News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stab construction  (Read 2009 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Stab construction
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:41:48 PM »
I read a post recently where Brett  (I think) posted that he felt an airfoiled stab was an advantage.  If you choose this route can it be built as a built up/sheeted stab to save weight or is a foam stab a must to keep the airfoil?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Stab construction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:35:28 PM »
I build mostly flat stabs.  Usually a fake solid sheet tail for an OTS airplane.  I lay down a piece of quarter grain 1/32 and then build up the stab/ elevator outlines and a Warren truss (or what ever I feel like at the time) out of whatever thickness it takes to make the stab as thick as I want.  Then glue another sheet of 1/32 on top.  Weight it down between two pieces of 1/4 inch plate glass.  Cover with silk, silkspan, tissue, as appropriate.  Much stiffer than a solid stab of the same dimensions, and lighter (maybe).

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:38:16 PM »
One thing about a flat stab...You can get it in the fuselage at 0 degrees. Flat! Never can be sure with a curved (or angled) surface.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
I also build flat stabs. I learned how to do this from Les McDonald and I think folks like Paul Walker and Windy also build (or have built) stabs this way. If you build it right, it will be very light AND very stiff - one of Brett's major concerns.

I cannot say if there is any difference or advantage to either method. Brett's results speak for themselves, as do Les McDonald's, Paul's, Windy's et al.

I think it's easier to line up a flat stab than an airfoiled unit and think that is just as important as stiffness.

My two centavos.  ~>

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »
Wow,  flat or airfoiled............ hmmm.........

The two best flying planes I have had had one of each!  Neither were foam cores, and both were extremely rigid.  Of couse one is the USA-1 and it IS airfoiled, but it is built on a core as Ty described, and the center section is flat where it goes on the fuselage.  The "solid CF strip" .007 thick can be used in a lot of places to lend rigidity to the structure with minimal weight gain.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
I build mostly airfoiled stabs. Aligning isn't too hard if the cutout in the fuse is straight and you use an incidence meter. I mostly build them because it's easier to make them very, very rigid and straight and because I imagine that the greater lifting surface it provides allows me to carry the CG further back, though I'm probably just imagining it. 
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here