News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Space saver for shop tools  (Read 754 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Space saver for shop tools
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »
I had to use my scroll saw today to cut some parts, and it occurred to me that some of you might be interested in the stand I built for it. It has a rotating table with my scroll saw mounted on one side, and a belt / disk sander on the other. A $2.00 fence gate latch locks it in position after you flip it from one tool to the other.

Construction is pretty heavy duty, 3 layers of 3/4" ply for the sides, 24"w X 32" tall and 18" X 24" for the flip top table. Bottom is basically a 3/4" plywood box, with the top and bottom pieces glued and screwed into dado slots on the inner surface of the side pieces. The reason the sides / top are made from 3 layers of ply is that they need to be rigid enough to sipport the weight of the 2 tools without bowing.

The top rotates on shafts made from some big lag screws that were screwed deep into pilot holes in the middle layer of ply, then the heads were cut off leaving the smoothe shank exposed for the stub shafts that drop into a pair of matching slots in the top edge of the side pieces.

It has casters on the bottom so I can roll it out from its storage place at the end of the work bench and access it from all sides. One of these days I'll clean up the work bench, I included a shot of that also. It is some old kitchen cabinets with a countertop on them, my 9" bandsaw on one end and a drill press on the other.

The Scroll saw / sander cart parks on the end between the bench and the tool box. Total length of bench and cart is about 10', and I have a scroll saw, disk/ belt sander, band saw and drill press + a 48" building board ( under all the junk).

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Space saver for shop tools
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
I used to get a magazine called ShopNotes. Came out 6 times a year. It was filled with all kinds of things like this. How to build trick router tables or endless tool storage. Some really great ideas in that thing. The subscription cost got a bit steep and I stopped taking it, but it was sure cool there for awhile.

You can see it here: http://www.shopnotes.com/
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
Sears used to have something like this.  It was one of their steel sets, witha particle board top and a triangular rotating part.  You could mount 3 bench power tools and easy change from one to the other.

I need to get something like this for my jig saw and belt/disc sander, and add a grinder.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
I made a contraption of 2" x 6" planks.  It holds my vice and my scroll saw.  Clamped to the table top when needed, stowed when not needed.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
Bill,

Neat idea!  H^^

Probably makes cleaning the saw and sander a snap too. Just spin the top over a few times, and sweep up!  ;D

Beautiful day at Delta Park today, and another good turn out.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here