News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting construction on the 2 Bits Bipe  (Read 21519 times)

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Starting construction on the 2 Bits Bipe
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
It's great to finally be starting this project. It's been a long time coming. After a scare when I found that the box of laser cut parts was delivered yesterday while I was out flying with the boys, and no box was in sight.

After looking around the surrounding area relavant to my front porch, I found where the driver had stashed it.

First, I was pleased with the box and packing National Balsa shipped the parts in. Since I felt that this one was for me, I ordered their bargain grade light balsa. I felt the quality of the wood was not bad at all, and the savings was decent.

I cleaned off the work bench, and laid out the parts. Here they are as I recieved them, and as I sortd them out, and re-bagged them to sub- assemblies. I like to do this with every build so I can keep track of, and avoid damage to the parts.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Starting construction on the 2 Bits Bipe
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
All right! Here we go. John, everybody is going to be watching this build with interest. Bi-planes are very cool and there are not a lot of good designs for them available. So, we're all hoping yours is a real winner so you can kit it and become rich beyond your wildest dreams and famous throught the world.

Let the story begin......
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
Whoops

Didn't mean to quote the post again.

Thanks Clint, but I'm a follower of Larry Cuningham s devotion to stunt. I also am only in it for the women and the money. LL~ LL~ VD~

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
Didn't mean to quote the post again.

Thanks Clint, but I'm a follower of Larry Cuningham s devotion to stunt. I also am only in it for the women and the money. LL~ LL~ VD~

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the women. You shall be adored by all.

Now get to work.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »
 John,

Maybe I missed it somewhere, did NB simply do all the cutting from files that you developed and sent to them or...?

If it all works out to be a nice performer maybe we could tweak the outlines into a P6E Hawk or a Super Stearman! VD~

Thanks for the post John, I'll be watching with interest.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
Yes, I sent them the cutfiles i developed from the CAD drawing. To be honest, I've used several cutters in the past, and recieved great service from them all. My main reason for using NB this time is the convenience of buying the balsa and the cutting at the same scource. Saved some time and at least one shipping charge.

A P6E would look great wouldn't it? I have to keep focus, and see how this project works out. If it's good, I'd be open to things like that. y1

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
John,

Better get going. 3 weeks till the Regionals.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
I like what I am seeing already. :)
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
After counting all the parts, and checking agianst my pattern sheet, it became clear that one entire plywood sheet was missed in the cutting. In addition, there's the case of two identical parts, and only one was there.

I contacted the cutter, and he replied immediatly, apologising for the oversight, and letting me know that the parts would be cut and shiped that very day. I can't really ask for much better service, and with the amount of parts for this design, can readily see how it could happen.

So, this after noon and eveniing I'll be making laminations. To save on weight, I'll laminate 3/32" balsa, with 1/64" ply on each side, rather than use 1/8" plywood. I've been doing this for years, and have yet to see a part fail. I believe the laminations are very close to the ply in stregnth, at about half the  weight.

I'll take pictures of the processs, and post them later.

H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
And how many parts are there? LL~ LL~ Also forget the women, they just cost more money. VD~ Also don't forget the pictures as you go.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
And how many parts are there? LL~ LL~ Also forget the women, they just cost more money. VD~ Also don't forget the pictures as you go.   H^^

Doc, there are at least 100 parts, maybe more. As for women, at my age all I can hope for is a rich widow.  LL~ LL~

I started some of the laminations today. Of course, I went flying first, then I went to lunch, came home to a nap. Ain't gettin' old a blast?

I managed to get the cabane strut laminated, but I've decided that I need to get some more glue. I sanded, and arranged all the parts so I shouldn't get mixed up when it comes to actually doing the laminations.

Here're a few pictures of the parts to be laminated. H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
After counting all the parts, and checking agianst my pattern sheet, it became clear that one entire plywood sheet was missed in the cutting. In addition, there's the case of two identical parts, and only one was there.

I contacted the cutter, and he replied immediatly, apologising for the oversight, and letting me know that the parts would be cut and shiped that very day. I can't really ask for much better service, and with the amount of parts for this design, can readily see how it could happen.

