News:

• May 09, 2024, 12:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swept Forward Trailing Edge and Control Horns!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 711 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Swept Forward Trailing Edge and Control Horns!!!! HELP!!!
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
currently I am building the RSM Mosquito kit - and doing a build article as I go - but....

I have  hit a snag with the flap horns in that, as they are on a swept forward trailing edge and have very little space between them, they touch in the middle when full up is applied.

what is the best way to get around this problem? 

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Swept Forward Trailing Edge and Control Horns!!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »
Hi Wynn,

On a swept foward trailing edge, a flat should be sanded where the horns.  The flat must be 90 degrees perpendicular from the centerline of the aircraft fuselage.  If you do that, there will be no binding when up or down is deployed.

Now I'm not sure what you mean by something having very little space between them, and they touch in the middle when full up is applied.

Matt Colan

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »
matt - it is not possible to sand a flat in the trailing edge - the design does not allow for this. also. if I did that, it is not physically possible for the control horns to go into the flaps and have movement both ways without twisting and therefore breaking the flap.   even with lucky boxes installed to allow for some movement - the forward sweep is such that the movent in the horizontal plane when the controls are delfected would require a lucky box approximately 2" wide to allow the full range of motion

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
What is the forward sweep? I laid up a trailing edge with 15 degree forward sweep, and the lucky box only had to be 1 1/8" wide. If it takes more than that, it's got to be a lot. y1
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
Wynn:
Sounds like your only choice is to splay the horns some.  In the rear view bend them a couple degrees so they lean apart. (bend them the same amount)  That will let them travel a little farther before they touch.

Not elegant but it will work...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
Hi Wynn,
(snip)
Now I'm not sure what you mean by something having very little space between them, and they touch in the middle when full up is applied.

Hi Matt,

On this design (and a lot of older ones) when a swept forward TE was employed, two *half horns* (one for each flap) were used with a split pushrod.  Same for some V tails (all, I guess! LOL!!)

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here