News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TEXACO 13 Wing Dihedral Angle?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
TEXACO 13 Wing Dihedral Angle?
« on: March 12, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
I'm trying to keep this TEXACO 13 as close to scale as possible. The model does have really close scale outlines, but the airfoil is symmetrical.

I'd like some Dihedral in the wing just so the model looks more correct.

How far can you push the envelope of Dihedral before you need the lines coming out of the fuselage? I don't mind if they do, but only if I have to.

The wing is 52" in span and I'd like to lift each tip 2" or a tad less.

Thanks in advance.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: TEXACO 13 Wing Dihedral Angle?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 04:43:02 PM »
Hello Charles,
I downloaded the plans from Outerzone for the, "Mistery Racer". That is how they spell it. From Aeromodelismo magazine. Basically the Travel Air Mystery Airship.

It has a 25" wingspan and calls for 14 mm of diehedral. So at 52" maybe 29 to 30mm?

If that is of any help?
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »
Also,
This site has a diehedral measurement for the Travel Air R, not sure if that applies.

It is measured at mid wing not tip but I guess if you put a ruler on it and scale it you can work it out.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/texaco-no-13/

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »
Hello Charles,
I downloaded the plans from Outerzone for the, "Mistery Racer". That is how they spell it. From Aeromodelismo magazine. Basically the Travel Air Mystery Airship.

It has a 25" wingspan and calls for 14 mm of diehedral. So at 52" maybe 29 to 30mm?

If that is of any help?
Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

The plans may be accurate?

The 3-view drawing I have is a fairly good one actually. Accurate? No way of knowing.

Same with model plans. Do the drawings have a front view?

Rubber powered?

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
Dihedral is optimum when the wingtip, and leadout position coincides with the center of lateral area (entire plane, not just the fuselage).  Unfortunately, that tends to make an unpleasant bend situation for the leadouts, which would be maximum at the wingtip.  I have successfully. designed and flown C/L with moderate dihedral (1 to 1 1/2" in 25-30" half-span .. -(Wildman 60, Yates MADMAN, etc)  Special attention should be given to wingtip leadout guide, cable, etc.  for minimum friction under load.

89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Also,
This site has a diehedral measurement for the Travel Air R, not sure if that applies.

It is measured at mid wing not tip but I guess if you put a ruler on it and scale it you can work it out.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/texaco-no-13/

Craig

I just took a look at that. I can draw that angle right on my screen, then compare it with what I have.

Thanks for that.

Charles
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:45:10 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
I traced the angle on Craig's drawing "link."

I also opened the TEXACO 13 file.

I drew the angle on my drawings and the two were exact! Give or take enough where it wouldn't matter. Remember I traced a small drawing. My drawing is much larger and I have a few different drawings that show the diehedral.

Here's the results, as the math program see's it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50:18 PM »
Dihedral is optimum when the wingtip, and leadout position coincides with the center of lateral area (entire plane, not just the fuselage).  Unfortunately, that tends to make an unpleasant bend situation for the leadouts, which would be maximum at the wingtip.  I have successfully. designed and flown C/L with moderate dihedral (1 to 1 1/2" in 25-30" half-span .. -(Wildman 60, Yates MADMAN, etc)  Special attention should be given to wingtip leadout guide, cable, etc.  for minimum friction under load.

Floyd,

Doesn't look like I'll be able to do the full 2.71" per side?

Possibly 1.75" or 2" at the most. Might as well just place the bellcrank in the fuselage? It's been done before. A removable gizmo on the tip for adjustment?

Thanks for that information.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:05:04 PM »
Hello Charles,
The plans I have are sport scale only, so no 3 view drawings. Like you, I will be completely changing the wing shape to hopefully make it stunt. I can dream. Ha.

You mention 2 inches, or more, of diehedral for both wings? At 52 inch wingspan that is approximately 1/7 scale? That being the case the real aircraft would have 14+ inches of diehedral. The 3 views on the web site I listed show 4 inches of diehedral at about 80% of wingspan. Giving it no more than 6 inches in total. Or, less than 1 inch per wing panel for the model.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Would not be the first time.

I think you listed, a couple of years ago, a large Hurricane with considerable diehedral. There was a video of it. From Italy? If not you someone. I have searched for it but can't find it. Maybe it was a link to another site. Looked sensational when it was inverted with the, "V", in the wings!!!

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:26:11 AM »
In general, in any scale project, you just need to make the dihedral look like you documentation.  The judges will just eyeball it not measure it.

Using the side view or front view, see where the wing tips are compared to the fuselage and put in that much dihedral.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
Hello Charles,
The plans I have are sport scale only, so no 3 view drawings. Like you, I will be completely changing the wing shape to hopefully make it stunt. I can dream. Ha.