Talk about fast service. I recieved, in todays mail, the missing parts. it was friday that I let him know about the missing parts.

Today, I found a local company that manufactures CF tubing. Since they were located just a few miles away, I went to their plant to pick up the CF tubes needed for the take apart wings. They were very helpful, and I wound up with parts that fit together perfectly for what I believe was a reasonable cost.

I also picked up some glues from the LHS and can get going again now that I have all the parts and stuff. #^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
Now that I've managed to get all the parts together, and proper glue, I made some progress this afternoon. I'm attaching some photos of the Carbon Fiber tubes I'll be using to join the wings with. While I was there at the plant, they were able to better understand what my needs were. They cut the tubes exactly to the legnths I wanted. They also sanded the O.D. of the inner tube so it slips into the outer tube like silk.

I'm totally amazed at the stregnth. The outer tube alone, I found impossible to bend in any way. It's O.D. is .375". The weight of each tube assy is 1.4 oz.

Now, the laminated parts. I've attached a picture of them. If made out of 1/8" 3 ply. i suspect the weight would be over 6 oz's. Laminated, they come to 2.75 oz's. and are about the same stregnth.

Next, I'll build the stab and elevators.

HH%%

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
John,
I must have missed it somewhere, are you doing removable wings with the carbon tubes? Same Idea I have been playing with. HOw do you plan on retaining the panels?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
Yeah Mark, the entire plane will be a take apart. Both wings come off, and then split into two pieces. The CF tubes will carry the load as the load on biplanes are right in the middle of the wing. The mount that connects the top wing to the cabane strut holds both halves of the wing from coming apart.

The bottom wing has a pair of long tabs. You can see them in the laminated parts. They have an area at the front that come together with a large circle cut out and bolt holes on each side. These long tabs are attached to the underside of the wing. When the two bottom halves are slide together on the CF tubes, they make the complete lower mount assy. At this point, the small end of the tabs fit into slots at the trailing edge of the wing, and the front slips up into the fuse area, and is captured with the landing gear mount.

I figure I could use the same method for a mono wing model, and it should be simpler to implement than some of the other systems out there.

I'll make sure that I take a lot of pictures of this system for those that are interested. H^^

Online Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
LOVE IT!!!!!!! ;D

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »
Thanks to all who have taken the time to make comments. You help me keep focused on the build, and you are appreciated.

Today I'm posting pictures I took while glueing the Stab and Elevators parts together.

It's a typical Warren Truss style construction, with one significant difference. Notice the center section. I had to use a spacer under it to bring it to the proper relationship to the rest of the stab. The Stab and Elevator are designed to remove completely from the fuselage, so there're holes for 2 bolts through the center section. I am using a few lightening cut outs in the center section to try and lesson the slight extra weight that making these parts removable may add.

Once the Stab and Elevator were framed up, I installed the top and bottom 1/16" plywood reinforcement center pieces. Then the 1/16" thick outer balsa pieces to bring the center section up to grade.

The parts have only been rough shaped at this point, I'll install the hinge slots next. It's extremely important that these be properly aligned, and it's easiest to do theis before final shaping. I'll also drill the holes for the horn now, for the same reasons. I've decided to not use horn clips, instead, I'll use 1/8" x 1/4" sq. brass tubing which will give me the same effect as Lucky boxes. A little allowance for possible flap horn side to side movement helps smooth out the controls.

Total weight for the Stab and Elevators, at this point, 1.4 oz's.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
Looks like fun, John. The multi-piece center section looks like it's difficult to align, but seems you have it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »
It just took a couple of short pieces of 1/8" music rod.. :!

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 02:11:44 AM »
I'll be watching this.

The 2 Bits looks good as a plan, so it must look good built up too  H^^
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
John
You show all those ARF cats the error of their ways. y1
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »
I searched through the entire house and shop, and could not find the various sized rods I use to shape flaps and elevators. Soooooo, after flying with Gordy Norm, and Jimmy this morning, I managed to get to the hobby shop to pick up some new rods. The LHS didn't have anything over 1/4" dia., so it was over to Home depot to pick up a 3/8" dia. rod.

