News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SV fuse construction  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
SV fuse construction
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
Just starting construction of a slightly downsized Staris for my PA40UL as per Randy's recommendation.  I have only built one other SV design [Novar] and it came out on the heavy side.  On the Novar I used plywood [either 1/16 or 3/32] fuse doublers instead of the balsa/cf lamination.  Even thought I think the heavy weight on the Novar had much more to do with the finish than the doubler material, this time I want to stick to the plan and use the balsa doublers.  So I wanted to ask those who have built SV's in the light to moderate weight range what weight balsa did you use for the 1/8" balsa fuse sides and also the balsa doublers.  
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: SV fuse construction
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
Why not get the SV 40 plan from Randy and build that?

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »
Why not get the SV 40 plan from Randy and build that?
Do you know span and area on the SV 40 ?  That design is listed as a 35-40 engine size.  The downsized Staris will be around 56" and 620~630 area which Randy said is a sweet spot for the 40UL.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
Personally, I used laminated 1/64" plywood on the nose.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
Just starting construction of a slightly downsized Staris for my PA40UL as per Randy's recommendation.  I have only built one other SV design [Novar] and it came out on the heavy side.  On the Novar I used plywood [either 1/16 or 3/32] fuse doublers instead of the balsa/cf lamination.  Even thought I think the heavy weight on the Novar had much more to do with the finish than the doubler material, this time I want to stick to the plan and use the balsa doublers.  So I wanted to ask those who have built SV's in the light to moderate weight range what weight balsa did you use for the 1/8" balsa fuse sides and also the balsa doublers.  

Hi Allan
I use light 6 pound wood for the fuse side, and a little harder/stiffer B or  C grain for the doublers, this will yeild a very strong fuse side, that has a thicker edge for the cowling to sit on, and is not a flexible as the thin ply way, it also absorbs vibration better, and has a larger are at the edge for the wing glue joint.

Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »
I suppose it a matter of weight versus strength. Mine seem to work fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
Well like I said I want to stick to the plans design this time.  I like what Randy pointed out about the wider seating surface for the cowl and wing, and also the vibration absorbtion.  But just for comparison when I get the balsa doublers made up I will weight them to compare to various thickness plywood doublers.  
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »

I would never use more that 1/32 ply as a doubler and I generally use 1/64. 1/16 or 3/32 is WAY too heavy and you only need that on the real shakers like the ST60.

Brett.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here