You mention 2 inches, or more, of diehedral for both wings? At 52 inch wingspan that is approximately 1/7 scale? That being the case the real aircraft would have 14+ inches of diehedral. The 3 views on the web site I listed show 4 inches of diehedral at about 80% of wingspan. Giving it no more than 6 inches in total. Or, less than 1 inch per wing panel for the model.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Would not be the first time.

I think you listed, a couple of years ago, a large Hurricane with considerable diehedral. There was a video of it. From Italy? If not you someone. I have searched for it but can't find it. Maybe it was a link to another site. Looked sensational when it was inverted with the, "V", in the wings!!!

Craig

Craig,

Are you building one of these? Are you building the Mystery Ship? At what wingspan?

Yes, at 52 inch wingspan my model is approximately 1/7 scale? Your good!

That 80% is more like 75% which would make a difference at the tip. Also if you look closely the drawing seems to have the base line at the wing/fuselage intersect, my line actually extends to the wing center. And, I'll bet my wing thickness is greater than 1/7 scale, possibly? Modified Smoothie wing at 1.875" I think? 13.125" thick wing on the actual aircraft at the root? I'm not sure of that?

BTW, I expect this model to stunt. Originally drawn for an OS LA 46, now, because the model is going to be Electric, I've altered the fuselage construction and wood choice.

That 4" was measured possibly not from the bottom of the wing? Yes, I'm splitting hairs. I'm guessing the measurement is there because from that point forward the wing thickness tapers towards the tip.

My actual measurement is from the bottom of the wing to the airfoil center line at the tip. 2.71".

Possibly I should dig out and check my other drawings, but I'm guessing this wing drawing I did in my file was the result of my measuring efforts at the time I drew this. Some years ago actually.

I think Paul Smith is on track with the simple visual look. Like Paul said, just an "eyeball" will do because it won't be measured. And the model will be viewed on the ground. Eyeballing works for me.

I can see scale contests in the future if I live long enough.  n~

CB

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
Hello Charles,
I will be building the Travel Air, eventually.

I have to finish an Imitation, hopefully I will get to spray the clear later today, if the weather holds off. Then I have a Bob Palmer Hurricane kit I want to build.

After that will be the Mystery ship. I have just doubled the plans I have to give me 50 inch wingspan. It also means I get away with 48 inch wood! Mine will probably be based on the Imitation wing but scaled up on the trailing edge to mimic the Travel Air. I won't be tapering the leading edge as much as the real thing. I really only wanted the plans for an outline and the fuselage, tail section and cowl shape.

I was planning on an LA 46, if I am right I can get it inside the cowl at this size, just! I am having 4mm machined off a muffler to help with clearance. I will be moving the wing back an inch or 2 and further up towards the centre of the fuselage, increasing the stabiliser/elevator size. Thinking about it I think it may end up being a cartoon scale rather than sports scale. Ha!

Time will tell.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 08:55:59 AM »
Hello Charles,
I will be building the Travel Air, eventually.

I have to finish an Imitation, hopefully I will get to spray the clear later today, if the weather holds off. Then I have a Bob Palmer Hurricane kit I want to build.

After that will be the Mystery ship. I have just doubled the plans I have to give me 50 inch wingspan. It also means I get away with 48 inch wood! Mine will probably be based on the Imitation wing but scaled up on the trailing edge to mimic the Travel Air. I won't be tapering the leading edge as much as the real thing. I really only wanted the plans for an outline and the fuselage, tail section and cowl shape.

I was planning on an LA 46, if I am right I can get it inside the cowl at this size, just! I am having 4mm machined off a muffler to help with clearance. I will be moving the wing back an inch or 2 and further up towards the centre of the fuselage, increasing the stabiliser/elevator size. Thinking about it I think it may end up being a cartoon scale rather than sports scale. Ha!

Time will tell.
Craig

Travel Air,  they made a bunch of various aircraft. The "R" is the Mystery Ship.

Black and red. Really nice aircraft to model, even at semi-scale.

What is the diameter of your cowling?

CB

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
Hello Charles,
Yes I prefer the type "R".

I will be making the outside diameter of the cowl 165mm. Which will leave me an internal diameter of 155mm.

Assuming my measuring skills are correct, the LA46 plus E-3030 muffler is 78mm from the centre of the engine to the extremity of the muffler. I am having 4mm ground off the , "Lug", area, I don't know the correct name for it, where the screws go into the muffler. That brings me down to 74mm.

I have a 77.5mm radius to play with, though tight, should work okay? Thoughts?

What size are you making yours?
Craig

Ps. I know yours is electric, with the wing position of mine, it will interfere with the tank position unless I put the engine in upright. Are there any issues with LA46s in the upright position you are aware of? Anybody?
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
Hello Charles,
Yes I prefer the type "R".

