached to the TE, I would think, this elevator would have bent anyway? Wrong conclusion?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
I put a piece of weight on that bowed elevator and the next day the bow was gone. Temporarely? Possibly?

I gave the elevator a coat of dope on both sides and it stayed straight. So far?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here