News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silkspan prep work ?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Silkspan prep work ?
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
Hi ,

I've got my wing covered with medium silkspan and have applied four coats of nitrate (sanded between each coat) .
Yesterday I mixed up some zinc sterate and nitrate dope and put on a single coat .
Today I sanded out the filler coat and WoW ! I wish i new about the zinc sterate a long time ago .
My question is this ...

After I feel that the fillercoat(s) are finished , what is my next step ?
Clear butyrate , or a primer ?
I'm not sure if I should seal the zinc/dope coat or just go straight to a different prime material ?
Do I need a barrier coat before I proceed ?

Thanks ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Silkspan prep work ?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
I'd use more nitrate over the stearate/nitrate. This will seal it, possibly save some weight, and give a better bond with the first coat of butyrate, Dupli-Color, or whatever. Probably open to debate, tho that's my $2 opinion.
 LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
Rob,

Shoot it with a very thinned coat (like 80% thinner) of either nitrate or butyrate. This will seal stuff up. Then you can go on to a blocking coat or base color or whatever.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »
The only thing I would have done different was to go to Sig Supercoat Clear (high shrink) on the open bays after the silkspan was applied.  It REALLY tightens things up.  I like it tight! LL~

Otherwise, like Randy and Steve said, now.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Hi ,

Thanks Men :)

Everything is going good with the covering . As I have never used the zinc sterate before , I wa concerned with the succesive layers not bonding properly .
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
I think the major problem we ALL run into (when we DO have a problem!) is that we rush, or get in a hurry.  I can trace basically any finishing problem I have had in the last 20 years to getting in a hurry!  really...... y1

If you can stand it, allow several days between the sealer coat and your color coats.  Then a few days before the trim.  This will allow the dope to gas off (which it really does for MONTHS I understand!) and adhesion problems will go down.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:15:12 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks Men :)

Everything is going good with the covering . As I have never used the zinc sterate before , I wa concerned with the succesive layers not bonding properly .

Hi Rob,
Dope is pretty easy to work with but like all paints, some hard & fast rules apply to its use.  You can brush on two coats a day with one coat in the morning and one at night.  That is about as fast as you can push it.  Sanding sealer requires a least a day between coats with two or three days between coats are best.  Only use the thinner recommended by the manufacturer if at all possible and don’t mix them from one company to the other.  I know, I have used different thinners in the past and for some reason it all worked out OK, but be careful or at the very least try a test panel.

Simple Dope Rules:
1)   Nothing goes over Butyrate dope except urethane or epoxy as a top coat.
2)   Nitrate: Used under all paint finishes such as enamels, and rattle can paints.
3)   Use retarder as little as possible.
4)   Stay away from automotive primers unless you have made a few test panels and know it is going to work, FOR SURE.
5)   Always clean the spray gun with the cheapest thinner you can find.  Clean it really good and soak the pieces and scrub with a small acid brush.

It escapes me why people would risk their latest creation by using a subpar product such as rattle can paints unless they were sure of the results.  Maybe I’m just too fussy or lazy and don’t want to repaint the model so I take my time and do it right.

I know many people want to get models in the air as soon as possible so here is my recommended finishing technique for a quick paint job for a sport model with iron on covering on the wings, flaps, and stab& elevators.

Three coats of nitrate dope thinned 50-50 lightly sanded between each coat.
Cover the fuselage with silkspan.  Give the silkspan three coats of nitrate dope sanded between each coat.
Spray Lustercoat primer on the fuselage and allow to dry overnight (at least 12 hours).  Sand off the primer with 360 grit sandpaper making sure you do not sand into the sikspan.  Candle the model by holding the model up to the light and bouncing the light off the sanded area.  What you are looking for are low spots and imperfections.  If a second coat of primer is needed to fill in these areas, then repeat the previous step.

Base color: Heat the Lustercoat spray can up with hot water from the tap.  It may take a little time to get it as warm as the water from the hot water heater.  Some people say warm it on the stove but that bothers me a little from a safety standpoint.   Shake the heck out of the spray can for at least five minutes.  Spray the model with light thin coat and return the spray can to the hot water.  Let the first coat become very tacky and then spray another light coat.  Depending on the base color it may require additional coats to get an opaque base color. When satisfied with the base color let dry for 24 hours.
Follow the same procedure to add the trim colors if desired.
Lustercoat has a clear coat that really shines and makes the paint match the covering a lot better.  It is worth the extra time to do it.
Later,

Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here