News:

• May 16, 2024, 07:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stencils?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Stencils?
« on: April 29, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

For those of you who use stenciles and use them correctly, which excludes me. How are you holding them fast to your target? double sided carpet tape?

I have just finished wet sanding RED stars from a white Cavalier wing and do not wish to repeat this exercise. I used double sided carpet tape to hold the stencile fast and a airbrush to apply them. The red dope bled under the tape, which I thought to be well laid!

I guess the next step is to take a small brush and paint clear over the stars edges but first I'll listen to any comments.

Mike Clark
Mike Clark

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Stencils?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »
I have low tack sign mask. But most people use friskit paper. You can use shelf paper if that all you can get. Cut your stencils and stick it down.
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 09:09:55 PM »
Thanks Robert.
Mike Clark

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »
The real pros simply design what they want on their computer and take it to a sign shop and have a vinyl stencil cut.  As said, I don't do it that way.  If you don't want real sharp edges, you can just cut a stencil out of paper and lay it down and spray.  I did the bottom of a Twister wing  with a bunch of randomly placed different color stars.  Looked pretty good at a distance.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 07:25:12 AM »
Here is shot of how I do it. This is low tack sign mask.

AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »
I just got back from the sign shop. I took a set of Satona plans so he could get the dimensions right. I am having him cut STUNT HANGAR .COM that will fill the entire underside of the wing. Some numbers and AMA and FAI and son other things. I will pick them up at 3:00. I can hardly wait! It will cost about 30-40.00 to have him do it on my material but to me its worth it. I will post them tonight when I start painting.

I am also going to try a panel line pen from Top Flight on the model. Just to see if I can rid myself of using the Rapidograph pens
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »
Here is the bottom stencils.
AMA 12366

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »
Sparky, thats gonna look awesome overhead with Stunt Hangar on the lower surface.   y1

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
If you have found a source for the low-tack vinyl, then the same supplier will likely have low-tack paper that is intended to be applied to the top the the stencil. It holds the stencil in one plane while you apply it. It also locates the center of letters  like 0 and P. When the stencil is down, the paper is removed. It is not mandatory of course, but it does make applying those large and intricate stencils a lot easier.

Regards,
Monty S.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Am lucky enough to have my own vinyl cutter, will only cut 6 inch tall letters max but works well. Went through all the sign vinyl and frisket I could stand then finally settled on white Contact shelf paper. Frisket was too sticky, so tried low tack frisket, worked OK but being clear it was difficult for these old eyes to see the stuff when I was trying to position small graphics. Sigh vinyl works OK and isn't clear but like frisket it's a whole lot more expensive than shelf paper.

I haven't found a down side to shelf paper, it's inexpensive, haven't had any trouble with paint bleeding under the edges and it is easy to remove. I use hardware store low tack masking tape for a backing to hold everything in place when applying the stencil to the airplane making for a cheap system that works. All the Graphics on the two SHIMS pictured in the Brodak .25 thread below were done with shelf paper.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:07:15 AM »
I stole a roll of shelving paper from my wife.  It is translucent and has just the right amount of tack.  I draw the design the old fashion way on vellum using drafting curves and rulers.  Then tape the design down and cut out the shelf paper which is taped over it. 

When I airbrush the paint over it, the first two coats are light and I left them flash off.  This seals the edges well.  Then the coats are still fairly light, but I go until coverage is obtained.

I ddi this to replicate the lettering on my copy of Steve Wolley's Argus and they looked like the gold decals originally used.

This takes longer, but the cost is negligable!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here