News:

• May 13, 2024, 09:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slotting saw usage ?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Slotting saw usage ?
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
Hi ,

I was looking through CLC's "Misc Tools" list and came across this ...

Product ID: SCUT-1

Tom Morris Slot Cutter 1/16 x 1/8
If you build a “Lincoln Log” wing you’ll need one of these to cut all the 1/16” X 1/8” slots in the ribs and in the leading and trailing edge center shelf. These are two pieces of hacksaw blade with a piece of 64th ply glued in between, set to the proper depth in a piece of spruce.

I can't get a mental image of what , or where the slots are to be cut , or what purpose they serve .
Any help to get this clear in my head (pictures would be great!) would be greatly appreciated  y1

Thanks ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Slotting saw usage ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
Cleveland kits instructions had a similar little tool, with sandpaper on the edge, to sand longeron & spar notches to the correct width and depth. Worked the same, just a little more tedious.  

I built a few of the Cleveland kits, including an F-88 (? Voodoo) and a "Condor", a 6' span semi-scale glider. I think the biggest piece of balsa in that big mother was 1/8 x 1/4. Quite weenie! Zillions of tiny sticks. I finished it before we moved West...so 5th grade. It even survived the trip intact, somehow!  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: Slotting saw usage ?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »
Yea, Rats! Someone dropped a basketball on my Condor   :'(

But the sanpaper tool worked great. Glue (CA) a sandpaper strip as wide as the spar slot you need to make on a the edge of a like sized scrap of balsa. (You've just made a file the width of the spar) and file away on the rib as deep as it needs to be. I keep a bunch of these in my sandpaper drawer in all sizes.

w.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here