News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SV fuse construction  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
SV fuse construction
« on: July 11, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
Randy's SV designs use 1/8"balsa laminated with a layer of cf as fuse doublers instead of ply.  My question is what weight of balsa should be used for the doubler stock, same light material as the full length fuse sides or something more in the medium range like 8-10 lb balsa ? 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: SV fuse construction
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »
Randy's SV designs use 1/8"balsa laminated with a layer of cf as fuse doublers instead of ply.  My question is what weight of balsa should be used for the doubler stock, same light material as the full length fuse sides or something more in the medium range like 8-10 lb balsa ?

Allan   I use  6 pound for fuse sides  and  6 to 7 pound of a different grain  B or C  grain for the  doublers,  then  laminate  it with  .5 oz  CF mat, it makes for a light very stiff fuse that absorbs vibration well and  give a wider seat for the cowl edge to sit, and makes for a more stable side..in the fact it does not move or warp after paint so your cowl no longer fits right

Randy

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: SV fuse construction
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
Allan   I use  6 pound for fuse sides  and  6 to 7 pound of a different grain  B or C  grain for the  doublers,  then  laminate  it with  .5 oz  CF mat, it makes for a light very stiff fuse that absorbs vibration well and  give a wider seat for the cowl edge to sit, and makes for a more stable side..in the fact it does not move or warp after paint so your cowl no longer fits right

Randy
Thanks Randy, I'm sold on the design, was just wondering about balsa selection.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here