Since the Stab and elevators are made from 3/8" thick balsa, I knew I was going to need 3 rods to shape the trailing edge of the elevator. A 3/8" dia. rod to guage the hinge area, where I didn't want to remove any material. I placed it tight up agianst the elevator leading edge.

By placing the 1/4" dia. rod up tight to the trailing edge of the elevator, I am able to form a taper from 3/8" at the leading edge, by removing 1/8" of material from the trailing edge.

Now, by turning the elevators over, and substituting a 1/8" dia. rod at the trailing edge, I can now finish the taper on the other side of the elevators.

I know many reading this are familiar with this technique, but I've included the brief discription, and a few pictures to illustrate the idea, for those who may just be learning how to do this.

The sanded stab and elevators, now weigh 1.05 oz's.

I'll start the wings next. H^^
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:47:06 PM by John Miller »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
Looking good.  There are some of us that have to keep relearning things.  Thanks,   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Oh the joy, I dug the wing jig out of the storage shed, and found that a couple of the standoffs were damaged when something fell or got too close to them. Nothing serious, but it took a little time to reset them.

I quite like my wing jig. I have a dowel jig I used to use, but this newer one using the aluminum standards is much nicer to use. I built a base for it some years ago that allow easy adjustability so almost any type of wing can be built on it.

So first I scraped off the little glue dots left from the previous build. I cut out the wing plan from the plans so I could use it as a reference while installing the ribs.

A bit of tape on the paper keeps it lined up to the stanchions, and a bit of wax paper taped over the paper should help keep those glue dots from causing problems with the next build.

One of the most important considerations when using this style if wing jig, is to get the wing supports in level and squared up.

To accomplish this, I generally start from the center of the trailing edge, by setting the height first at that location. I next set the last, or furthest out board stanchion clamp height. It's most easily done by using a straight edge, and a level. Once the straight edge shows a level bubble, when stretched between the center stanchion clamp and the outer one, it's easy to slide the upper clamps up to sit tightly to the straight edge.

For the leading edge, you can use a level from the center stanchion clamp to the front center clamp. When it shows level, the rest of the setup is similar to what you've already done.

I stripped the 1/8" rib supports, and clamped them into the stanchion clamps

Eyeball it to assure it's all stright.

Using a right angle to keep the ribs properly aligned, you can no set them into place. I haven't glued them yet as I find I must do a little bit of work with the slots so they match up the ribs properly.

Enough for tonight. H^^

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Lookin' good, John! Keep on truckin'! #^
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »
Looks good John.   Jigs are great even if they do take time to set up.  Didn't get the jig right on the King Sweep and am now paying for it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
I managed to get some more work done on the wing yesterday.

The trailing edge was built up, and the sheeting installed. I put some shear webbing to help take any stress, around the CF tube. After looking at the large spans of unsupported leading edge, I added some half ribs. After all this, I removed the wing half from the jig, trimmed where needed, and sanded where needed.

I still need to form the leading edge sheeting, but I'm thinking of using Bob Hunts method using a small formed leading edge. The jury is still out, but I should have it figured out today.

Weight at this point is 1.75 oz's.

Here are the pictures.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
So, yesterdays tasks were to figure a way to form the leading edges, and build the other half of the wing so I can install the leading edges, tips and such, before starting on the lower wing.

I decided that since it was going to take some time for the formed leading edges to dry, that I should concentrate on them first, so I can build the other wing half while they are drying.

I mentioned yesterday that I was considering using Bob Hunts method of forming the leading edge caps vs building the bucks to form the entire leading edge in one step.

While looking through my stash of stuff for something that might be of use to accomplish the task, I came accross some of those preformed balsa leading edges. These were stashed away because they were very heavy, and hard. Unsuitable for use in anything other than a sport design.

I checked the shape agianst the root rib nose to see if they were even close. They were an almost perfect match. Problem solved.

I had to make a trip to the store for some Saran Wrap, and some Ace bandages. I wanted to wrap the heavy balsa pre-formed leading edge bucks so they would not suck in the moisture and swell up, altering the shape. I also found that the old style Ace Bandages are gone, having been replaced with something similar, but having the tendency to stick to its self. It turns out that this stuff works well for our purposes.

