News:

• May 18, 2024, 10:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stack Sanding Ribs  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stack Sanding Ribs
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:45:35 PM »
I'm going to stack sand the ribs for my next project.
I'll use 2 plywood ribs. 1 center, 1 tip rib.
Do you keep the trailing edge straight in the stack?

What other tips can anyone give me.

Thanks
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Stack Sanding Ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »
I have done it both ways LE lined up or TE lined up. However the way I like to do it is centered. I sand both set of ribs in the stack. It lessons the angle. After sanding I separate every other on to inboard and out board. I hope this makes sense. I rough sand on a belt and finish with 220 and a block.
AMA 12366

Offline Joe Peters

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 05:41:46 PM »
Hey Patrick!
The trailing edge is kept even with the balance of the patterns kept symmetrical to each other. This is true for both D & C Tube configurations.  Remember my AQUILA?  I used the NOBLER Center and tip Ribs and made patterns from sheet brass.  I still have the Brass Pattern Ribs.   I added a rib to each side and re-spaced to make for a 4" longer wing.   All my ribs were 1/16.   All my Free Flight wings were made this way, only they had Flat bottoms.   I made ALL the Ribs in one stack alternating ribs assigned to each wing half and keeping the thicker ones for the inboard panel.   This saves a little time and theoretically gives a tiny bit more lift to the inboard wing.   If this isn't of any value, please burn.   You can get continuously threaded 4-40 and other size rod to bolt thru the Rib Stack.   What else you got?   I usually don't add my 2 cents .....but for you....Well you know?   Stay safe & God Bless,  Joe ::)
Joe Peters
AMA 269

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 06:13:35 AM »
I have one of the Great Planes wing jigs that uses two 1/4 rods through the ribs.  I use a 1/4 brass tube sharpened on one end to cut holes in the rib blanks and then bolt them together with 1/4 inch bolts.

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 04:51:32 AM »
Hi Pat,
I have a Windy video for the Miss Ashly where he shows stack sanding the ribs and the rod method for building the wing. If your interested I can mail them to you. Let me know

dave heinzman

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »
Good advice all. Thanks

Dave, I had the ribs 99% finished before I saw your post. Windy dose make good tapes. Your ok, no matter what Wayne says.  ;D
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 10:24:22 AM »
Patrick,

I guess there isn't any best way.   #^  I think a lot depends on the design and where and how you want the spar(s) to go.

For instance if you want the spars parallel to the leading edge or centered etc.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here