News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: taping the hinge line  (Read 620 times)

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
taping the hinge line
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Guys, I have to admit I'm not totally up to speed on this (& I hope I don't get chided for asking a dumb question),
would someone please post pictures of how to and/or tape/seal the hinge line both flap and elevator if different.
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Gene O'Keefe
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: taping the hinge line
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »
Okay Ty, How DID you discover it? :!
As to the taping process, I tape the bottom, as probably all others do, and when I apply the tape to the hinge line I deflect the surface all the way away from the joint, then apply the tape evenly and only between the hinges.  I like to make sure the tape is pressed all the way into the space between the surfaces in question by holding the edge of either side up and pressing along the hingeline with a tounge depressor and then press down the final edge.  Did I just confuse you all to pieces?   Z@@ZZZ Not very well said, but I think you can get it with a couple of tries. D>K
Good taping and good flying!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: taping the hinge line
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »
I have the perfect solution to the cold/cool times that cause problems - I don't fly!  I am the world champion/gold medalist cold weather wimp!!!   y1  And even more so since Arthur, one of the Itis boys, got acquainted with me.  These hands don't always like me anymore. D>K
Seriously Ty, I can see where the cooling effect would stiffen up the tape.  I've been doing an even different application on the last two tuned pipe stunters that may do away with that by MonoKoting the hinge lines.  I do it just like it was regular tape but use the iron instead of the tongue depressor.  I, again, haven't really flown in below 50 degree weather so can't attest to the possibility of the MK stiffening.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here