News:

• May 12, 2024, 12:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank installation ?  (Read 880 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tank installation ?
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
Hi ,

I'm getting ready to install the tank im my latest project .
The tank is nice and snug side to side in the fuse , but I have about 3/4" front and back and about 1/2" on the top and 1/2" from the top of the motor mounts to the tank .
Should I glue inshims at the bottom and screw a strap of some sort on the top of the tank , between the two bulkheads , fore and aft of the tank ?

Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
Re: Tank installation ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
I usually just use a little clear silicone to keep tanks in place.  Never seem to move except in figure 9s.  HB~>
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
What Lee said---------I clean the surface of the tank with alcohol and run 3 "light" beads of clear RTV across the flat gluing surface of the tank; pulls wood fibers out in a figure "9".  An additional couple of hard 1/4 " squares across the fuse to hold the tank in position should hold even in the figure "9".

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:29:43 AM »
But don't glue it down until you get it at the right height.

In full fuse ships, I make small light-ply "clips"  to go on each side of the fuse (inside).  At the rear, I permanently install a basswood beam across the tank compartment at a height such that the tank plus some foam and shimms can go under it--wedging in the back of the tank.  At the front, the small clips--a notch cut so that you can compress the foam and put another beam in across the tank.  The foam holds the tank up to the crutch and shims, and the compression keeps the beam seated in the clip.  Once the tank height is set, silicone in the removeable piece, and your done.  If the tank needs to move, then cut away the small silicone locks and push out the fron t beam. 

The tank can be removed without removeing the engine this way as long as the cowl alows it.

Sorry don't have any pictures.

Curt

"The best way to guarantee that a tank will leak is to permanently install it."

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
  What I have found works for me is to use the profile adjustable clips soldered to the tank end, (the end oppisite the engine) this way I can adjust the height and bolt it to the inside tank space.
   I put a cross piece of 1/8" plywood between the motor mounts, then drill my boly hole and anchor through the plywood...
   I hope that I didn't make this sound complicated... H^^ #^ #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here