News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speaking of Balsarite  (Read 593 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Speaking of Balsarite
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
Anyone ever applied carbon mat with Balsarite then covered it with Ultracoat or Monokote.. Thinking about doing this on the profile fuselage I'm getting ready to finish. The carbon will add stiffness and the Ultracoat will make finishing easier than filling and painting.

After thinking about this, probably not a good idea as the carbon weave would show through the covering...

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Speaking of Balsarite
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with any composite is that the strength comes from the matrix of combined materials. the carbon by itself has little if any strenght until it is constrained in a matrix of resin or other material. So the resin, or carrier material is what holds the carbon allowing it to be strong. IOW its only as strong as the balsarite would let it be. My thoughts would be to put the CF on with epoxy then balsarite over the finished surface.
just my thoughts
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Speaking of Balsarite
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
What Mark said for sure.

Also, I think the Balsarite would prevent the epoxy resin from bonding with the wood.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here