After cutting a 4" wide sheet of balsa to end up with 2, 2" wide pieces, I soaked them in the bathtub, in hot water, for about 5 miinutes, and then placed and wrapped them onto the forms.

While they were drying, I started building the other half of the wing. I was most concerned that the two halves line up properly with the tubing I was using.

It took less than an hour, and the wing was ready to try joining. Turns out it went perfectly.

the weight, at this time for the wing, is 3.8 oz's

Here are some pictures of what I did last night.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »
Todays progress is interesting. I first made note of the changes onto the plans, so I can update them after the build is finished. I also spent the time to actually make the changes in many cases.

I installed to leading edge cap, sheeting, and basically finished one wing half. The weight of that half is 3.3 oz's, but I still need to hollow out the tip blocks.

The last picture shows the almost finished outboard wing, connected to the half finished inboard wing.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
You're in the zone! It's going together fast. BW@
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 05:56:35 AM »
Like another person I know, you make it look too easy.    LL~ LL~  Still looking great tho.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
Update for May 19 2011. 2 days before the end of the world, some say.

I finished up the inboard wing, by installing the leading edge cap. I've found that it takes careful sanding of the reinforcing strip, at the nose of the airfoil, to get a good fit. I also found that centering the cap, and gluing it down the center to that reinforcment strip is good practise.

I've taken a bunch of pictures illustrating the processes leading to a finished panel. I expect to use many of these for a construction guide some time in the future.

The last picture shows the framed up top wing, joined. the legnth is 51.25 inches, and the current weight is 6.7 oz's without the tip blocks being hollowed yet.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Thanks Ty, let me know if you want a set of plans for the Adjustable jig base. It does make seting up for different wings a lot eaier. H^^

Today, I hit a milestone in the build. I've finished both the wings with the exception of needing to shape the flaps. The bottom wing came out a little bit lighter at 5.8 oz's. 

I've joined the wing panels to the cabane and tip struts using the bolts and screws that will be used for the final assembly. The weight of all these joined parts is 14.6 oz's.

Here are some pictures of where I'm at currently.

After the flaps are shaped, I'll be starting the fuselage.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
John, this is amazing so far I can only, no I know I will be in awe of the finished ship! ----LOUIE  H^^ H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
Yes I do John, but the dimensions would do.

Here's a few PDf's that show the dims and such for the jig base.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Great thread John.

Something not directly related but relevant none-the-less, can anyone tell us why some pics display directly in the discussion when we click on the thumbnail and others open a new window showing just the pic?

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »
Who now supplies the aluminium angles like the ones that used to be made by 95th Squadron?

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »
Geoff, I don't know who picked up the production of these fine standoffs that were produced by Aero 95th. Squadron in Colorado. Someone with some time, and a mill, can easily make them. I did draw up the parts, just so I'd have them.

Ty, de nada, Chief
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:44:47 PM by John Miller »

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
Of course, I'm out of hard wood motor mounts, so I tripped on over to Home Depot to see what they had I might be able to use. I was hoping for hard maple stock, but none in the house. I wound up with Red Oak stock. They cut down nicely into the proper sizes, but I'm left with a question. Has anyone a good reason why I should not use the Oak pieces for motor mounts?  HIHI%%

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
Has anyone a good reason why I should not use the Oak pieces for motor mounts?  HIHI%%

None. Just pay extra attention to any potential extra oils or resins in the wood that could effect adhesion. Cut those babies up, and hit them with a denatured alcohol etc., just to make sure.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the note about using the Red Oak motor mounts. I'll wipe them off with denatured alcohol berfore gluing them into the motor crutch.

Sunday being my B'day, I kinda took the day off, but today, I hollowed out the wing tips. all four of them. I epoxied in 1/2 oz of tip weight in each out board tip, before gluing the tips back on. Managed to get 1 oz of tip weight total into the wings, and didn't gain any weight from before the tips were hollowed.

I tapered the flaps, and test installed them into the wing.  I like the shape of the wing with the flaps on. Sort of a modern elyptical planform equivelent.

