News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soft Block engine vibration dampening.  (Read 605 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Soft Block engine vibration dampening.
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »
Hi all,
          I have read with interest about the usual method of mounting an inverted engine in a hardwood crutch and them using a cross grained soft block between the bearers to act as a  vibration absorption method, as well as a structural stiffener.

But what puzzles me is how to adopt this successful line of thinking when building a side mounted full fuselage model.

I envisage the two vertically stacked 1/2" square bearers, side mounted engine and tank between these bearers acting as separators (and thus denying any of the traditional blocking in techniques between them) but with 1/2" soft blocks running horizontally off the bearers left and right behind the first former to join both sides of the fuselage together.

This 'should' transfer a lot of the vibes from the bearers  and spread it out towards the fuselage sides and then onto the wing, and in the process dampen out some of the damaging harmonics.

Thoughts on better systems please? Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here