I built an "R" type from a Fred Reese kit probably 30 years ago for R/C. Glass fuselage. Great kit, I had two kits. Fred was a great modeler and a wonderful person. I still think about Fred from time to time with this TEXACO 13 project.

I will be making the outside diameter of the cowl 165mm. Which will leave me an internal diameter of 155mm.

Wow! My cowling measures 7", your's is almost the same size?

Assuming my measuring skills are correct, the LA46 plus E-3030 muffler is 78mm from the centre of the engine to the extremity of the muffler. I am having 4mm ground off the , "Lug", area, I don't know the correct name for it, where the screws go into the muffler. That brings me down to 74mm.

"Flanges?" I'd go differently to not cut up the motor. I would have a custom tongue muffler made and have the holes on the end, not top or bottom. I had one made like this it's NIB. I could measure the thing. All the residue goes outside the cowling in the wind. Cleanup you gotta do but it won't be all that bad?

I have a 77.5mm radius to play with, though tight, should work okay? Thoughts?
What size are you making yours?

My 7" cowling is fiberglass. Left over from a Corsair daydream. You could go glass? Not cheap.  Do you know anyone who can weld aluminum? You could custom cut your muffler.

Craig

Ps. I know yours is electric, with the wing position of mine, it will interfere with the tank position unless I put the engine in upright. Are there any issues with LA46s in the upright position you are aware of? Anybody?

Could you run pressure or a pump? You can still buy pumps, I had a few and I believe I still have a Perry Pump NIB someplace.

I broke in a LA 46 in the upright position then mounted it sideways on a Pathfinder. Never had an issue with a run. I never liked that Pathfinder. Forgot who I gave it to, motor, tank and all.

What plans are you working from?

CB

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »
Hello Charles.
Interesting about Fred!

Regarding the cowl. A 52" wing compared to 50" wing is 3.8%. 7" compared to 165mm (6.49") is 7%! So, based on that, mine is too small?

I am trimming the muffler not the engine itself. The muffler has an 8.5mm flat area for the screws to go into. I am trimming this to 4.5mm (3/16"). I don't really want to have to remove the cowl after every trip to the field to clean it all out.

I really want to hand cut the cowl. I have a, "How To", from an RC site and it seems relatively straight forward. Gives me many fixing options.

Regarding the LA46 I can run pressure if I have to.

Is your landing gear going to be mounted into the wing through 1 main wire? Are you going to, "Fix", the back part of the landing gear into the wing or just bring it near. An illusion of being fixed, so to speak?

We only have great fields so mine will be fixed with 1 wire and not connected at the back.

Thank you for the response.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 09:26:55 PM »
Hello Charles,
I will be using the plans I have from Outerzone. I have already had them increased by 100% to give me a 50" wingspan.

I do think I will get myself a set of 3 views, just to see how far I am diverging from the original.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
Hello Charles.
Interesting about Fred!

Did you know Fred? Fred was on my free graphics list. Fred sold me two kits. They were his last two. I built and flew one, actually under powered with an OS 90. I never got a 120 for that model but when I did pick up an Enya 120, I never used it. Eventually sold.

Not sure where I advertised the unbuilt kit? A guy, there's always a guy, in Australia bought the kit. USPS had box size restrictions, so I had to cut the fiberglass fuselage in half. I placed a half in each box. Two stuffed boxes. Yes, one box arrived but the other didn't. The USPS did a trace and located it in Brazil. True. Took two more weeks for the second box to arrive in Australia! Absolutely a true story. When I think about it, I think I included my Mystery Ship book, which now I cannot find. Never give up the book.

I loose interest quick and don't like to accumulate, so the built model got sold. I sell them before they get banged up. The second kit I started and was part way into it when Fred moved to Nevada. I didn't know at that time Fred was ill. Fred passed on shortly after his relocation. What a loss.

Regarding the cowl. A 52" wing compared to 50" wing is 3.8%. 7" compared to 165mm (6.49") is 7%! So, based on that, mine is too small?

I generally scale the fuselage first so I can fit it to a fiberglass cowling. I wouldn't use the wingspan. Travel Air had a few wing sizes. The Gee Bee Z, there was no cowling available in the correct size at that time so I was forced to glass my own. The TEXACO 13 at just about 1/7 scale, has a 7" cowling. As I said, the cowling I'm using was a left over and hanging around. Perfect! So, that 7" is what determined the fuselage length.

Many times when you read specs on aircraft they include the spinner or prop hub in the length. So I'm close but not officially on the money. Probably + or - an inch, but correct outlines. I worked hard drawing the outlines because they had different bodies also. Hey! I scored a built Smoothie wing that works nicely. Minor changes at the tips was what it needed, the cord is incorrect so don't tell anyone.

