News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:27:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: solid wire lead outs  (Read 1654 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
solid wire lead outs
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
Has anyone ever used solid leadouts. If so what were the results. I had them on a couple of planes in the 70's don't remember why, also don't remember any advantage or dis advantage. Getting back into hobby after 30yr absence just asking questions. Thanks
AMA 874027

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: solid wire lead outs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
My buudy Pat Johnston always uses them. I don't but that's mostly because I always manage to bang them against something. They work fine, though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »
There was/is a huge problem with K&S wire....breaks in the MIDDLE, where the wire should have the least stress....
Blame it on poor metalurgy.....
I know that Windy was a proponent of solid lead outs, but siggested 1/16" instead of the usual 1/32" or /025"....until he had a failure in the middle....now he uses stranded.....

The other problem that arose with bigger aeroplanes was that the standard length is 36", which sometimes cramps things a bit....
try to find 48" stuff....

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
i stopped using solid leadouts when one kinked at the leadout guide during a combat match (slight collision, both planes kept flying) giving me neutral and down.  Little bit of a disadvantage.  Nothing but cables on my planes!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »
i used them all the time  and had no problems nice and neat no cables  dangling all over and getting cought on your trunk or hatch sort of like fishen stuff. your choice

roger and out

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »
I use solid leadouts on all of my 1/2 A and smaller C/L models.  It is a good way to "recycle" an old set of .012 solid flying lines that got walked on.

Just remember to use round jawed pliers.  NO SHARP EDGES!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
I actually prefer solid leadouts, don't seem to have the problem with bending at the wing tips others report. Have no idea why I run into things just like everyone else, they usually just go sprongegege but don't bend. I have accidentally bent them but they were always easy to straighten out. Everything 40 and below in my fleet has .030 solids. The larger airplanes get Tom Morris bellcranks which come with stranded or some of them would probably have solids.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »
I use whichever I have handy.  Guess I don't have a preference, and don't have problems with either type.  I have been using a LOT of Tom Morris hardware lately and his are already attached using 19 strand (or something like that) heavy cables already wrapped and bushed with 1/16th brass tubing at the BC.  Easiest of all to use!  LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:15:16 AM »
The lead outs in the Tudor II I did were from Tom also, great work, lines nicely done at bellcrank
Steve Adams

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »
I have used Monel seizing wire..1/16..better than stainless..flexible..never fatigues..used for sailboat purposes..easy to work with..give it a shot!

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
Most of my planes over 1/2A use 1/32 or larger mw.  Always seemed easier to work with to me than stranded, although I also use some of the Sulllivan stranded.  The oldest plane I have with the mw leadouts is a Veco Smoothie I built just before I got out of the AF in 1968.  I have flown it with Fox, K&B Stallion 35s, and currently has a McCoy RH 35.  I have recovered it twice, replaced the beam mounts twice, and am on my second set of wheels.  Still has the original .045" mw leadouts, and Tatone brass hinges.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags: building tips 

Advertise Here