News:

• May 10, 2024, 11:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slick Way?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Slick Way?
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
Good Evening Sparky's Gang.......

My question here is simply.......Does anyone have a slick, cool - errr, easy way of jigging up D tube wings?

I'm working on my Akromaster and doing it how I did it in my attic in '70, but there must be easier ways!

Jim Pollock   HB~> H^^

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Slick Way?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
With only a few small changes, Tom Morris' New Milleniom construction does a great job with D-tube winds. It requires changing the LE and TE setup, but that's relatively simple.

Of course, the Adjust-O-Jig works just fine, too, once you drill the holes in the ribs.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »
Good Evening Sparky's Gang.......

My question here is simply.......Does anyone have a slick, cool - errr, easy way of jigging up D tube wings?

I'm working on my Akromaster and doing it how I did it in my attic in '70, but there must be easier ways!

Jim Pollock   HB~> H^^

Jim, 

I'll give you a method that is slick, cool, and an easy way to build a D tube wing, if you promise one thing....that you will post lots of construction photos for us to admire !!

The Morris system is, of course, a very well accepted way of doing it, but here's a system that I like, with jig blocks you can easily make.   A table saw is nice, but you can also get accurate jig blocks if carefully cut on a bandsaw.  In any case, you must clamp the clamps together, and disk sand to make them identical in heigth.   Then the blocks are lightly CAed to a flat glass surface.

This photo depicts a Fancher "Imitation" wing in progress.  Someone is bound to spot the tab on the bottom of the near rib, and question why I didn't use the tabs.  The simple answer is, that the tabs don't help any when the wing is flipped over to do the opposite side.

Note that the LE blocks are individual, the TE block is one piece.   That was just an experiment, and  the one piece jig did not offer any advantage, and did have a couple of draw backs.  I prefer the individual blocks.

I happen to use stock 1" x 2" pine, as it was dimensionally consistant, and readily available.  Other materials are fine, including hard balsa.

I also made this type of jig block that corresponds to a square leading edge that is rotated 45 degrees horizonally, like a Twister LE.

Even if you don't use this type of jig block system, we still want to see the construction photos !!

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »
That's pretty slick, Warren. Bet I could make those jig blocks on my router table, too. Now all I have to do is create a path to the router table in the garage . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
Built my last Eclipse D-tube pretty much how Warren described except lower tech.  I tack-glued 1/4 x 1 x 1.5 tall "feet" onto the LE and TE with the top of the feet aligned to a centerline drawn before hand.  Completed top side of wing, then inverted, removed and reinstall the feet and did the bottom, including installing the wing-mounted gear.  LE was capped and the TE finished up clean too.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here