Here's a few pics from todays work. H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
With the wings framed up, flaps tapered, and stab and elevators framed and shaped, It's time to start the fuselage. finally.

I started today with constructing the motor crutch. I decided to use the Stalker .61RE.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
Todays tasks were to prep the fuselage sides, set up the fuselage jig, and begin construction of the fuselage proper.

Prep work on the fuselage sides consists of joining the pieces neede to fill out the fuse, since it's pretty deep, and 5" wide balsa wasn't available.
I then needed to add the tail doublers. Not every one uses them, but I like them for a number of reasons, not the least is the ease of making the access hatch for the elevator horn.

I have been using rare earth magnets to keep the hatch closed for several years, and no longer have to worry about losing that small screw in the grass when I need to make an adjustment at the field. I've taken a few pictures of the technique I use, for those3 who might find the idea appealing.

To prep the fuselage jig, I cut the top view of the fuselage from the plans, and tape them to the base of the jig. Cover with wax paper, and the jig is ready to use.

Since the 2 Bits Bipe is a wide body stunter, I use an inner nose assembly, that is spaced and the fuselage is built around the outside of theinner nose/ motor crutch assy.

I had the center lines for all fuselage bulkheads etched in, so I could have a good shot at getting the fuselage straight, front to back.

Notice the angled bulkheads aft of the wing. It really helps stiffen up the aft fuse without adding a lot of extra weight.

The last few pictures show the fuse in the jig. Tomorrow, I'll be removing it from those constraints, and start the exacting assembly of the parts that interlock, and hold all the parts together. It might take a few days to make sure all is properly aligned, but I'll take the time because it's the heart of the entire system.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
That is quite a project.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
I made some more progress today. I removed the framed up fuselage from the jig, and spent some time working on the bottom wing saddle. I made up the bellcrank mounts, but did not install them as there are other items that need to be installed before they go in. Besides, I need to get hold of Jim Snelson and see if he has horns I can use.

I did install the gear/wing mounting pad. as well as the receiver for the trailing edge of the wing. The strap like objects will be mounted inside the lower wing skin, and the bottom boxed in to match the fuselage. In practise, the tabs will lock into the pockets at the trailing edge of the fuse cut out. The flap horns remain with the fuselage, but the arms will slip into the flap pockets when the tabs become seated. The front area strap will be sandwiched in between the mount, and the landing gear. That should hold the wing in securely.

I installed the base for the stab, but have not yet drilled the 1/8" dia. holes for the registering dowels.

I couldn't stand it any longer, so I test fit the wings to the fuselage in the last 3 pictures.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
It's been 3 weeks since I started gluing parts together. I'm pleased with the progress so far.  The weight seems to be about where I want it so far at this point, all the parts assembled are less than 28 Oz's. I've yet to assemble the turtle deck, nose decking, cowl, landing gear, bottom of the fuse, and install the controls. I'm shooting at a final weight of about 60 Oz's.

I fitted the lower wing, permanently installing the mounting system, and building up the underside to match the bottom of the fuse, when finished. I first laid out the alignment lines so I could make sure the fuse and wing were aligned properly. I also made sure the wing was installed level.

The attached pics show the process. I needed to rework what you see in the last picture because the bottom under the wing wasn't quite straight enough.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
Continuing along, I've installed the mounting for the removable stab-elevator. The upper portion of the aft. turtle deck removes, and allows the stab and elevator to be removed. The pictures show the techniques used to accomplish this.

I test fit everything so far, weighed it, and took a picture.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:17:17 PM by John Miller »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
So, you stayed home to build instead of going to the Regionals? Smart move, it seems.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
As it worked out, it was far better than camping out at the field, in the rain. I've done that some years past. darn tent leaked too. Miserable time it was. The real reason was lack of funds. I love being retired, but it really has caused me to have to tighten up the belt at times.

Glad to see you got home OK. Probsbly just in time before the webs between your toes dried up.  LL~

Hope to make the NW at a later contest this year. I look forward to seeing you guys again. H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
I've found I must slow down and wait for some control parts, but figured I could install the aft turtle deck, vertical stab, and rudder. It now becomes clearer how I plan to make the stab and elevator removable. The pictures show the process pretty well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here