I am trimming the muffler not the engine itself. The muffler has an 8.5mm flat area for the screws to go into. I am trimming this to 4.5mm (3/16"). I don't really want to have to remove the cowl after every trip to the field to clean it all out.

I really want to hand cut the cowl. I have a, "How To", from an RC site and it seems relatively straight forward. Gives me many fixing options.

Regarding the LA46 I can run pressure if I have to.

I would want fewer holes in the cowling also. Will you check on glass?

Is your landing gear going to be mounted into the wing through 1 main wire? Are you going to, "Fix", the back part of the landing gear into the wing or just bring it near. An illusion of being fixed, so to speak?

We only have great fields so mine will be fixed with 1 wire and not connected at the back.

My gear wire will resemble that of the actual aircraft. Spring loaded in the front with considerable movement on the wheel wire. I'm using 3/32 and possibly 1/8 only if I have to. And yes, the gear will have a forward and rear mount, 16 screws, just as I did with the GBR-3, and the Gee Bee Z. There's photos everywhere! Extra weight, probably, but the vertical CG could use a bit. I put up a drawing of the gear someplace?

Thank you for the response.
Craig

This is fun and healthy activity, over coffee.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
Craig,

Just a footnote to catch up.

That "link" to the drawing of the TEXACO 13. I believe that "4" on the drawing is degrees.

I could be wrong but I hardly am.   ;D   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

BTW I have the Travel Air Mystery Ship graphics but I don't have the TEXACO 13 graphics.

Hows your Mystery Ship coming along?

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »
Hello Charles,
Mystery Air Ship has been put on the back burner. I have been working on a Veco (copy) Palmer Hurricane and it is the worst kit I have seen!

Missing parts, incorrectly made and shaped parts, balsa cracking at the slightest touch. With no full size plans it has been a complete pain in the a...!

Then, I complicated things by adding some scale elements, nose blisters, exhaust, radiator intake and my version of a detailed cockpit. Took longer than assembling the miss matched parts!

Anyway, up to primer today so making progress. A 40inch simple stunner for me to practice with is next.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
Craig,

You should have been at my garage door give-away!  LL~

I'm assuming your cockpit has some 300 pieces in it and is as close to scale as one can get. Correct?

Old kit. What kind of shape is the decal sheet in?

You should do a build, I'll have a place to hang out.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
 Hello Charles,

"Old kit. What kind of shape is the decal sheet in?"
No decal sheet, horns with plastic uprights, formers all with different angles, as in way off. I was sweating on Brodaks to re open for a decal sheet, they have their version of Palmer Hurricane so I thought that was an easy fix so one is on the way now.
Unfortunately, USPS just tells me, "It is on the way to the final destination", wherever that is. It has left Chicago but not sure where in the US it gets on a plane.

"I'm assuming your cockpit has some 300 pieces in it and is as close to scale as one can get. Correct?"
Yeah pretty close, let me see. A seat, seat belts, clasp, joystick with a red firing button!! Some control handle in the pilots left hand, painted foot pedals you can't see. The wife hand painted an instrument panel for me. Ha ha ha...

My building is getting better but I used a wing jig on my last ringmaster and the wing still warped!!! So not sure I want that sort of scrutiny.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
Craig

You're a funny guy, that means you're happy, A good thing.  n~

Can you post photos and where can I see the scheme for your Palmer Hurricane?

Hurricane? We had a really big tornado here last week, Really bad for some people. Passed our property only 2K feet away. We are on a hilltop, the tornado was in the valley. Two days without power, I have a generator large enough for myself and my closest neighbor. No internet or TV for a full week. The reason I've been absentee in the Forum.

We didn't know TN had these things. We're thinking of moving back to FL for a cinder block house. Maybe Naples.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 05:54:08 AM »
Charles,
not sure about funny. I am over this Hurricane! Does that mean I have to change its name to a Cyclone? You know, you guys have Hurricanes, rotate in one direction, we have Cyclones, rotate in the other direction. That is funny ;D ;D ;D

We moved from Cairns to get away from the Cyclones, the heat and humidity too. Moved to Brisbane but my Mrs is a country girl and not that fond of Brisbane city living.

Colour scheme for the plane, see if you can guess. Two hints, the pilots name is Douglas, for very specific reasons and a picture gives it away.

Pictures as requested, be kind

Craig
Ps. Should be glued together tomorrow. Yay..
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 07:20:31 AM »
Craig,

Wow! Looks like you have things under control.

The panel, your wife's work?

Be nice if there was a Wizard's "wand," just touch the box and the model appears finished.

Thanks for the photos.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here