News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Table / board flatness  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Paul Kobe

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Table / board flatness
« on: September 04, 2020, 09:17:19 PM »
Hi, I've seen a few comments on using glass, granite and other materials for a flat table for building.  What's an adequate table flatness?  The table I've been using measures 0.003 to 0.006" across 48", that is one or two sheets of looseleaf paper thickness.  The table is a heavy sheet steel work bench with 3/8" thick  sheetrock on top.  It bows in the center. 
Thank you
Paul
Maspeth Drifter

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Table / board flatness
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »
Hi, I've seen a few comments on using glass, granite and other materials for a flat table for building.  What's an adequate table flatness?  The table I've been using measures 0.003 to 0.006" across 48", that is one or two sheets of looseleaf paper thickness.

Good enough, as long as it stays that way under load.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
So. Go to a lot of work and expense getting your table top perfectly flat. Then, after covering and painting your perfect wing, it warps!
They all warp somewhat.  All your hard work making your table flat has been wasted.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
So. Go to a lot of work and expense getting your table top perfectly flat. Then, after covering and painting your perfect wing, it warps!
They all warp somewhat.  All your hard work making your table flat has been wasted.

Oy gevalt.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »

So, just so I understand this, you are supposed to use a warped building board, build a warped wing, then paint it flat??

If it warps when you paint it , it wasn't right in the first place. A wing of proper design, build correctly should not warp at all through the finishing process. I have found that the biggest cause of most warps are people forcing things to fit when assembling things and building in stresses into the structures, along with bad fitting glue joints.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »
     So, just so I understand this, you are supposed to use a warped building board, build a warped wing, then paint it flat??

Today's philosophy lesson, for all those kids out there - "Trying is the first step towards failing - so never try.  NEVER!"

Brett

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:31:20 PM »
.003 to .006 over 48" will not really affect anything .  I would love to have a board that flat.

Offline Paul Kobe

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »
Thanks all.
Maspeth Drifter

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
Thanks all.

The unfortunate negativity aside, there is a kernel of a point. Having a good reference plane to work from is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for building straight airplanes. Dan notes some of them, forcing parts into place, glue shrinkage, covering shrinkage, etc. It's really an art.

For what it is worth, a sheeted foam wing is probably the most stable and reliable way to make a wing that is straight and stays that way. A rigid table that will stay within .010-.015 under the 200 lb loads required to weight it down is a great place to start with that, and pretty much mandatory for success.

Every kind of built-up construction is much more prone to shifting it's shape as the various components shrink or warp. some more than others.

Brett

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 05:22:56 PM »
Some of us don't have the luxury of a great big flat surface to build on so we use what we can.  One of them is the good old rod jig.  You can build on almost anything if you can keep the rods straight.  I have built wings on hotel closet doors laid out on the 2nd bed while on TDY in the service.  I have used dressers, floors and dorm desks all, well most, of which flew without the need of trim tabs.  I envy those of you who have "shops" equipped to build perfect airplanes but not having one is not an excuse not to try.

The trick in "free form" building is to NEVER BUILD IN STRESS and use CA wherever possible.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
   The unfortunate negativity aside, there is a kernel of a point. Having a good reference plane to work from is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for building straight airplanes. Dan notes some of them, forcing parts into place, glue shrinkage, covering shrinkage, etc. It's really an art.

For what it is worth, a sheeted foam wing is probably the most stable and reliable way to make a wing that is straight and stays that way. A rigid table that will stay within .010-.015 under the 200 lb loads required to weight it down is a great place to start with that, and pretty much mandatory for success.

Every kind of built-up construction is much more prone to shifting it's shape as the various components shrink or warp. some more than others.

Brett

Ahh, the key element! A flat REFERENCE! How are you gonna know what's warped without a decent datum?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 02:42:49 PM »
i have a flat bench. Then I use adjustable jigs and a laser level. Works for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »
One of the best-flying models I have built was framed up on top of a dresser in a motel room in Sunnyvale, CA. (1962)
We lived in a motel for several weeks while our newly-purchased home was getting a restoration.

I wonder what the motel people thought of all that balsa dust and shavings. I tried to be neat and clean up every night, but that wasn't easy.

The point is; I have no idea how flat the dresser was, but apparently within the limits of the "flatbuildingboard" folks.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here